VA-MD c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought you of all people would be able to recognize a 2d butt.

:kiss:
you posted it on the wrong thread is the problem

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I felt super confident during and right after the interview. Now I'm second guessing myself so much. Ugh!

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt super confident during and right after the interview. Now I'm second guessing myself so much. Ugh!

I feel you. Here's how I see it. I thought some of the questions were a bunch of BS. I thought some were good. As much as they said the process was "data-driven" and accounted for bias, I saw a ton of opportunities for bias and subjective judgment to affect our scores. We are at the mercy of their system and there is nothing we can do about it now. Just have to be confident that we did our best! If we don't get accepted, that doesn't make us any better or worse of a person. Just means we didn't fit their rubric.

I feel you. Here's how I see it. I thought some of the questions were a bunch of BS. I thought some were good. As much as they said the process was "data-driven" and accounted for bias, I saw a ton of opportunities for bias and subjective judgment to affect our scores. We are at the mercy of their system and there is nothing we can do about it now. Just have to be confident that we did our best! If we don't get accepted, that doesn't make us any better or worse of a person. Just means we didn't fit their rubric.

Hi love2hunt! I am in no way an official representative of VMCVM, nor am I speaking directly for the school in this post, but I am a first year student and was a volunteer at the Career Services center today where y'all had your interviews. I did have a chance to read all of the MMI scenarios and thought that they were quite good, and were in line with the MMIs that I completed at other schools when I was an applicant. I'm sorry to hear that you thought some of the scenarios were BS - I know for a fact that the administration spent a great deal of time and effort developing the scenarios, and even more time going over possible answers to the questions! They also worked with other veterinary and medical colleges to ensure that the MMI questions were fair. If applicants score poorly across the board on a particular question due to it being badly written, that will be seen in the post-interview data analysis and will be taken into account, so don't worry about that! :)

They might not have been perfectly clear about the "data-driven" system that they use to interpret the raw interview scores and what that means. I did have a chance to talk extensively with one of the administrators about that process, so hopefully I can clarify some of the details! Basically, they use computer programs to search for and correct bias due to age, ethnicity, speaking tendencies, cultural differences, gender, physical appearance, etc. It is a very long and complicated process that actually takes weeks to finish! I believe that the results are also analyzed by hand, although don't quote me on that. In addition, they also standardize the scores between interviewers to ensure consistency. For example, they look for "hawks" (interviewers who tend to give lower scores) and "doves" (interviewers who tend to give higher scores) and adjust the scores accordingly. The interviewers also go through extensive training about each of the questions, and they are given a VERY extensive rubric that helps to make the scores even more consistent! Yes, there is always going to be some subjectivity with an interview process, but in my opinion, the MMIs help to make interviews more fair because you are asked the same questions as every other applicant and are graded on the same parameters! You are free to feel differently, of course ;)

Overall, I heard nothing but positive comments from the administrators and other student volunteers today about the applicants! Everyone was extremely polite and did a wonderful job. Best of luck to all of you, and for those interviewing tomorrow - you will be just fine! One of our professors told us that there are three things you should do before any big exam/interview: make sure you get a good night's sleep, take a warm shower, and eat eggs for breakfast :laugh: Good luck!

Reactions: 7 users
One of our professors told us that there are three things you should do before any big exam/interview: make sure you get a good night's sleep, take a warm shower, and eat eggs for breakfast :laugh: Good luck!

2/3 ain't bad. How many eggs? Gaston recommends 5 dozen

Reactions: 2 users
Hi love2hunt! I am in no way an official representative of VMCVM, nor am I speaking directly for the school in this post, but I am a first year student and was a volunteer at the Career Services center today where y'all had your interviews. I did have a chance to read all of the MMI scenarios and thought that they were quite good, and were in line with the MMIs that I completed at other schools when I was an applicant. I'm sorry to hear that you thought some of the scenarios were BS - I know for a fact that the administration spent a great deal of time and effort developing the scenarios, and even more time going over possible answers to the questions! They also worked with other veterinary and medical colleges to ensure that the MMI questions were fair. If applicants score poorly across the board on a particular question due to it being badly written, that will be seen in the post-interview data analysis and will be taken into account, so don't worry about that! :)

They might not have been perfectly clear about the "data-driven" system that they use to interpret the raw interview scores and what that means. I did have a chance to talk extensively with one of the administrators about that process, so hopefully I can clarify some of the details! Basically, they use computer programs to search for and correct bias due to age, ethnicity, speaking tendencies, cultural differences, gender, physical appearance, etc. It is a very long and complicated process that actually takes weeks to finish! I believe that the results are also analyzed by hand, although don't quote me on that. In addition, they also standardize the scores between interviewers to ensure consistency. For example, they look for "hawks" (interviewers who tend to give lower scores) and "doves" (interviewers who tend to give higher scores) and adjust the scores accordingly. The interviewers also go through extensive training about each of the questions, and they are given a VERY extensive rubric that helps to make the scores even more consistent! Yes, there is always going to be some subjectivity with an interview process, but in my opinion, the MMIs help to make interviews more fair because you are asked the same questions as every other applicant and are graded on the same parameters! You are free to feel differently, of course ;)

Overall, I heard nothing but positive comments from the administrators and other student volunteers today about the applicants! Everyone was extremely polite and did a wonderful job. Best of luck to all of you, and for those interviewing tomorrow - you will be just fine! One of our professors told us that there are three things you should do before any big exam/interview: make sure you get a good night's sleep, take a warm shower, and eat eggs for breakfast :laugh: Good luck!

Thanks for all the info! That actually does make me feel better, especially knowing that they adjust scores so heavily.

I still do feel some of the questions were just bad. On others, I feel like I absolutely could
have prepared for them (even when they said I couldn't). But it doesn't really matter what I think. VA-MD obviously loves the format and I don't think it's going anywhere.

Again, I do appreciate the additional info!

I got kinda upset because one of my interviewers wouldn't make eye contact with me. That was something I made myself work on. Just to have the interviewer not look at me.

I got kinda upset because one of my interviewers wouldn't make eye contact with me. That was something I made myself work on. Just to have the interviewer not look at me.
These are probably the type of things meant to unnerve you. I had a friend who got into VA-MD a while back and she said that one of her interviewers constantly tapped his pencil on the desk the entire 6 minutes. She later found out that this was done on purpose to see who it would be unable to focus on the task at hand due to that.

These are probably the type of things meant to unnerve you. I had a friend who got into VA-MD a while back and she said that one of her interviewers constantly tapped his pencil on the desk the entire 6 minutes. She later found out that this was done on purpose to see who it would be unable to focus on the task at hand due to that.
All it did was make me more comfy because I thought he was unprofessional.

Reactions: 1 users
Is keeping eye-contact really that important lol? I feel like I definitely could have kept eye-contact a lot longer, but for certain stations I looked down at the prompt for some more inspiration. I hope my lack of eye contact doesn't affect my ability to get in.

Is keeping eye-contact really that important lol? I feel like I definitely could have kept eye-contact a lot longer, but for certain stations I looked down at the prompt for some more inspiration. I hope my lack of eye contact doesn't affect my ability to get in.
I feel the same way. I looked down a lot because I do that as an instinct when I am thinking of something. That is not to say I didn't keep any eye contact, but less then what may be expected. I had the same concern....

Members don't see this ad :)

I wouldn't worry about it. So long as you maintained eye contact when talking to the interviewer for the most part, I doubt they'll take points off for that. I looked down during the interview at some points to recheck the prompt or glance at cards I had to explain and it obviously didn't disturb them too much because I got accepted without being waitlisted. I'm pretty sure I was obviously shaking a bit in some of those rooms, so you'd be surprised what they let pass. Besides, I'd say most of us felt like we did lackluster or "meh" in our interviews last year, so you never know! (I certainly felt that way, anyway)

I wouldn't worry about it. So long as you maintained eye contact when talking to the interviewer for the most part, I doubt they'll take points off for that. I looked down during the interview at some points to recheck the prompt or glance at cards I had to explain and it obviously didn't disturb them too much because I got accepted without being waitlisted. I'm pretty sure I was obviously shaking a bit in some of those rooms, so you'd be surprised what they let pass. Besides, I'd say most of us felt like we did lackluster or "meh" in our interviews last year, so you never know! (I certainly felt that way, anyway)
Did you guys find out sooner than the date they told you in the pre interview email thing?

I looked at last year's thread and looks like they found on Feb. 10.
Okay cool. My friend who is a second year said they found out before the original date so my fingers are crossed!

Did you guys find out sooner than the date they told you in the pre interview email thing?

It's as love2hunt said, Feb. 10th for us! Dr. Pelzer told us we would know by Feb. 14th at the latest, so any day before that is fair game. I assume it will be similar for you guys!

Reactions: 3 users
@FauxPaw Do you like VA-MD? Anything you don't like?

Yeah, I like it a lot! I come from a big city, so I worried the transition to a small town would be tough as it has been for me in the past, but the town is amazing and seems a lot bigger than it is because of its energy. The vet school is somewhat small, but that's actually kind of nice because you're never all that far from any one place. It's easy for me to walk to the equine hospital for rounds from my classroom at the way other side. All the students are helpful and friendly, regardless of year. The curriculum has been great, too. Still the same amount of material and still tough, but not nearly as stressful as the old curriculum. I love that tests are spaced out. It makes it easier to focus on my own mental health since I only need to worry about one or two exams at a time usually. We revisit everything as well, which is a huge help. Already this week we've been revisiting topics from the first block of last semester so we can go further in depth and cover diseases, and it's been pretty nice to see what I remember and how everything correlates.

As for anything I don't like: I do wish our cafe stayed open later. They close at around 2pm, which is tough on rare 8am-5pm full lecture days where I just need some caffeinated hot tea for that final stretch of classes and can't access it. The curriculum also has a few bumps, but we're the guinea pig class so that's expected and the faculty are very willing and eager to adapt based on our criticism.

I can't say there's anything particular about the school itself I don't like. It's hard to dislike anything about a place that offers you this kind of opportunity. That's especially true with VMRCVM because they've never made me feel like I need them; they do a great job of making you feel important and worthwhile, like they need you just as much as you need them and so you're not expendable; you're a future colleague. They know this is your dream and they don't hold themselves on a pedestal for delivering it to you, they just do the best they can to work with you. Heck, one of the administrators today, when I admitted I do best on exams by cramming for them, told me to do what works for me, then gave me tips on how to better my study strategies (personalized to include that cramming lol). Virginia wasn't my top pick. I've found other vet school campuses more impressive and I wish I was closer to home or living in a city. But if I went back in time and was presented with the option of going anywhere, I'd likely still come here. I love my classmates, I like the town, and I adore the school and its faculty. I feel like I can succeed here, and in the end you should pick your school based on exactly that.

Annnnd I rambled. Holy wall of text, Batman. Sorry!

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, I like it a lot! I come from a big city, so I worried the transition to a small town would be tough as it has been for me in the past, but the town is amazing and seems a lot bigger than it is because of its energy. The vet school is somewhat small, but that's actually kind of nice because you're never all that far from any one place. It's easy for me to walk to the equine hospital for rounds from my classroom at the way other side. All the students are helpful and friendly, regardless of year. The curriculum has been great, too. Still the same amount of material and still tough, but not nearly as stressful as the old curriculum. I love that tests are spaced out. It makes it easier to focus on my own mental health since I only need to worry about one or two exams at a time usually. We revisit everything as well, which is a huge help. Already this week we've been revisiting topics from the first block of last semester so we can go further in depth and cover diseases, and it's been pretty nice to see what I remember and how everything correlates.

As for anything I don't like: I do wish our cafe stayed open later. They close at around 2pm, which is tough on rare 8am-5pm full lecture days where I just need some caffeinated hot tea for that final stretch of classes and can't access it. The curriculum also has a few bumps, but we're the guinea pig class so that's expected and the faculty are very willing and eager to adapt based on our criticism.

I can't say there's anything particular about the school itself I don't like. It's hard to dislike anything about a place that offers you this kind of opportunity. That's especially true with VMRCVM because they've never made me feel like I need them; they do a great job of making you feel important and worthwhile, like they need you just as much as you need them and so you're not expendable; you're a future colleague. They know this is your dream and they don't hold themselves on a pedestal for delivering it to you, they just do the best they can to work with you. Heck, one of the administrators today, when I admitted I do best on exams by cramming for them, told me to do what works for me, then gave me tips on how to better my study strategies (personalized to include that cramming lol). Virginia wasn't my top pick. I've found other vet school campuses more impressive and I wish I was closer to home or living in a city. But if I went back in time and was presented with the option of going anywhere, I'd likely still come here. I love my classmates, I like the town, and I adore the school and its faculty. I feel like I can succeed here, and in the end you should pick your school based on exactly that.

Annnnd I rambled. Holy wall of text, Batman. Sorry!

No way, this didn't seem like you rambled at all! Super insightful/helpful! Thank you!:)

Last edited:
Every time I try and tell myself to be patient while waiting for interview results, this quote pops into my head...

I know the wait is killing me. I can't even think about anything else. I'm barely functioning at my job right now lol.

I know the wait is killing me. I can't even think about anything else. I'm barely functioning at my job right now lol.
I work in the vet school, which is making it ten times harder! All I do is talk about it and my coworkers are just like... shut up ffs.

Reactions: 2 users
Finally tomorrow is February!!!:clap:

Omg we could be a week away from knowing. I'm freaking out!

Attachments

• IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 59
What do we think, guys? End of this week or beginning of next?!

So close!

What do we think, guys? End of this week or beginning of next?!

So close!

I'm expecting Feb. 14 so that my blood pressure only gets to dangerous levels for one day. If it comes earlier then I'll just be pleasantly (hopefully) surprised!

Reactions: 4 users
My money is on Friday.

I'm expecting Feb. 14 so that my blood pressure only gets to dangerous levels for one day. If it comes earlier then I'll just be pleasantly (hopefully) surprised!

You say that, but what you really mean is that you are obsessively stalking your email every day like the rest of us:p

Hopefully we hear tomorrow or Friday!!!!

Text I just got from my dad:

"ONE MO MOTHAFUGGIN WEEK FAM"

Ugh he kills me.

Reactions: 6 users
I can't take it anymore lol I need to know!!!

A C C E P T E D ! !

accepted oos.

I will almost surely be turning down the offer since I got a big scholarship from penn that will make tuition there about half the cost of everywhere else, so thats at least one person that will be pulled off the alternate list!

out of state accepted!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
accepted oos.

I will almost surely be turning down the offer since I got a big scholarship from penn that will make tuition there about half the cost of everywhere else, so thats at least one person that will be pulled off the alternate list!
How did you get a scholarship? I was accepted at Penn and was wondering how I could potentially get cheaper tuition...???