VCOM Cape Fear Valley Medical Center Rotation Site in Fayetteville, NC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheFuture_22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a CUSOM student, and some of us will be doing rotations at Cape Fear in Fayetteville, NC next year. I know that VCOM students currently rotate there. I was just wondering if any VCOM students on here could tell me about what the experience was like or if they know anyone that rotated there, etc. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a nurse friend in Fayetteville and he can't stand cape fear. Says that there is a lot of shadey (unsafe) practices that go on there

I have a nurse friend in Fayetteville and he can't stand cape fear. Says that there is a lot of shadey (unsafe) practices that go on there
It isn't called "Fayetnam" just for giggles.

Edit: I don't rotate there and haven't talked to anyone who does, so I can't help you out, OP. Sorry.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Edit: I don't rotate there and haven't talked to anyone who does, so I can't help you out, OP. Sorry.
I actually wrote out Fayetnam but changed it lol. I know what's up

Thanks for the info! If you care to elaborate on what your friend told you would you mind sending me a direct message? I am just trying to rank my rotation sites for our clinical years, and would like to get all the info that I can to make a more informed decision.

Yeah, I have heard it called Fayetnam before as well, haha! However, I honestly don't mind living in a dangerous town as long as I get adequate training at the hospital there which is actually a decent size (I think about 700 beds). I have also visited Fayetteville a couple of times and there do seem to be safe places to live there, so I mainly just want to find out what the training is like there. Unfortunately, I doubt there are a whole lot of VCOM students on SDN that just so happened to have rotated there, but I figured it was worth a shot anyway.

Yeah, I have heard it called Fayetnam before as well, haha! However, I honestly don't mind living in a dangerous town as long as I get adequate training at the hospital there which is actually a decent size (I think about 700 beds). I have also visited Fayetteville a couple of times and there do seem to be safe places to live there, so I mainly just want to find out what the training is like there. Unfortunately, I doubt there are a whole lot of VCOM students on SDN that just so happened to have rotated there, but I figured it was worth a shot anyway.
I can't say for sure, but if you go to clinical affairs office they might be willing to give you a few names/emails of students rotating there.

Thanks for the info! If you care to elaborate on what your friend told you would you mind sending me a direct message? I am just trying to rank my rotation sites for our clinical years, and would like to get all the info that I can to make a more informed decision.
It was safety stuff- having untrained people doing stuff they shouldn't be doing, having significantly worse care for poor patients vs. more affluent patients, he just said he would never ever work there

It was safety stuff- having untrained people doing stuff they shouldn't be doing, having significantly worse care for poor patients vs. more affluent patients, he just said he would never ever work there
Thanks for letting me know! I will keep this in mind when ranking sites.

@TheFuture_22 How have rotations been going thus far for you? Did you end up choosing Fayetteville? What is the quality of rotations thus far that CUSOM offers? How do your classmates think of it?

No offense to nurses but I've often heard their opinions to be diametrically opposed to one another. One will say great things about a hospital or a physician and another will say terrible things. Just like anything else, individual opinions are often based on N=1 experiences. Same thing goes for doctors and anyone else, really.

@TheFuture_22 How have rotations been going thus far for you? Did you end up choosing Fayetteville? What is the quality of rotations thus far that CUSOM offers? How do your classmates think of it?
I did end up in Fayetteville. I actually really like it so far! I haven't really noticed any of the stuff mentioned in this thread, but I have heard that things have changed for the better at Cape Fear in recent years so maybe that's why. I have heard nothing but great things from my classmates at my location and the others as well. We have great core rotation sites set up, mostly at larger hospitals with plenty of pathology to go around.

I did end up in Fayetteville. I actually really like it so far! I haven't really noticed any of the stuff mentioned in this thread, but I have heard that things have changed for the better at Cape Fear in recent years so maybe that's why. I have heard nothing but great things from my classmates at my location and the others as well. We have great core rotation sites set up, mostly at larger hospitals with plenty of pathology to go around.
Thanks, very informative! :) i cant understand why no one, ever, seems to have anything bad to say about CUSOM. I honestly want someone to say something bad about the school just so i can say AHA i knew it!

@TheFuture_22 I'm looking at this site for EM residency, but they don't take students for audition rotations. Can you maybe tell me a little more about the site please? I'm a NY student comparing the Fayetteville site to the Lumberton site.
Thank you

I've heard that they will be starting audition rotation here in Fayetteville soon so maybe f/u with them about that. Fayettevilles ED is the busiest in the state, plenty of pathology and trauma (although some gets shipped out as we are just level 3 for now). However, it is a newer residency than lumberton so they may be more disorganized in the beginning. All the attendings I worked with in our ED were solid and nice people to work with. I think Fayetteville will end up being the better residency in the end but I think both will be solid as they are high crime areas with lots of trauma and pathology. I'm sure lumberton is busy as well but I don't know as much about them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did anyone here rotate through the surgery service and could maybe comment to the volume/variety of cases you saw? Interested in applying to their surgery program but obviously since it's new not a whole lot of info to go by

It's hard to remember because it's been almost two years since I rotated there, but I do remember a variety of cases. I feel like volume would be no problem there as well as it is a fairly large hospital and serves a large area. A few specific cases I remember seeing were a whipple, liver lobe resection, thyroidectomy, multiple colectomies, and a pyloric sphincter repair. I also really enjoyed working with the surgeons there. Much nicer than I was expecting. I also worked with the now program director. She seems like she would be a great person to work for. She enjoyed teaching and was very fair to the students.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users