VCU Cert Program 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankeesfan721

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know it is very early but I just wanted to get the thread up ahead of time for this application year. I am currently a VCU senior and plan to apply to the program on January 1st. Any OOS or people unfamiliar with the city feel free to ask me any question and I will try to help. In addition, input from current students would be greatly appreciated.

And just to start with stats:

cGPA: 3.63
sGPA: 3.57
MCAT: 501

roughly 5,000 hours of clinical experience
400 hours of shadowing
200 hours of non-medical volunteering
undergraduate research in mycosis fungoides and BRCA-1/miRNA-155

Members don't see this ad.

My wife has BRCA-1, thank you for doing the research. As a fellow RVA resident, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, whether or not I get accepted into the program I will retake the MCAT. However, if accepted I plan to take advantage of the prep course in the spring. Any current or previous students have opinions on this course? Was it helpful?

I wish. I'll be applying for career changer post bacc programs this year to obtain all of my science courses.

Hello everyone,

I know it is very early but I just wanted to get the thread up ahead of time for this application year. I am currently a VCU senior and plan to apply to the program on January 1st. Any OOS or people unfamiliar with the city feel free to ask me any question and I will try to help. In addition, input from current students would be greatly appreciated.

400 hours of shadowing

How guaranteed do you think you are to get in? That seems like a guarantee.

Hello everyone,

400 hours of shadowing

I'm not sure what a 501 on the MCAT is but if it's somewhere around the average for matriculants you are golden. I got in last year, but I decided not to attend VCU.

Edit: I just checked what the percentile for a 501 is and I'm not sure what your chances are. The GPA is solid, but idk about the MCAT. I suggest using the free preliminary review they offer before you send in your application and see what the dean says.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what a 501 on the MCAT is but if it's somewhere around the average for matriculants you are golden. I got in last year, but I decided not to attend VCU.

Edit: I just checked what the percentile for a 501 is and I'm not sure what your chances are. The GPA is solid, but idk about the MCAT. I suggest using the free preliminary review they offer before you send in your application and see what the dean says.

I spoke with them today and was told that I was a good candidate for the program. I'm not sure how they will assess the MCAT this year, similar to medical schools, but I suppose it will just be a wait and see process

I need advice on whether or not I should retake my MCAT in January 23rd or in April. I hurriedly took the MCAT back in August and received a score of 495 (126/121/123/125). I plan on retaking the exam on January 23rd, however, I am a current senior that is applying to graduate schools/Post Bacc programs due to my horrendous GPA (3.43cGPA and 3.33sGPA). I want to be accepted to a Virginia program, if not a competitive program that is linked with a medical school, these programs require an MCAT score, the problem is that I need to retake the test in January when applications will be reviewed. I do not know if taking the MCAT in April will allow for me to be accepted in any program. The top 2 programs that I would like to attend are VCU's CERT program and EVMS Medical Master's program. Upon graduation I should have a GPAs of 3.52 and 3.4 respectively, my question is: should I rush and take the MCAT so I can apply to graduate programs or take it in April and apply to medical school in June. My GPA has an upward trend, 3.7 above the past 3 semesters and I plan on having a 3.6 above these next two semesters. I really need advice! I am also of VA residence. I also would like to know which post-bacc/grad programs I would be competitive at if I receive a score of 505+ above.

Thank you again for your advice!

Hey, So i'm in a similar situation as well with Jan mcat and applying to SMP programs. It comes down to this, if you take the January mcat are you well prepared to get that 501+? if not then just wait, take the April mcat and apply directly to med schools. The thing with that option is that you're risking not having back up with an SMP in case you get waitlisted or rejected for the med school cycle. Also I'd call the schools and explain your stats and ask the admission people how likely you can get into their SMP with just the current stats. If you can pull off a good score in January (based on how you've been studying so far and practice test scores etc) just take the January exam and apply to SMP now and in June for med school.
But I feel your dilemma, I'm going through the same as well.

I've been accepted to a few SMPs and am most strongly considering BU and Tufts but am waiting to hear back from VCU before I make a decision. I feel like BU and Tufts will give me a chance to get into a higher ranked med school than VCU and will make my application to med school competitive for a number of schools whereas the CERT program seems to give students a strong chance of getting into VCU Med with the guaranteed interview and it's stats from past years but students that don't get into VCU Med don't seem to have much success getting acceptances at other med schools. CERT is tempting to me because it seems like I'd have a good shot at getting into VCU Med but I don't want to pigeonhole myself as I don't really know what med school I want to be at. What do you guys think?

