UW c/o 2021 - ON WISCONSIN!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm on the same boat. I haven't done much other than continue employment and volunteering. Both of which are already on my VMCAS application. I don't know whether to write about that or not...hmmm....:thinking::thinking:

I'm also in the same boat but I'm updating my hours

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm on the same boat. I haven't done much other than continue employment and volunteering. Both of which are already on my VMCAS application. I don't know whether to write about that or not...hmmm....:thinking::thinking:
I think they said to update hours for things on VMCAS. (I only glanced at that section yesterday since I was on my phone and couldn't complete it then)

My first choice is Western and second choice was midwestern! I interviewed at western too, so I'm waiting to hear back from them!! :)

Congrats, that's really exciting! Wisconsin used to be close to the top of my list because of their OOS tuition, but it keeps going up and up and up (and looks like it'll only get worse) so it's no longer a top choice. But I still like the school, and I'll see where else I get in.

My roommate left that question completely blank last year and still was accepted OOS. So I don't think they dock you if you haven't done much since.

Do you know anything about what they're looking for in the essays (or what you and other students have done before?) For instance, for the diversity essay, do they want a narrative, personal statement type of answer, or something more direct and succinct?

Does anyone know how to quantify "underrepresented ethnic background"? I'm curious if being jewish applies here. usually underrepresented means that the population % in whatever you are looking at is less than the % of people in that group in the United States. Jewish population in the US is about 2%, not sure if veterinarian jewish population is any higher or lower than that though.

Also not sure if they are just looking for specific race/ethnicities like the ones asked on the next ethnicity section.

Not sure, but I doubt it. Based on my experiences, if anything, Jews are overrepresented in veterinary medicine. I found this online from the AAVMC:

Underrepresented in Veterinary Medicine (URVM) is defined as populations of individuals whose advancement in the veterinary medical profession has historically been disproportionately impacted by six specific aspects of diversity (gender, race, ethnicity, geographic, socioeconomic, and educational disadvantage) due to legal, cultural, or social climate impediments.​

I don't think being Jewish would fit. I do have family members who were impacted by university quotas way back when, but overall, Jews are not underrepresented in higher education. You could definitely talk about it in the diversity section, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
ot sure, but I doubt it. Based on my experiences, if anything, Jews are overrepresented in veterinary medicine. I found this online from the AAVMC:

Underrepresented in Veterinary Medicine (URVM) is defined as populations of individuals whose advancement in the veterinary medical profession has historically been disproportionately impacted by six specific aspects of diversity (gender, race, ethnicity, geographic, socioeconomic, and educational disadvantage) due to legal, cultural, or social climate impediments.
I don't think being Jewish would fit. I do have family members who were impacted by university quotas way back when, but overall, Jews are not underrepresented in higher education. You could definitely talk about it in the diversity section, though.

Thanks, yeah I ended up calling them and asked and they said that I could include it if I felt like it was warranted. I might just leave it off though and include something about it in the "contributions to breadth/diversity" essay.

Do you know anything about what they're looking for in the essays (or what you and other students have done before?) For instance, for the diversity essay, do they want a narrative, personal statement type of answer, or something more direct and succinct?

From what I've heard from friends that have been accepted, it's pretty informal. More informative of things you want to add since you submitted the VMCAS.

For the diversity section I made it more of a personal statement type answer though

Does Wisconsin look heavily on the GRE? Unfortunately that's the worst part of my app.

Does Wisconsin look heavily on the GRE? Unfortunately that's the worst part of my app.

When I talked to someone from admissions, they said that they have a very wholistic review process (not formulaic), so I don't think any components have a particular weight, but I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If I haven't done any obvious "Other Preparatory Experiences" since VMCAS, should I leave it blank? Most of my time has been spent working in a vet/animal related field. Other than that I've been riding and racing my bike, but I'm not sure that qualifies! :p

Last edited:
If I haven't done any obvious "Other Preparatory Experiences" since VMCAS, should I leave it blank? Most of my time has been spent working in a vet/animal related field. Other than that I've been riding and racing my bike, but I'm not sure that qualifies!
For that section I included a couple of extension and youth teaching events I did this semester and an academic award nomination that I received after VMCAS was closed. I would include "other preparatory experiences" if you were recognized with an award or if you think the experience contributes to your professional development. That's how I read the prompt.

If I haven't done any obvious "Other Preparatory Experiences" since VMCAS, should I leave it blank? Most of my time has been spent working in a vet/animal related field. Other than that I've been riding and racing my bike, but I'm not sure that qualifies!
I've heard of many people who leave those blank and they said they still got in, so it's nothing to be worried about :)

Hey guys! I have a question about the optional "additional difficulties." I have an alcoholic father who got very sick last year and then went to rehab, then relapsed. It was very hard for me, but I still maintained good grades. Should I include this? I don't want to be rude; I know some people go through much worse. I know it is a weird question to ask here, but I am not sure what to do. Thanks!

Hey guys! I have a question about the optional "additional difficulties." I have an alcoholic father who got very sick last year and then went to rehab, then relapsed. It was very hard for me, but I still maintained good grades. Should I include this? I don't want to be rude; I know some people go through much worse. I know it is a weird question to ask here, but I am not sure what to do. Thanks!
I think that you should, I think schools appreciate when student's share their stories and hardships, but more importantly how the student overcame/dealt with it, and how that experience and what you learned can be applied as a student in veterinary school?

