Uworld q on asplenia and encapsulated organisms mechanism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankees527

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So just did the uworld q (879481) that asked about an asplenic patient who gets sepsis with S. pneumo. It then asks "impairment of which of the mechanisms most likely contributed to the severity of this patients infection?

The answer was systemic bacterial clearance. I get that the spleen does this surveillance.

However, another answer choice was complement production. Doesnt the spleen do both? I.e. right from FA, it states that asplenia causes decreased IgM and therefore decreased opsonization, etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

So just did the uworld q (879481) that asked about an asplenic patient who gets sepsis with S. pneumo. It then asks "impairment of which of the mechanisms most likely contributed to the severity of this patients infection?

The answer was systemic bacterial clearance. I get that the spleen does this surveillance.

However, another answer choice was complement production. Doesnt the spleen do both? I.e. right from FA, it states that asplenia causes decreased IgM and therefore decreased opsonization, etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Complement proteins are produced in the liver, not spleen. However the spleen play a role in clearing bacteria that have been targeted by complement proteins. IgM is produced in the spleen and also acts as an opsonin. Additionally IgM can activate the classic complement pathway; however, the point of this question is that complement proteins are produced in the liver. While asplenia will decrease complement activation, complement production will not be affected.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Complement proteins are produced in the liver, not spleen. However the spleen play a role in clearing bacteria that have been targeted by complement proteins. IgM is produced in the spleen and also acts as an opsonin. Additionally IgM can activate the classic complement pathway; however, the point of this question is that complement proteins are produced in the liver. While asplenia will decrease complement activation, complement production will not be affected.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks. For some reason I was thinking IgM is a compenent of complement. Thanks for reminding me it activates it.

Reactions: 1 user