Also, If any current students can answer a few specific questions I have about the program that'd be great!

1. What is the grading like? How difficult is it to do well in the program? 2. What is the advising like? 3. Would you advise taking the MCAT immediately before entering the program (late June 2016) or the summer after the program if I'm planning to apply to med school after completing the program? I'm nervous about studying for the MCAT during the program but also think the program might better prepare me for the MCAT. 4. Are students that don't get into VCU Med successful in getting into other schools? 5. Are the students that get into VCU Med the ones that came into CERT with stronger undergrad GPAs?

I'm currently in the program for 2015-2016. Ask me questions only about the program since I'm pre-dental and don't know really much about medical. I may know some general stuff, but not about MCAT scores or anything like that. You can still ask if you want but I may not be able to answer them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in the program for 2015-2016. Ask me questions only about the program since I'm pre-dental and don't know really much about medical. I may know some general stuff, but not about MCAT scores or anything like that. You can still ask if you want but I may not be able to answer them.
Would you mind sharing your stats that you applied and got in with?

I had 19AA 20TS 22PAT / oGPA: 3.30 sGPA: 3.20
Do you know how many people they accept into the cert program each cycle? like how big your class size was? thank you for answering.

Do you know how many people they accept into the cert program each cycle? like how big your class size was? thank you for answering.
Our class for 2015-2016 began with 101 people (20 predental/ 81 pre-med students).
Right now, I know a lot of people have dropped out of program or have been terminated.
During the orientation, they told us that of 101 people, 30~40 will either be dropping from program or be terminated.
And of the remaining 60~70 people, half of those will get above 3.5 GPA and other half below 3.5.

Reactions: 1 user
Our class for 2015-2016 began with 101 people (20 predental/ 81 pre-med students).
Right now, I know a lot of people have dropped out of program or have been terminated.
During the orientation, they told us that of 101 people, 30~40 will either be dropping from program or be terminated.
And of the remaining 60~70 people, half of those will get above 3.5 GPA and other half below 3.5.
Wow that is crazy but thank you so much for the information. It was so helpful! I wish you the best on the completion of the program :) Do you personally recommend the program? How do you feel about it and if you can state some pros and cons if there is any? Again, thank you for answering all these questions I want to make sure I make the right choice. I went to VCU for undergrad and just graduated.

Last edited:
Wow that is crazy but thank you so much for the information. It was so helpful! I wish you the best on the completion of the program :) Do you personally recommend the program? How do you feel about it and if you can state some pros and cons if there is any? Again, thank you for answering all these questions I want to make sure I make the right choice. I went to VCU for undergrad and just graduated.
I think the pro for you is that since you are pre-med student, as long as you maintain 3.5 GPA and a certain score for MCAT, you will be guaranteed for an interview with VCU medical school, and you will be paying a cheap tuition. Pre-dental students don't get the guaranteed interview with the dental school which really sucks for me.
For pre-dental students, I feel like we can find a lot more better and established programs out there other than CERT, however since you are pre-med, CERT would not be a bad choice. But keep in mind that this program is nothing like you have ever experienced during undergrad. Better be prepared to live in hell at least for the Fall semester. Spring semester will be much easier than Fall.

Remember, if you don't maintain a 3.0 GPA or get two C's from the program, you will be terminated. This is a graduate level and is very rigorous.
How I feel right now after all this rigorous work, I feel like if I go back to my undergrad university which was VTech, I feel like I can get a 4.0 GPA with double major

Has anyone applied and heard back?

CERT is tempting to me because it seems like I'd have a good shot at getting into VCU Med but I don't want to pigeonhole myself as I don't really know what med school I want to be at. What do you guys think?

Also, If any current students can answer a few specific questions I have about the program that'd be great!

1. What is the grading like? How difficult is it to do well in the program? 2. What is the advising like? 3. Would you advise taking the MCAT immediately before entering the program (late June 2016) or the summer after the program if I'm planning to apply to med school after completing the program? I'm nervous about studying for the MCAT during the program but also think the program might better prepare me for the MCAT. 4. Are students that don't get into VCU Med successful in getting into other schools? 5. Are the students that get into VCU Med the ones that came into CERT with stronger undergrad GPAs?

Current student in the CERT program (pre-med). We started off with 103 and we're down to around 60/70 I believe, so do not underestimate this program. I went to UVA and am doing well, but there are many students from UVA or other schools who do not do well because they get lackadaisical in their studies.
If you are contemplating on VCU vs other schools, I think VCU is a good match if you are hoping to get into MCV. VCU prepares you extremely well for medical school imo, and professors are better/more supportive than at UVA. Also, the guaranteed interview (if you do well: above 3.5 gpa and 505 on MCAT) is very appealing that most other programs do not offer.

