UW c/o 2021 - ON WISCONSIN!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We should be getting letters today or tomorrow or maybe Wednesday because of weather, if an in stater got it Saturday! Good luck everyone
Isn't today a holiday though? Im not arguing about getting a letter potentially today - just dont want to stalk a mailman that will never come :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! For what it's worth, I received an email from Jenna Henshue that decision letters are in the mail. Don't freak out if you didn't get it!!! I was rejected from the DVM/PHD program so that's why I got an email. It said that letters have been sent. I also work at the school since it's my undergrad and news has been circulating that we will be hearing this week. Hope this relieves some stress about when letters are coming :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey does anybody know what size the envelopes are? My PO box is teeny and the post office has a tendency to make larger envelopes "packages" that I have to pick up at the window, which takes longer, or to shove them into the box and crush important papers. So I'm just trying to figure out what to expect.

Hey does anybody know what size the envelopes are? My PO box is teeny and the post office has a tendency to make larger envelopes "packages" that I have to pick up at the window, which takes longer, or to shove them into the box and crush important papers. So I'm just trying to figure out what to expect.
I think someone said the envelopes are large if you are accepted, and small if you are waitlisted or rejected.

I got the snail mail about 25 minutes ago. Wait list OOS number 68 on the wait list. "1134 nonresident applicants for the 30 spaces in the class"

It also says "In recent years, a range from 25-150 nonresident alternates were offered admission to fill the spaces in the class" so this is just gonna be a lot more high stakes waiting haha.

Wisconsin has been my top choice for 3 years now so it's really disappointing for me even though I have fallen in love with some other schools as well. I was honestly expecting wait list but hoping for a higher up spot on it. Hoping this is a lucky year and it reaches my spot.

And yes, my envelope was small. So that was depressing right off the bat.

Edit: it also included a paper talking about the tuition increases over 4 year period and how the last two years increase was approved in December. This makes the OOS tuition go from 29,770 in 2015-2016 to 47,770 in 2018-2019. So that is kinda yucky.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I got the snail mail about 25 minutes ago. Wait list OOS number 68 on the wait list. "1134 nonresident applicants for the 30 spaces in the class"

It also says "In recent years, a range from 25-150 nonresident alternates were offered admission to fill the spaces in the class" so this is just gonna be a lot more high stakes waiting haha.

Wisconsin has been my top choice for 3 years now so it's really disappointing for me even though I have fallen in love with some other schools as well. I was honestly expecting wait list but opening for a higher up spot on it. Hoping this is a lucky year and it reaches my spot.

Good luck everyone!

Waitlisted OOS. I am #71, so right there with ya!

Reactions: 1 user
That's not bad! They have gone through so many spots in previous years. Where are you located if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am from Illinois! About an hour south of Chicago.

Wisconsin has been my top choice for 3 years now so it's really disappointing for me even though I have fallen in love with some other schools as well. I was honestly expecting wait list but hoping for a higher up spot on it. Hoping this is a lucky year and it reaches my spot.

Edit: it also included a paper talking about the tuition increases over 4 year period and how the last two years increase was approved in December. This makes the OOS tuition go from 29,770 in 2015-2016 to 47,770 in 2018-2019. So that is kinda yucky.

Good luck everyone!

Congratulations!
They wend down to #150 on the wait list last year so I'd say you still have a decent chance!

Ahhh now I'm excited to check my mail once I get out of class :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from Beecher. It is a super small town in the middle of nowhere haha.
Yeah, I know Beecher! Actually worked for a large animal vet really close to there. I'm from Wilmington, also small town in the middle of nowhere lol

Yeah, I know Beecher! Actually worked for a large animal vet really close to there. I'm from Wilmington, also small town in the middle of nowhere lol
Nice! What vet was it, if you don't mind me asking? Or you can PM me haha

Good luck everyone!

I think chances are you will get off the waitlist! Most people who have been accepted on this thread are leaning towards other schools. But, we need to find out if they over accepted this year to really understand our chances. It just sucks that it is more waiting (my mail hasn't come yet, ugh, but I'm expecting a waitlist #).

So one of the reasons I applied was the cheaper OOS tuition! I heard recently it was going up, but wow, that is a huge increase. Did the letter say how much it will go up in the next couple of years?

I think chances are you will get off the waitlist! Most people who have been accepted on this thread are leaning towards other schools. But, we need to find out if they over accepted this year to really understand our chances. It just sucks that it is more waiting (my mail hasn't come yet, ugh, but I'm expecting a waitlist #).

So one of the reasons I applied was the cheaper OOS tuition! I heard recently it was going up, but wow, that is a huge increase. Did the letter say how much it will go up in the next couple of years?

