Vet School vs. Graduate School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mglow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm probably posting this incorrectly, didn't find a relatable thread. My question is pretty much solely opinion-based and obviously only I can make the ultimate decision, but any sort of help or advice would be appreciated!

So I've been working as a vet tech for the past 4 years and have my BS in biology. I applied to vet school this past fall, got invited for an interview. Long story short, I was placed on the wait list. In the mean time, because I already spent about 2 years out of school and didn't want to "waste" more time, I applied to master's degree programs (biology with focuses in animal behavior/evolutionary bio). I did research in undergrad and enjoyed it for the most part, so my plan would possibly be to continue down the Phd route, alternative career of possibly being professor or maybe some different career that could cross my path, or maybe reapply to vet school with a master's degree. I was accepted into both master's programs, one with a fair assistantship. At this point, I still had not heard any good news from vet school, so I accepted my position at one of these master's programs and am pretty much all set to go this fall (already registered for classes, etc.).
After getting everything planned out for grad school...I hear from the vet school whose wait list I was put on...I've officially been accepted and only have about a week to make this decision...
I know I'm the only person who can answer this question, but if anyone has had this similar experience or has any input it would be really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you want to go to vet school, this is probably your chance. Especially if it's your in state school or something like that. Either you still really want to be a veterinarian, or you have found another path you like that will take you in another direction. You'll want to think about it a good bit - vet school comes with big debt in most cases, so you'd want to be sure.

But you're right - it's gotta be your decision in the end.