1. Grading is pretty generous, depending on the class. There are some curves, with averages floating around 70's to 80's. However it is difficult to do well if you are unaccustomed to hard work and if you are a crammer. You have to remain on top of each lecture and even be ahead to excel. I'd say that if you had a very prosperous social life, that should probably go out the window for a year. If you get two C's as a final grade, you're terminated from the program. For one class, if you got an 83 or higher, that counted as an A.
2. Advising is one of the best parts of the program. Our program advisor is a really cool guy and the other two program advisors are very helpful and always available. Haha hopefully I can be your program advisor for next year!
3. Did you take the MCAT already? You will have to take some form of graduate level test to apply to the program (DATs/MCATs/GREs). However, the two required classes in the fall (Physiology and Biochemistry) will prepare you extremely well for the MCAT Biology and Biochemistry. Also, there is a "free" Kaplan class offered by CERT. They provide free Kaplan textbooks and the course should be ~ $2500, so if you don't take this course, you're ultimately losing $2500 from your tuition. Don't rush your MCAT. You don't want to retake if you've hit a decent score.
4. That's difficult to say. Maybe lower schools, but if you're applying and have not so good stats, your best shot is probably MCV if you do well in post-bacc.
5. Not necessarily. You have a good gpa in undergrad and bomb CERT if you're not disciplined. If you're hard working then you'll get it. It all depends on what you put into this.

!!!!ATTENTION PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS!!!

I did the CERT program 2014-2015.
Got a 3.8 on the year (1 B second semester because I was focused on MCAT studying).
Got a 4.0 first semester (back when they had a cumulative final for physiology, which was killer).
Got a very high MCAT (95 percentile).
Have many EC's.
I'm telling you all this because I have yet to be accepted.
Do this program at your own risk. It is very expensive, and there are no guarantees. I thought, being a VCU alum and doing well in this program, I was a shoe-in.
Haven't heard a thing since I interviewed in August.
Oh, and to top it off, my interviewer didn't show up on the day of my interview. So, I sat in the room by myself after the other applicants had been taken out and someone finally came in and told me I would interview them (this someone is very well known, too - a little intimidating). My interviewer had gone out of the country, or something. I was in a bit of shock at how unprofessional it all seemed.

I don't feel like they care AT ALL.
For how expensive the program is, the materials were outdated. Who knows what they do with the $2 million they get for the program.

PM me if you wanna know more. VCU is a clusterfvck. Don't get me wrong - I'd go there in a heartbeat (in-state, MD, etc.). Luckily I got accepted elsewhere, but BEWARE OF THIS PROGRAM. If I were to do it again, I'd probably consider a program which guarantees ADMISSION, not just an interview.

Hey prospective students:

As applicants very well know, there are hundreds of possible schools you can apply to for medicine.
Overall, all schools look for certain numbers: MCATs and GPA... along with your extracurricular hours.
However, they also look for certain qualities in the prospective students as well.
Yes, all med schools are training you to be the same thing: physicians. But there are many qualities a physician must possess and certain schools value specific ones more than others. Some focus more on the academics while others focus more on the character or the passions an individual carries. Rumor is that some schools mix it up every other year :). This is something every school decides for itself, as medical schools look to graduate a great group of future physicians year after year. After all, each medical student is an investment by the school and state for the benefit of that community.
So I don't quite think it fair to say that VCU is a "clusterfvck" just because of the experience one individual has had.
Maybe the above student competed with many others with similar qualities for that one spot in the class. Maybe he is someone who is to succeed in a different community than the one we have here. Who knows...
Unless you're in admissions, no one really knows the complex process it takes to make up a class of 200+ students that can represent the diversity of our community as well as create a well-rounded learning environment for all.

Our admissions staff is great, but they recently had some transitions happen this past year so I hope what the above student experienced was a one-time error that the office can learn from. As an applicant, I can understand how frustrating such a circumstance could have been. However, if you want to be in medicine, one thing you MUST understand is that we are all human. We make mistakes and many of them can be fixed and learned from.

Now as for CERT:
CERT is for you to prove what you are capable of to prospective schools. Yes some of the material can be outdated…if you’ve studied sciences before though, you know that many things become outdated quickly in this field. However, the professors try their best to be relevant and to stay with the topics we can gain the most out of. Of course that is not to say that there isn’t mindless memorization involved in certain blocks as well. But I feel that it is a great way to prove your ability to handle a tough course load if you need a GPA boost and/or if you have been out of school for long enough. It is also great for establishing connections to professors in the SOM for LORs.
For many of my friends, as long as they put in the work, they have had very successful outcomes in terms of acceptances to schools.
VCU SOM is a great institution that is very selective about the qualities they want to see in future physicians. CERT helped me to prove one of those.