It is a 5000 dollar increase every year for four years starting in 2015-2016. They said in the letter "The intention, over a four -year period, is for the UW school of veterinary medicine DVM tuition to be near the mean tuition of our peer institutions." So it could easily go up significantly more even after 2019... Yikes

Got my OOS acceptance, but I will be attending OSU instead so that will open up a spot to other OOS people! Best of luck :)

Rejected OOS :/ Oh well, never expected much if anything from Wisconsin

Rejection OOS as well... bummer. Congrats to everyone who was accepted and good luck to everyone who is waitlisted!

I am waitlisted as well, number 62 but will be giving up my spot for either Colorado or Ohio so you guys will move up a spot!

Will my mailman ever come?!?

Will my mailman ever come?!?
I'm sure he will be there soon, just a little longer! I was surprised mine actually came today. I'm in Maine so things tend to take longer to get here than most other places

Just got the letter in Maryland. I'm #6 on the waitlist, but I will be giving up my spot to go to UC Davis!

Accepted OOS. No call

Will not be accepting to those who are on the waitlist.

Congratulations!! I remember seeing you on another thread today- did you get your first two acceptances in the same day?!
Thank you! You are correct - a bit of an emotional day....hot mess calls for burgers :)

Waitlisted #216 - I appreciate the very nice way to say rejection!
I didn't know their wait list could go so far though :p

Thank you! You are correct - a bit of an emotional day....hot mess calls for burgers :)

That's amazing! :banana:

It is a 5000 dollar increase every year for four years starting in 2015-2016. They said in the letter "The intention, over a four -year period, is for the UW school of veterinary medicine DVM tuition to be near the mean tuition of our peer institutions." So it could easily go up significantly more even after 2019... Yikes

Just opened my letter. For OOS it's a $5,000 increase for next year, and then a $6,500 increase for the two years after that. That is INSANE! And while there's also some stuff in there about improving the curriculum, that "the intention" is for the tuition "to be near the mean tuition of our peer institutions" rubbed me the wrong way. That's not a good reason to raise tuition. Note: I believe the increase is from UW as a whole and I don't blame the vet school.

Anyway, it looks like scholarship information won't be available until after the decision deadline, so I will be mailing the form to decline my offer tomorrow. This was the last school I was waiting to hear from and although I will be declining my offer, it was a very nice way to end the application season. When I first started thinking about becoming a vet, UW was my dream school and I can't believe I got in. I think everyone on the waitlist has an excellent chance (especially given the tuition increase!) and I wish good luck to everyone! :luck::luck::luck:

Rejected, OOS (CA). Oh well, I wouldn't have been able to go to UW anyways!
My housemate also applied and she has an envelope the same size as mine (small), but thicker so I'm anxious for her to come back and open it!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Rejected OOS! I wasn't planning on attending UW (especially with that tuition hike, yikes) but wow did not realize how competitive of a school it would be! Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to anyone on the waitlist! :)

Number 21 on the alternate list! Does anyone know if alternates are invited to accepted students day in March? I would probably go considering they say they typically take 25-150 people off the list so my chances are fairly good, but I don't think my letter said anything about it (I made my dad open it and tell me over the phone as it was sent to my permanent address :D).

I am waitlisted as well, number 62 but will be giving up my spot for either Colorado or Ohio so you guys will move up a spot!
Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?
I am originally from Pennsylvania but go to school in Maine. I actually didn't apply to UPenn though even though it is my state school (I only mention because people usually ask/assume that I would)

Hi everyone! Congrats on all those acceptances! I am a current 3rd year, so if you have any questions, feel free to message me. :)
Those that have been accepted, you will probably be going through a housing scramble. My sister is moving to Madison, so I am moving out of my current 2 bedroom apartment to live with her. My roommate is looking for another roommate to take my place. It is a good sized 2 bedroom just a mile down the bike path from the vet school. A great location if you want to be close! My roommate was a vet student too, but life had other plans for her in her 3rd year, so she knows all about being a vet student and can help you out. She also has 2 cats- great for practicing those physical exams! My lease ends in August, but if you wanted to sublease, you could move in as early as June. Message me if you are interested, and maybe you can come for a tour during open house.

When is it typical for the school to start pulling students off of the waitlist? Is it usually done by means of a phone call?

No letter in my mail yesterday or today :shrug: I just want to know already!

Accepted and I've submitted my intent to attend! :soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
When is it typical for the school to start pulling students off of the waitlist? Is it usually done by means of a phone call?
My partner received a call and email when she got off the waitlist

Does anyone know what the dress code is for the March 3rd visit for accepted applicants?

Alternate OOS #45, will be removing myself though because I'll be attending Cornell. :)

Has anyone been able to schedule a visit/tour on a day other than the open house? How?

Does anyone know what the dress code is for the March 3rd visit for accepted applicants?
There is not really a dress code. I've seen people come in jeans and a sweatshirt and some wear suits like for an interview. In the past, the majority of students have worn business casual.