Vet School Bound

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VIN-Foundation

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The VIN Foundation is excited to announce the launch of Vet School Bound, a comprehensive website providing pre-veterinary students with tips and tools for the veterinary school application process. We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit provides tools and resources to support veterinary students and veterinarians throughout their careers.

Press release:
VIN Foundation Launches Vet School Bound Website

Webiste:https://vetschoolbound.org/

We would love any feedback or suggestions for any way we can help.

William Thomas

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The first thing that jumps out at me is the class size thing. Illinois 2020 may have unintentionally started with 160, but the actual goal class size is 130 (as stated on the school website).

Otherwise, it looks pretty nifty. Looks kinda like an online VMSAR without having to spend the money. Is it going to be expanded further?

I think that there may be a mistake with Tufts numbers... it shows in state being more expensive than out of state. That is definitely not the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the improvements to the COA map... but is there no longer a way to compare in state tuition/COA for all schools?

I thought it was a useful option. I mainly used it for curiosities sake but some people are willing and able to move to establish residency in another state so they might be interested in comparing in state costs--and then you have people like me who are just plain curious.

Hmm. Did you try downloading the map information Excel sheet? I believe that it includes all of the IS and OOS rates for all schools---or at least it did when I downloaded it before from the old Cost of Education Map.

I did not try downloading the information since I had no reason to... so maybe it is there and I just didn't know it. I just remembered the old map had a little check box where you could compare all of the IS (or all of the OOS) costs.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Addressing several comments:

We also want to include international schools and that's on the list.

Class size is based on actual class sizes admitted as we felt that was more significant for students.

I think that there may be a mistake with Tufts numbers... it shows in state being more expensive than out of state. That is definitely not the case.

The estimated costs are based on current tuition and potential future tuition increases based on the previous 3 years of tuition increases. An exception is when the school has announced a tuition freeze. What happened with Tufts is in state tuition has been increasing more (9.86%) than the out of state tuition (4%) so the model results in the in state tuition being more in the next 4 years. Accurately predicting future tuition is always tenuous so we've included the rules and assumption of the model as well as the specific data on the map so people can decide how credence to give the predictions.

Please keep the suggestions coming and let me know if there is anything we can do to help.

William Thomas

The VIN Foundation is excited to announce the launch of Vet School Bound, a comprehensive website providing pre-veterinary students with tips and tools for the veterinary school application process. We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit provides tools and resources to support veterinary students and veterinarians throughout their careers.

Press release:
VIN Foundation Launches Vet School Bound Website

Webiste:https://vetschoolbound.org/

We would love any feedback or suggestions for any way we can help.

William Thomas

"Step 5: Apply through VMCAS; make sure to verify your prerequisites"

You might make the word VMCAS a link to VMCAS?

Reactions: 1 users
Ah, gotcha. I didn't realize that the old map had that feature, but that is pretty nifty!

I really recommend everyone who is interested in a crazy amount of information about the schools requests the download link for the map info Excel sheet. There is so, so much good stuff in it: IS and OOS tuition rates, living costs, pre-reqs, rates of tuition increase, contract information, class sizes, accreditation info, NAVLE pass rates, etc. It's basically a mini VMSAR, but free.

Can you point me to where you can download that?

map.jpg

I think adding AVMA accredited schools internationally would be a great addition.

Is there an error on the cost of education at Missouri? It went up like $50,000 from the previous year. Also, it has $162,344 as the out-of-state tuition and then has the disclaimer "Tuition and fess of up to $122,072 can be expected if the student does not establish in-state residency after the first year," which doesn't make sense. Why would it cost less if residency is not established?

Is there an error on the cost of education at Missouri? It went up like $50,000 from the previous year. Also, it has $162,344 as the out-of-state tuition and then has the disclaimer "Tuition and fess of up to $122,072 can be expected if the student does not establish in-state residency after the first year," which doesn't make sense. Why would it cost less if residency is not established?
For the Residency part maybe it meant to say of up to that much more can be expected and it was just poorly worded?

Reactions: 2 users
Also, it has $162,344 as the out-of-state tuition and then has the disclaimer "Tuition and fess of up to $122,072 can be expected if the student does not establish in-state residency after the first year," which doesn't make sense. Why would it cost less if residency is not established?

That's a mistake and will be corrected shortly. Thanks for the head's up.

William Thomas