So yes, please apply at your own risk. Only if you believe you can challenge and prove yourself through this program.

Btw, I am currently an M1 at VCU SOM and former CERT 2014-2015 student who was accepted into the SOM after my first semester.

As applicants very well know, there are hundreds of possible schools you can apply to for medicine.
Overall, all schools look for certain numbers: MCATs and GPA... along with your extracurricular hours.
However, they also look for certain qualities in the prospective students as well.
Yes, all med schools are training you to be the same thing: physicians. But there are many qualities a physician must possess and certain schools value specific ones more than others. Some focus more on the academics while others focus more on the character or the passions an individual carries. Rumor is that some schools mix it up every other year :). This is something every school decides for itself, as medical schools look to graduate a great group of future physicians year after year. After all, each medical student is an investment by the school and state for the benefit of that community.
So I don't quite think it fair to say that VCU is a "clusterfvck" just because of the experience one individual has had.
Maybe the above student competed with many others with similar qualities for that one spot in the class. Maybe he is someone who is to succeed in a different community than the one we have here. Who knows...
Unless you're in admissions, no one really knows the complex process it takes to make up a class of 200+ students that can represent the diversity of our community as well as create a well-rounded learning environment for all.

Our admissions staff is great, but they recently had some transitions happen this past year so I hope what the above student experienced was a one-time error that the office can learn from. As an applicant, I can understand how frustrating such a circumstance could have been. However, if you want to be in medicine, one thing you MUST understand is that we are all human. We make mistakes and many of them can be fixed and learned from.

Now as for CERT:
CERT is for you to prove what you are capable of to prospective schools. Yes some of the material can be outdated…if you’ve studied sciences before though, you know that many things become outdated quickly in this field. However, the professors try their best to be relevant and to stay with the topics we can gain the most out of. Of course that is not to say that there isn’t mindless memorization involved in certain blocks as well. But I feel that it is a great way to prove your ability to handle a tough course load if you need a GPA boost and/or if you have been out of school for long enough. It is also great for establishing connections to professors in the SOM for LORs.
For many of my friends, as long as they put in the work, they have had very successful outcomes in terms of acceptances to schools.
VCU SOM is a great institution that is very selective about the qualities they want to see in future physicians. CERT helped me to prove one of those.

So yes, please apply at your own risk. Only if you believe you can challenge and prove yourself through this program.

Btw, I am currently an M1 at VCU SOM and former CERT 2014-2015 student who was accepted into the SOM after my first semester.
would you mind sharing your stats to which you applied to the CERT program in 2014-2015? and possibly the GPA you received in CERT please and thank you.

would you mind sharing your stats to which you applied to the CERT program in 2014-2015? and possibly the GPA you received in CERT please and thank you.

My GPA from undergrad was 3.5 but sciences was lower...I believe 3.2. MCAT was 32.
My CERT GPA was 4.0 for the year.

Thank you :) good luck on the rest of your studies!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Now as for CERT:

Lol c'mon you know some of those materials we had haven't been updated in decades, and the complex process is the same for every school yet VCU seems to screw up year after year (sending out the wrong secondary prompts 2 years in a row, etc.).

You literally had the IDEAL situation - you got accepted WHILE STILL IN CERT. We all dreamt of that but remained hopeful for the cycle for which we were guaranteed interviews. You couldn't say a negative thing about CERT if you wanted to, and I wouldn't if I were you. But you are the minority. I think you and one other person were able to do what you did. So don't go selling pre-meds on this dream like all they need to do is work hard. 80% of people going into CERT will end up wasting their money.

!!!!ATTENTION PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS!!!

I did the CERT program 2014-2015.
Got a 3.8 on the year (1 B second semester because I was focused on MCAT studying).
Got a 4.0 first semester (back when they had a cumulative final for physiology, which was killer).
Got a very high MCAT (95 percentile).
Have many EC's.
I'm telling you all this because I have yet to be accepted.
Do this program at your own risk. It is very expensive, and there are no guarantees. I thought, being a VCU alum and doing well in this program, I was a shoe-in.
Haven't heard a thing since I interviewed in August.
Oh, and to top it off, my interviewer didn't show up on the day of my interview. So, I sat in the room by myself after the other applicants had been taken out and someone finally came in and told me I would interview them (this someone is very well known, too - a little intimidating). My interviewer had gone out of the country, or something. I was in a bit of shock at how unprofessional it all seemed.

