Vaccine schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wucool33

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just a general question for Bordetella and DA2PP vaccines for a 8 month old dog without prior vaccine history. Is it the guideline for this case to receive 2 doses of each vaccine at 3 weeks interval? Or is it still okay to give the dog 3 doses of DA2PP? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, just a general question for Bordetella and DA2PP vaccines for a 8 month old dog without prior vaccine history. Is it the guideline for this case to receive 2 doses of each vaccine at 3 weeks interval? Or is it still okay to give the dog 3 doses of DA2PP? Thanks!

DA2PP is 2 doses at 3 week intervals then 1 a year later where you can move to the 3 yr vaccine.

Bordatella varies with the product. Generally it's not used unless your dog is going to be exposed to high density areas (such as frequent trips to dog parks, using doggie daycare or kennels) and has an increased risk of exposure.

Are you planning on vaccinating for rabies?

DA2PP is 2 doses at 3 week intervals then 1 a year later where you can move to the 3 yr vaccine.

Bordatella varies with the product. Generally it's not used unless your dog is going to be exposed to high density areas (such as frequent trips to dog parks, using doggie daycare or kennels) and has an increased risk of exposure.

Are you planning on vaccinating for rabies?

Thank you for the reply! Here's a more detailed version of my situation... long story short, she did get her rabies shot:

I recently adopted a female terrier mix about 8 months old and 10.5 lbs. At the time of adoption, she was spayed and received 1 dose of bordetella / DA2PP / and Rabies vaccine... all done at the adoption clinic. The clinic told me all vaccines are good for a year. However, the private Vet I took her to told me she needed 2 more shots of DA2PP and one more shot of bordetella. I don't think this is right. All the research I have done online suggests that for a dog her age that did not follow a regular vaccine schedule, she would only need 2 shots of DA2PP and 1 shot of boardetella for this year. So what should I do? I don't want to over vaccinate her... so far she has already received her second DA2PP and boardetella from the private vet. Should I listen to that vet and go back for round 3? Thanks!

So basically I shouldn't take her for another booster of DA2PP until at least next year, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply! Here's a more detailed version of my situation... long story short, she did get her rabies shot:

I recently adopted a female terrier mix about 8 months old and 10.5 lbs. At the time of adoption, she was spayed and received 1 dose of bordetella / DA2PP / and Rabies vaccine... all done at the adoption clinic. The clinic told me all vaccines are good for a year. However, the private Vet I took her to told me she needed 2 more shots of DA2PP and one more shot of bordetella. I don't think this is right. All the research I have done online suggests that for a dog her age that did not follow a regular vaccine schedule, she would only need 2 shots of DA2PP and 1 shot of boardetella for this year. So what should I do? I don't want to over vaccinate her... so far she has already received her second DA2PP and boardetella from the private vet. Should I listen to that vet and go back for round 3? Thanks!

So basically I shouldn't take her for another booster of DA2PP until at least next year, right?

Honestly, I don't mind commenting on general vaccine schedules but this situation is something that should be sorted out with your vet.

Don't be afraid to call and ask them about questions about why they think another booster is due.

Talk to your vet. The forum isn't meant for veterinary advice.

Also, @Caia mentioned switching to 3 year vaccine after a year, discuss with your vet because I still recommend it yearly. Seen too many parvo outbreaks in dogs who haven't had a vaccine in 2-3 years. This may be very area dependent.

Your personal vet is the best source for information on vaccines, talk to them. They'll be able to explain why they have decided on the vaccine schedule they have for your personal pet.

Talk to your vet. The forum isn't meant for veterinary advice.

Also, @Caia mentioned switching to 3 year vaccine after a year, discuss with your vet because I still recommend it yearly. Seen too many parvo outbreaks in dogs who haven't had a vaccine in 2-3 years. This may be very area dependent.

Your personal vet is the best source for information on vaccines, talk to them. They'll be able to explain why they have decided on the vaccine schedule they have for your personal pet.

I agree with you, based on what I have learned, if you would like to vaccinate a pet every 2-3 years, then you should run a titer test every year to make sure that it has an adequate titer. But the pricing for doing the titer is way more then just vaccinate them, so I would still vaccinating my pet yearly.