Value of an Advanced Certificate in Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NicktheTooth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My school recently started a program where you can pursue an advanced certificate of Public Health along with your DDS (and have it all completed within 4 years). I was curious as to what value a CPH holds in regards to entering and performing in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

My school recently started a program where you can pursue an advanced certificate of Public Health along with your DDS (and have it all completed within 4 years). I was curious as to what value a CPH holds in regards to entering and performing in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
Probably not much. A certificate actually isn't too much extra education. I am currently doing a certificate of public health online through the University of Iowa (I am a DS 4 at a different dental school) and am only taking a few classes a semester for a year. I also don't know how much value that would add to an application to OMFS and really don't see it adding too much to the field in either skill or knowledge.
Plus, unless you actually like public health, it is one of the most boring topics ever studied. I wouldn't encourage anyone to go into it unless they want it for more than an application builder.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

zilch.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my Master of Science in Public Health and can't see that a certificate would do anything for you unless you actually wanted to work in a health department or something and even so it wouldn't help much.

I wouldn't be able to comment on the value of credentialing an MPH versus certificate.

However, with the current administration's goal of repealing the ACA, there's a markedly increased need for OMS as a profession to encourage novel and robust research in public health to supplement AAOMS and OMSPAC engagement in the public debate about reimbursement for OMS procedures. An article in press from JOMS by Dodson discusses how insurers like Aetna frequently cite prominent leaders and research articles in shaping its coverage policy. Public health research such as a recent paper published by Salomon and Schlieve proves the value of OMS procedures by revealing the spike in cost and number of ED visits for odontogenic infections after the state of Illinois cut back on Medicaid dental benefits.

But the problem is that there's a noticeable dearth in number of public health research produced among OMS programs. That same paper cites the possible reasons as "lack of recognition of its [public health research] importance, lack of expertise within the field, and lack of incentives to conduct such research." The second citation regarding lack of expertise is probably where that MPH or certificate could help add more value to your education.

Already, the reimbursement rates for facial trauma and orthognathic surgery are abismal.