I don't feel like they care AT ALL.
For how expensive the program is, the materials were outdated. Who knows what they do with the $2 million they get for the program.

PM me if you wanna know more. VCU is a clusterfvck. Don't get me wrong - I'd go there in a heartbeat (in-state, MD, etc.). Luckily I got accepted elsewhere, but BEWARE OF THIS PROGRAM. If I were to do it again, I'd probably consider a program which guarantees ADMISSION, not just an interview.

The VCU CERT program is very transparent when it comes to the percentage of people who are accepted into professional school. In fact, we are one of the few programs that actively publish our yearly acceptance percentages. We have, on average, about 35% of the graduating class accepted into VCU SOM (an underestimate when considering about 15 graduating students are pre-dental) and close to 50% total accepted into professional school.

We are also very clear that we offer a guaranteed interview, not acceptance. Once you receive the interview, it is up to you to convince the VCU SOM admissions to admit you. There are many other factors that the admissions committee looks for besides GPA/MCAT. Particularly, during the interview, they want to make sure that you will be a good fit at their medical school. Unfortunately, it seems the student above did not meet some of their criteria.

If any student is unhappy with their experience in the CERT program, we always encourage students to stop by the office and communicate that with us. We value feedback and are constantly improving to ensure that students are getting the most from the program as possible. We understand the struggles that each pre-professional student faces and we are committed to helping each student along the way. From the point that you apply to the program to leaving the program, we will do everything possible to make you the strongest applicant. If you are wondering if the CERT program is a good fit for you, please speak to our staff; we would be more than happy to help. Call (804)-828 9501 or email us at [email protected].

--LJD

Last edited:
Lol c'mon you know some of those materials we had haven't been updated in decades, and the complex process is the same for every school yet VCU seems to screw up year after year (sending out the wrong secondary prompts 2 years in a row, etc.).

You literally had the IDEAL situation - you got accepted WHILE STILL IN CERT. We all dreamt of that but remained hopeful for the cycle for which we were guaranteed interviews. You couldn't say a negative thing about CERT if you wanted to, and I wouldn't if I were you. But you are the minority. I think you and one other person were able to do what you did. So don't go selling pre-meds on this dream like all they need to do is work hard. 80% of people going into CERT will end up wasting their money.

There's actually 4 of us who were accepted concurrently. And you're right. I did have the ideal situation.
You're also correct in that some of the material hadn't been updated. But most of the material we learned were the foundational things that you wouldn't expect to see changed drastically. Our professors were researchers so I do believe they had the most up to date info about their field, it's just they didn't see it as necessary info we needed for classes. Honestly, I don't know if I could have handled more info piled on top of what we covered. This is what you'll also find sometimes in medical school as well. We learn treatments but the "board worthy" ones are emphasized and recent advancements only mentioned in passing at times because by the time we're in residency, things are bound to change.
I do actually have comments on things that CERT can change, but I will be doing that in person with the staff.

I'm not trying to tell premeds that all they need to do is work hard. No matter what, grades aren't the only thing that gets you in. Like I said, maybe you were a better fit for the school you were accepted into. And I have no doubt you'd excel there. But I'm also sure that your performance at CERT helped you get accepted into your school.
CERT was only ONE of the many steps you and I had to accomplish to get into school. If the current premeds are placing their bets on this program alone, yes they're going to be severely disappointed. But if they see this as an opportunity to improve their application in ways they can't otherwise and in the process get a chance at a guaranteed interview, then this may be the right program for them.

just submitted my app! cGPA = 3.08 and MCAT = 507. will retake MCAT before school starts if i get accepted. nervous because it seems like less than 20 people get accepted per class but would be thrilled if i got to go this fall!

Me too! Good luck :)

Those are nice stats. I'm surprised you didn't get in yet. Have you though about DO schools?

Thanks, I appreciate it :)
I am currently on three MD wait lists, so there is still hope. I plan to apply to DO schools this summer when I reapply for MD as well.
Reflecting on my experience I definitely could have done a few things different and plan to this time around.

Accepted today! In state cGPA - 3.74, MCAT 507
Congratulations! Those are great stats! when did you submit your application??

Congratulations! Those are great stats! when did you submit your application??

Thank you :)
I submitted it on 3/23 I believe!

does anyone happen to know how many people apply to the program each year?

@py335 what were your stats? and how long after the interview did it take for you to hear back? Congratulations btw :)