USMLE UWORLD Percent scores by Subject and Step 1 scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XxSynapsexX

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry if this was already posted but I couldn't it anywhere.

SO I thought I would start the thread.

I was wondering for people who did UWORLD BY SUBJECT what were your Qbank percents and actual step scores.

I see all these correlations with UWORLD and STEP scores but I feel like doing it in random and subject is completely different when trying to correlate them.

Members don't see this ad.

I too would like to know this, but haven't found anything. I'm currently sitting at ~25% done with 78.5% correct. Still have about 40%of FA (will switch to random when I'm done with it). No NBMEs yet, and my exam is in 2 months.

Reactions: 1 user
Nice, I have about a 79% on UWORLD doing it by subject. scored a 243 on my school CBSE last week and still have about 5 weeks until my test

That's great! You should easily reach 255+ I think. I'm taking my first NBME in maybe 2 weeks, I'd be ecstatic to score in that range.

Since you're already at this level, I think switching to random will benefit you though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I too would like to know this, but haven't found anything. I'm currently sitting at ~25% done with 78.5% correct. Still have about 40%of FA (will switch to random when I'm done with it). No NBMEs yet, and my exam is in 2 months.

FA wont drive your score upwards. If anything you might hit 229 since FA is what most other MD students use for the exam. If you do what everybody else does, you get what everybody else gets...an average score. So drop FA.

You should have been using Uworld since 2nd year started. Assume you did purchase it then, about a year ago, here is what you should have been doing.

Your first pass of all of Uworld, regardless if approached by section or subsection, is about learning. If I recall correctly UWorld even states as such on either their FAQ webpage or their home screen on their app. Dont take UWorld on first pass to diagnose yourself. The questions can be very difficult and many questions are nitty gritty detail you probably didnt study during your courses. Dont sweat your scores for your first pass of the ~ 2500 questions. For those questions you get incorrectly, either mark them or retake that same exact exam for only the incorrect questions. This is where the hard work begins. For each missed question for each exam, either marked or by reviewing the missed questions only, take hand written notes on the concepts you missed as well as notes on why the other answer choices were offered. THIS IS WHERE YOU DRIVE UP YOUR SCORE.

After doing all of UWorld, you should possess a very high stack of pages of notes on missed concepts. Review all of your notes in detail. For those concepts that require memorization (bacteria, viruses, biochemistry, pharmaco, immunology CDs, ILs, cytokines, etc) rewrite those concepts over and over again by hand under you can draw them on paper without looking at the textbooks. It took me a lot of time to write by memory the different unique characteristics of the bugs (e.g. PYR, bile, oxidase, catalase, hemolysis, ds DNA, ss RNA, hyphae, etc). Write them over and over and over again. Repetition is a potent teacher.

Take a second pass of all of ~2500 Uworld questions either by subject or subsection, 40 questions at a time. Do exams under tutor timed conditions. Your scores should be higher. After each exam, review missed questions and create new handwritten notes. Do all of UWorld this way and by the end of your second pass you should feel more confident about the material and about yourself.

By now you way ahead of the other MD students since no one does this except those who score 250+

Reset UWorld since you have had it for 1 year by now.

Buy the 2 diagnostic UWorld exams 30 days prior to your actual exam. At day 30 out from your actual exam, do the first diagnostic under authentic timed conditions like an actual 8 hour exam with breaks. Check your score. Evaluate your strengths and weaknesses.

Go back to your reset Uworld qbank. Do all of ~ 2500 questions of UWorld a third pass under tutor timed or timed conditions. I started under timed but switched to tutor tijed to see my errors immediately. Mark the ones you missed. You should be doing UWorld 12 hours a day, 30 days straight, the month prior to your exam. You should be flying through them with having ample time for each exam. Review your missed questions. Your third pass exam scores should be much higher than your first pass and second pass.

Do your second diagnostic exam. That score should be higher than your first diagnostic exam. Do NBME if you'd like. I did three and found them worthless other than making NBME money.

Now you are ready to take your Step 1 exam.

My scores: first pass: 30s/40s, second pass 60s/70s, third pass 80s/90s

Vaya con Dios! :banana:

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your thoughtful reply, but while I'm sure it applies to a lot of people, I don't think it's the best for me specifically.

