Very worried, didn't realize PTCAS counted both grades of repeated coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strivehigh

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I posted on here maybe a week ago asking about my chances with my stats including cGPA of 3.51 and sGPA of 3.88. These were calculated using my schools gpa calculator where they disregard the lower grade. However, I was under the impression that the PTCAS counted ONLY repeated grades. Here's the list:
Principals of psych: 1st time D+, retake, A
Child Psych: 1st time F. Retake, A-
Chem 1: 1st time C+. Retake, A
Chem 2: 1st time C-. Retake, B
Nutrition: 1st time C-. Retake A-

When I took them, it was my first semester and I didn't really know how to study. I retook them once I got the hang of actually putting in an effort. I've held almost a 4.0 for the past 2 years taking even harder classes, but knowing these classes still count has me worried beyond belief about my GPA. Is all hope lost at this point since departments will see these grades?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you meet minimums you have a chance. Yes the schools will see your early grades but they will also see you retook them and made the effort to do so and did better. I retook three classes and most schools only focused on the retakes, not the initial attempts.

Don't stress too much over what PTCAS calculates. Unless the school specifically states they do not, most schools recalculate GPA based on their standards (ie. averaging grades, most recent attempt, ect.)

Reactions: 1 user
Generally, you need to make at least a 3.0...but higher than that for some schools. Do the math and figure out where you are.