UW vs Real Test??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did the majority of UW.. and took notes on the portions that I did.. I going back over my notes and they are super detailed.

How does the real test compare to the level of detail on UW? I have my test in 1.5 weeks and I m looking over my notes and worried about the level of detail :(

Members don't see this ad.

Also I did UW in tutor mode.. i scored average doing it this way.. does that make my score look higher han it really is? Do most people do it tutor mode?

I felt like the actual exam was overall harder. 50 % straight forward either you know it or you don't and 50 % very vague. The best prep is uworld though.

Reactions: 1 user
I felt like actual exam was equivalent to Uworld, though the questions were slightly shorter and with more "ideal" patient disease presentations (for the most part)

Agree with above. 50% either you knew it or you didn't (like, oh shoot, which of the peds spotty diseases is the Koplick spots again?) vs 50% I have no idea, let's just guess and move on.

"Drug ad" questions were way easier tho- all the ads were only 1 page (vs 2 in Uworld) and I thought very straightforward.

Biostats was prevalent, but not overwhelming (as some folks have said). I also had very few "tricky" biostats questions- most were straightforward. I think a person would get the majority with backwards/forwards knowledge of definition and use of sensitivity/specificity/PPV/NPV.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys.. I was going to quickly go over biostats and basically sacrifice those points.. but maybe I should spend a little time on it after all.. my test is in 2.5 days. Basically I have 1.5 study days left

If I were you to d relax the last day. First day is tough believe me. You will think you failed. Be extra ready for biostats, epi and ethics. Those are subjects you should do good on if you actually prepared hard for them. Many questions on each block for biostats. Step 1 material will also show. Just relax last day and do your best on day 1. Go into day 2 without thinking about day 1. Some ppl will think they've failed day 1 and thought about not going in for day 2. You just got to forget day 1 and go on to day 2 which is the easier day for most ppl.

I ran out of time and didn't do the ethics and would questions on UW... should I? There are about 80 of them.

Did they ever ask relatively straight forward biostat questions.. like calculate sensitivity or atributable risk?

Ethics on the test were very straightforward and similar to ethics for Step 1 and 2. The biggest learning point I think was helpful from Uworld regarding ethics was when a patient is medically emancipated (pregnant, has a child, army, etc.) I would know that list.

Also be sure you go to the test website and look at the Step 3 manual for what is tested day 1 vs day 2.
Of note, day 1 has biostats and mostly how to diagnose stuff. Day 2 has NO biostats, mostly how to treat stuff, and CCS (gross generalizations, of course)

I had so much ethics on my test. Where there ethics questions on day2?

I heard there is no biostats on day2?

Did you guys feel like there was a lot of ethics type of questions? I feel like there were more than I expected... 80% were straight forward but 20ish% were actually kinda tricky situations were I had it down to two reasonable answers

I m trying to do the ccs cases on UW (my test is in 3 days).. I m really confused about how to use the software. Seems so vague and undirected to me.. any tips? Any videos or explanations on how to use the software?

The actual diagnosis of the disease doesn't seem so difficult more of the flow of the software??

I m trying to do the ccs cases on UW (my test is in 3 days).. I m really confused about how to use the software. Seems so vague and undirected to me.. any tips? Any videos or explanations on how to use the software?

The actual diagnosis of the disease doesn't seem so difficult more of the flow of the software??
Just keep practicing. And diagnosis is NOT graded!!!!! It even tells you this in the exam instructions on the real deal.

Did the CCS cases tend to be bread and butter/common diseases? Or were there some rare, less frequent diseases (genetic diseases, rare infections..etc)?

Just finished the ccs portion.

Was wondering if you don't get to the final diagnosis portion of the ccs do you loose points? I would get to the two minute mark and enter the final orders... in the beginning I didn't even realize that at the end of the two mins you have to hit exit and then it asks for the diagnosis..and sometimes I would run out of time entering those two min orders..

Do the two min orders count if you don't hit exit case and then enter a final diagnosis?

Just finished the ccs portion.

Was wondering if you don't get to the final diagnosis portion of the ccs do you loose points? I would get to the two minute mark and enter the final orders... in the beginning I didn't even realize that at the end of the two mins you have to hit exit and then it asks for the diagnosis..and sometimes I would run out of time entering those two min orders..

Do the two min orders count if you don't hit exit case and then enter a final diagnosis?

No. Final diagnosis doesn't count for scoring.

But without hitting the exit button do you get credit for the orders placed during the 2 min period.