I'm actually an FMG, and when I first started, I lacked pretty much all the basic knowledge needed to take the USMLE. So I built up my knowledge through various review books and videos, but the problem is that it took a lot of time, so the knowledge was very spaced out. I already know most of what's in FA, but I forgot a lot of it. I feel like I need to cram it in a short time period, in order for me to make connections as well.

I'm hoping to be done with FA in 12 days, after which I will switch to timed random on UW and do it all day, everyday. And yes, I'm planning on doing it a minimum of 2 full times, along with both UWSAs and as many NBMEs as I can take.

FA wont drive your score upwards. If anything you might hit 229 since FA is what most other MD students use for the exam. If you do what everybody else does, you get what everybody else gets...an average score. So drop FA.

You should have been using Uworld since 2nd year started. Assume you did purchase it then, about a year ago, here is what you should have been doing.

Your first pass of all of Uworld, regardless if approached by section or subsection, is about learning. If I recall correctly UWorld even states as such on either their FAQ webpage or their home screen on their app. Dont take UWorld on first pass to diagnose yourself. The questions can be very difficult and many questions are nitty gritty detail you probably didnt study during your courses. Dont sweat your scores for your first pass of the ~ 2500 questions. For those questions you get incorrectly, either mark them or retake that same exact exam for only the incorrect questions. This is where the hard work begins. For each missed question for each exam, either marked or by reviewing the missed questions only, take hand written notes on the concepts you missed as well as notes on why the other answer choices were offered. THIS IS WHERE YOU DRIVE UP YOUR SCORE.

After doing all of UWorld, you should possess a very high stack of pages of notes on missed concepts. Review all of your notes in detail. For those concepts that require memorization (bacteria, viruses, biochemistry, pharmaco, immunology CDs, ILs, cytokines, etc) rewrite those concepts over and over again by hand under you can draw them on paper without looking at the textbooks. It took me a lot of time to write by memory the different unique characteristics of the bugs (e.g. PYR, bile, oxidase, catalase, hemolysis, ds DNA, ss RNA, hyphae, etc). Write them over and over and over again. Repetition is a potent teacher.

Take a second pass of all of ~2500 Uworld questions either by subject or subsection, 40 questions at a time. Do exams under tutor timed conditions. Your scores should be higher. After each exam, review missed questions and create new handwritten notes. Do all of UWorld this way and by the end of your second pass you should feel more confident about the material and about yourself.

By now you way ahead of the other MD students since no one does this except those who score 250+

Buy the 2 diagnostic UWorld exams 30 days prior to your actual exam. At day 30 out from your actual exam, do the first diagnostic under authentic timed conditions like an actual 8 hour exam with breaks. Check your score. Evaluate your strengths and weaknesses.

Go back to your reset Uworld qbank. Do all of ~ 2500 questions of UWorld a third pass under tutor timed or timed conditions. I started under timed but switched to tutor tijed to see my errors immediately. Mark the ones you missed. You should be doing UWorld 12 hours a day, 30 days straight, the month prior to your exam. You should be flying through them with having ample time for each exam. Review your missed questions. Your third pass exam scores should be much higher than your first pass and second pass.

Do your second diagnostic exam. That score should be higher than your first diagnostic exam. Do NBME if you'd like. I did three and found them worthless other than making NBME money.

What did you got on your STEP 1 exam?

I personally think saving UWORLD for the 2-3 months before the exam would be ideal. I did not start UWORLD until 3 weeks ago and I am scoring 70-80% on a first pass and I think its because I took the time to learn the material well before starting questions and did a preliminary qbank.

Doing UWORLD and scoring that low, yes you learn a lot but I feel like content review before doing questions would make the UWORLD learning process easier and more efficient.

I already know most of what's in FA, but I forgot a lot of it
you are quite welcome.

I stopped at the pharmacy this week and asked a pharmacist a question about anti-cholinergics and the elderly (anti-histamines: Benadryl vs Claritin / Zyrtec). She was supreme. She told me a funny story about calling a physician at one of the hospital units involving an elderly patient. She mentioned the Beer's Criteria to the physician and the doctor replied "I prefer Corona". I busted out laughing as did the pharmacist.
What a stress release that was!

Like we should all be walking around spouting off all of the drugs on the Beers Criteria - heck no. Forgetting stuff is expected. Don't beat yourself up.

Here is the latest Beers Criteria in case you want to review for the exam. Count on questions on Step 1 re: elderly and which drugs not to prescribe to them.

I hope you crush the exam.

you are quite welcome.

I stopped at the pharmacy this week and asked a pharmacist a question about anti-cholinergics and the elderly (anti-histamines: Benadryl vs Claritin / Zyrtec). She was supreme. She told me a funny story about calling a physician at one of the hospital units involving an elderly patient. She mentioned the Beer's Criteria to the physician and the doctor replied "I prefer Corona". I busted out laughing as did the pharmacist.
What a stress release that was!

Like we should all be walking around spouting off all of the drugs on the Beers Criteria - heck no. Forgetting stuff is expected. Don't beat yourself up.

Here is the latest Beers Criteria in case you want to review for the exam. Count on questions on Step 1 re: elderly and which drugs not to prescribe to them.

I hope you crush the exam.
Completely agree. Truth be told you will forget most of what you learn the first two years when you are practicing. I used to be so on edge constantly forgetting what I learned. Then one of our professors taught us a pretty important lesson about learning. Whats important is that you spend the time mastering these concepts and material so that even if you forget, one quick look at the text book and you remember it all. And as you keep doing this through your clinical years and as a doctor, it will all be second nature.

Interested in this method, what did you get on the exam?

I can't tell if this guy is joking. Most ppl say to save u world until dedicated. So either this guy is actually trying to help or he's hardcore gunning

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

I can't tell if this guy is joking. Most ppl say to save u world until dedicated. So either this guy is actually trying to help or he's hardcore gunning

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile
No theres two schools of thought on UWORLD, some do their first pass during M2 and second during dedicated, others do 2 times during dedicated

Then theres people like me, who keep procrastinating on UWORLD blocks and keep calculating how many you would need to do a day to finish it twice until you realize even if there were 36 hrs in the day you wouldn't be able to finish it even once..*nervous laughter*

Reactions: 6 users
No theres two schools of thought on UWORLD, some do their first pass during M2 and second during dedicated, others do 2 times during dedicated

Then theres people like me, who keep procrastinating on UWORLD blocks and keep calculating how many you would need to do a day to finish it twice until you realize even if there were 36 hrs in the day you wouldn't be able to finish it even once..*nervous laughter*
So effing relatable :(

This is exactly me with Rx....LOL

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I think all cred is lost with that statement. People who score high use FA too. Everyone including people who score average also use UW which you go on to advise so......

...you would need to do a day to finish it twice until you realize even if there were 36 hrs in the day you wouldn't be able to finish it even once..*nervous laughter*

Here's a thought: Do UWorld under tutor timed mode, for whatever unused or missed/marked questions you have remaining, do 40 questions per test, and answer the questions as best you can within the time frame given. Give yourself 45 secs max for each question, answer, and move on. In this way you are building endurance and speed. It's one thing to take an NBME exam here and there. It's another to do 8 hours worth. Practice UWorld in 8 hour stretches with breaks.

So much of Step 1 is about breaking you down. So prepare accordingly.

You'd be surprised how good you might be at recognizing key terms and answering accordingly, e.g. diseased terminal ileum, transmural inflammation: Crohn disease; inflammation of mucosa and submucosa: ulcerative colitis; porcelain gallbladder: adenoma; etc

So much of Step 1 questions are laden with chaff. Practice as I stated already and you will teach yourself how to focus on key words/questions, and blow off the distractors.

I like how cellsaver has ignored every question about their score and instead bragged about scoring in the 80's on a third pass and then told us a lovely story about going to the pharmacy.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm amongst the people who think its impossible to truly master FA. If your NBMEs are in the 230s and you think you've mastered FA and have nothing more to gain from reading it, you're simply bad at recognizing your weak areas. If you read FA with scrutiny, and if you take the time to actively commit it to memory stuff that needs to be on your fingertips (as opposed to just reading it), it will 100% boost your scores, esp if you're in the 230 range.