Vestibular rehab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharpieaccent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read about vestibular rehab emerging in the field of physical therapy. Can someone tell me how to get certified and if it's worth getting certified in?

I know the answer will be along the lines of "depends if you are interest in it", but I guess what I'm looking for is other posters opinions on why or why they aren't looking into it (or how they see the future of it).

Members don't see this ad.

Referral sources are coming from otolaryngologists, neurologists, and primary care if they know about it. It has overlap in the neurological and the sports populations as well as just general population getting vertigo etc. I don't believe there is an actual certification currently although you will treat it if you want to work with those populations

Adaptive exercises help the patient stop receiving recurring symptoms following concussion from sports or neurological injury. ENT refers for patients who present with symptoms of a cholesteotoma or Ménière's disease but have canalithiasis or cupulolithiasis.

It's use and implementation is low due to lack of marketing and patient populations not knowing that it can help them. Similar to how in ortho....msk low lvl pathology patients, at least the vast majority per yr, don't even get to a therapist quickly or know the tx can get them healthy again

Last edited:
I hope that helps. I would lean to sports or neuro and try to find physicians to work with and implement vestibular when it is appropriate due to the overlap.

I'm not sure how the caseload for therapists working with ENTs goes. I'm assuming they treat General postop Ortho pts from an adjacent surgical site or just walk ins and the ENTs refer the patients that have the pathology resembling what they treat to the therapist when they realize it's not surgical

Members don't see this ad :)
The Neuro Section of the APTA has a Vestibular SIG that is probably the best place to start for information.

Reactions: 1 user
I read about vestibular rehab emerging in the field of physical therapy. Can someone tell me how to get certified and if it's worth getting certified in?

I know the answer will be along the lines of "depends if you are interest in it", but I guess what I'm looking for is other posters opinions on why or why they aren't looking into it (or how they see the future of it).

I work at a clinic with 6 therapists that have vestibular backgrounds and we frequently treat dizzy patients with vertigo and BPPV. The therapists induce dizziness onto the patients by tilting the patients head in various directions, generally while the patient is supine. With the help of inferred googles with a camera projecting a picture of the patients eye onto a nearby screen, the therapist will assess the direction of the motion of the patient's eye to determine which semi-circular canal is the most likely culprit of the dizziness. The treatment is then completed with a maneuver of some kind, usually Epley, Dix-Hallpike, etc.

Patients think its magic as they "walk" in hardly able to stand and can sometimes leave after one treatment feeling completely fine. It is also a type of therapy that is in very high demand in my area (older population). Most of the time the demand from the patients exceeds the supply of therapists with the training.

I'm a currently a technician, heading to PT school this fall so their could be minor inaccuracies in the description as seen above, its simply my understanding of the therapy currently. However, after seeing the demands for vestibular therapy in my area, it seems more than worth it to get certified.

I work at a clinic with 6 therapists that have vestibular backgrounds and we frequently treat dizzy patients with vertigo and BPPV. The therapists induce dizziness onto the patients by tilting the patients head in various directions, generally while the patient is supine. With the help of inferred googles with a camera projecting a picture of the patients eye onto a nearby screen, the therapist will assess the direction of the motion of the patient's eye to determine which semi-circular canal is the most likely culprit of the dizziness. The treatment is then completed with a maneuver of some kind, usually Epley, Dix-Hallpike, etc.

Patients think its magic as they "walk" in hardly able to stand and can sometimes leave after one treatment feeling completely fine. It is also a type of therapy that is in very high demand in my area (older population). Most of the time the demand from the patients exceeds the supply of therapists with the training.

I'm a currently a technician, heading to PT school this fall so their could be minor inaccuracies in the description as seen above, its simply my understanding of the therapy currently. However, after seeing the demands for vestibular therapy in my area, it seems more than worth it to
Nvm

Last edited: