VA-MD c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am I the only one having anxiety dreams? I'm about to drive myself mad.

Also to the peeps I told it wouldn't snow probably. It was 60 degrees today. They're calling for possible flurries this weekend. Mother Nature is drunk.

I had some anxiety dreams before my Michigan State interview, but now that I'm at least accepted somewhere I've chilled out a little bit. Hopefully the roads aren't terrible the weekend of interviews as I'm flying into charlotte and then having to drive 2.5 hours!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had some anxiety dreams before my Michigan State interview, but now that I'm at least accepted somewhere I've chilled out a little bit. Hopefully the roads aren't terrible the weekend of interviews as I'm flying into charlotte and then having to drive 2.5 hours!
So you'll be driving up 77 which is great but please be careful once you hit the Virginia lines going up the mountain, between fog and rain it gets rough.

I also got accepted at Western but VT is my home. So pressure is still on hardcore.

Wow that must be nice at least having a acceptance somewhere. That would make my stress levels go way down so I could have less anxiety lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is an excellent example of an MMI question and answer. This chick nails it, even if it is a bit long and you may not have quite this much time.

Man, is this really what they're looking for? She seems so stiff and humorless. I'm sure that's due to nerves, but still. The way Dr. Pelzer made it sound, they want you to have fun with it. Maybe I should be looking at this as a good example of answer content but not a good example of delivery?

tips for the dinner wardrobe, what are you gonna wear?

Man, is this really what they're looking for? She seems so stiff and humorless. I'm sure that's due to nerves, but still. The way Dr. Pelzer made it sound, they want you to have fun with it. Maybe I should be looking at this as a good example of answer content but not a good example of delivery?

It depends on the question. Something like that is more serious and a test of how you would handle a delicate situation. I (personally) think she handled the question very professionally. Maybe she could have smiled a little bit, but her answer was very good.

Other questions are much more "fun" and will catch you off guard (I really can't say any more without giving specifics, but you'll see - there will definitly be a few times where you go 'wait, this is an interview question??' and smile). Fun does not necessarily mean cracking jokes and acting familiar in an interview scenario - it is about being relaxed, confident, friendly, etc.

It depends on the question. Something like that is more serious and a test of how you would handle a delicate situation. I (personally) think she handled the question very professionally. Maybe she could have smiled a little bit, but her answer was very good.

Other questions are much more "fun" and will catch you off guard (I really can't say any more without giving specifics, but you'll see - there will definitly be a few times where you go 'wait, this is an interview question??' and smile). Fun does not necessarily mean cracking jokes and acting familiar in an interview scenario - it is about being relaxed, confident, friendly, etc.

Okay, I see what you're saying. I agree that her content was good. Covered different angles and points of view but still landed on an answer. Thanks for giving a little bit of nuance!

I echo this. We're not allowed to discuss previous MMI cycles but there was definitely one station where I broke and laughed out loud in the prep hallway. You can prep for more situational questions by practicing the format but you'll never be able to anticipate the specific prompts. Don't try.

It's stressful leading up to the interview, but once you're moving through it goes nice and easy. Seriously, don't stress about it.

Getting so nervous for next weekend this is my last chance basically and I feel so anxious.

tips for the dinner wardrobe, what are you gonna wear?

Well I only have one suit for business attire so I may go with a cardigan and slacks. I'd really hate to wear the same clothes twice.

I'm in!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS applicant that is interview waitlisted. Does anyone know how many applicants are usually "interview waitlisted?"

I am waitlisted. I would also love to know how many applicants are usually "interview waitlisted", anyone?

What are our chances?

super nervous here, next week are the interviews

E-mail they sent out today makes the interviews sound pretty intense. Starting to get more nervous. They also "moved up" the notification date. Before they said they would notify you of acceptance or not by the end of Feb/early March. E-mail stated it would be by Feb 14th.

Ending up deciding to decline my interview a few hours ago, not sure if it will make a difference but I hope it opens up a spot for someone! Good luck to everyone interviewing!

E-mail they sent out today makes the interviews sound pretty intense. Starting to get more nervous. They also "moved up" the notification date. Before they said they would notify you of acceptance or not by the end of Feb/early March. E-mail stated it would be by Feb 14th.

Don't be nervous. Granted, I haven't done an MMI yet, but interviewing really isn't bad. It can actually be fun if you let it!

Don't be nervous. Granted, I haven't done an MMI yet, but interviewing really isn't bad. It can actually be fun if you let it!

I agree. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, but look at the bright side. She said in the interview info that they just want us to be ourselves. Don't have to prep for that! Plus, we get a free dinner out of this thing :)

I agree. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, but look at the bright side. She said in the interview info that they just want us to be ourselves. Don't have to prep for that! Plus, we get a free dinner out of this thing :)
I told my dad they wanted us to be ourselves and he said "well sucks for you then, you have no chance"

Can someone call social services. Child abuse. Hahahah.

Reactions: 3 users

Free Dinner!*

*with purchase of plane ticket, car rental and hotel room.

Reactions: 6 users
I told my dad they wanted us to be ourselves and he said "well sucks for you then, you have no chance"

Can someone call social services. Child abuse. Hahahah.

Sounds like something my dad would say haha!

Free Dinner!*

*with purchase of plane ticket, car rental and hotel room.

Ha good point! I count myself lucky to be in-state, I'm sure this is an expensive weekend for y'all that are coming out of state.

But, I hear from my friends at Virginia Tech that their food is awesome, so if it's gonna be expensive for you it should at least be good!

Ha good point! I count myself lucky to be in-state, I'm sure this is an expensive weekend for y'all that are coming out of state.

But, I hear from my friends at Virginia Tech that their food is awesome, so if it's gonna be expensive for you it should at least be good!

Can confirm the food here is pretty awesome. They serve lobster and steak at one of the food courts (and it's not too far a walk from the vet school! Not that I can typically afford those though haha).

Reactions: 1 users
I am waitlisted. I would also love to know how many applicants are usually "interview waitlisted", anyone?

What are our chances?

OOS interview waitlist here- just got an email with an interview offer for Saturday. Currently stressing out because that only gives me two days to prepare!!! Luckily I'm back in Blacksburg already. So DONT LOSE HOPE!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
OOS interview waitlist here- just got an email with an interview offer on Saturday. Currently stressing out because that only gives me two days to prepare!!! Luckily I'm back in Blacksburg already. So DONT LOSE HOPE!!!
Yay! That's awesome!

OOS interview waitlist here- just got an email with an interview offer on Saturday. Currently stressing out because that only gives me two days to prepare!!! Luckily I'm back in Blacksburg already. So DONT LOSE HOPE!!!

Awesome!! Congrats!

Last day to be hopeful is tomorrow. We will see!

So are other males who are going to the dinner tonight wearing a suit? I know it's Business Attire, just want to make sure I'm not over dressing!

I'll be wearing a suit so there will be at least two of us!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So are other males who are going to the dinner tonight wearing a suit? I know it's Business Attire, just want to make sure I'm not over dressing!

Going to tomorrow's dinner, but I will definitely be wearing a suit.

Off running around trying to get my oil changed and all that crap before making the trek to VA (because I have to do everything last minute). See those of you who will be at the dinner tomorrow night:)

Sorry simby I'm stuck due to delay so I'll be missing tonight. Suit is fine if you don't want to you can survive without a tie or jacket

For people bringing a guest with them to the interview (or well I guess the tour afterwards), what are they wearing? My wife is starting to go crazy and thinks she's going to be under dressed no matter what.

Also, for those going to the dinners, if you could pass along any good information given out that would be awesome.

Good luck to those interviewing today, and have fun dealing with the basketball game traffic lol

MMI was a breeze. Nothing too bad so everyone who has yet to interview shouldn't worry too much!

Reactions: 2 users