Members don't see this ad :)
And it's ok to leave that section blank? I don't have anything

And it's ok to leave that section blank? I don't have anything

I have spoken with MANY students who said they left that blank (as well as additional experiences blank) and they got in! I would definitely leave it blank over trying to force something that isn't there :).

Does anyone know if UW recalculates your science/last 45/cGPA when you send in your fall transcript? Kind of hope so since I got all As and will def bump up my last 45 at the very least.

Also the email from them said we would hear by the end of march. Is it really going to be that long?! Last year it seems like they let people know around mid feb.

Ok so they need our fall transcript??? I'm not too late am I?? I didn't see that when I submitted my supplements

I have realized an address may be helpful

School of Veterinary Medicine
University of Wisconsin-Madison
2015 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706

Ok awesome! I will do that today! Thanks guys

Ok awesome! I will do that today! Thanks guys

No problem! It was in an email sent out before the supplemental so I almost missed it too. I searched the word transcript in my inbox to pull out all the emails saying I needed to send them (some said much earlier after cycle close they did or didn't want them)

Does anyone know if UW recalculates your science/last 45/cGPA when you send in your fall transcript? Kind of hope so since I got all As and will def bump up my last 45 at the very least.

Also the email from them said we would hear by the end of march. Is it really going to be that long?! Last year it seems like they let people know around mid feb.
No they do not recalculate GPAs, I asked them the same question :(

Yeah I was looking at past years.. they seem to hear around mid February.

Reactions: 1 users
Must be postmarked by Jan 17! Request it now! There's still plenty of time!!
Do you know if they want official or unofficial transcripts? I'm still waiting on an incorrect grade to be changed on my transcript and I can send the unofficial one much faster.

Do you know if they want official or unofficial transcripts? I'm still waiting on an incorrect grade to be changed on my transcript and I can send the unofficial one much faster.
I'd think probably official, but call them tomorrow morning and find out, since they want them postmarked by tuesday.

I'd think probably official, but call them tomorrow morning and find out, since they want them postmarked by tuesday.
Just got an email that my grade was fixed, yay! I've already sent an official one to be safe.

Can anyone offer some perspective on what it's like to live in Madison? I'm a little skeptical about living in the midwest but Madison itself seems cool. Can you find enough to do? How brutal is the weather? What kinds of people live there? Anything else we should know when making decisions?

Can anyone offer some perspective on what it's like to live in Madison? I'm a little skeptical about living in the midwest but Madison itself seems cool. Can you find enough to do? How brutal is the weather? What kinds of people live there? Anything else we should know when making decisions?
My friend recently began working in Madison. From what he told me, it gets extremely cold (below 20 is normal in the winter months) for most of the year, and there is basically zero diversity. However, the city itself is pretty modern and like any major city, there is always something to do!

I don't live there. But I used to visit quite often during the summers. I remember it being really humid--lots of mosquitos. But I loved it anyways :).

My friend recently began working in Madison. From what he told me, it gets extremely cold (below 20 is normal in the winter months) for most of the year, and there is basically zero diversity. However, the city itself is pretty modern and like any major city, there is always something to do!

I don't live in Madison - I'm across the WI/MN border in the Twin Cities, but can say that while it does get really cold out in this area, it's not sustained -20 (etc.) for the entire winter. It's cold - but it's not the Midwest Pole for 6 months or anything.

I moved to Madison for vet school after growing up in the Bay Area and doing undergrad in San Diego. I loved Madison. Ethnic foods are a little lacking compared to the west coast, but there's no shortage of tasty things (and beer). I found plenty of outdoor spaces to explore, went on regular bike rides around Lake Monona with my friends, went to the farmers market a couple times a month... It's the midwest, but it's not the boonies, and since it's the capitol, it's more than just a college town, too.

Reactions: 3 users
I moved to Madison for vet school after growing up in the Bay Area and doing undergrad in San Diego. I loved Madison. Ethnic foods are a little lacking compared to the west coast, but there's no shortage of tasty things (and beer). I found plenty of outdoor spaces to explore, went on regular bike rides around Lake Monona with my friends, went to the farmers market a couple times a month... It's the midwest, but it's not the boonies, and since it's the capitol, it's more than just a college town, too.
I can confirm all of this- I was born in Madison, and have gone back and visited a few times. It's really beautiful- I love the lakes, I love the campus (Really wish we had something like the union terrace at georiga, I love it). The farmer's market is the best I've ever seen, and the summers are gorgeous, although short.... But here in the south I never even see other people outside in the summer, it's just too hot haha. I would move back to Madison in a heart beat if I could.

I can confirm all of this- I was born in Madison, and have gone back and visited a few times. It's really beautiful- I love the lakes, I love the campus (Really wish we had something like the union terrace at georiga, I love it). The farmer's market is the best I've ever seen, and the summers are gorgeous, although short.... But here in the south I never even see other people outside in the summer, it's just too hot haha. I would move back to Madison in a heart beat if I could.
Fellow cheesehead here - agree with all of this! WISCONSIN ROCKS!

Does anyone know if there will be an open house for accepted applicants? I have a vague memory of reading this somewhere, but can't seem to find any information on it...

Does anyone know if there will be an open house for accepted applicants? I have a vague memory of reading this somewhere, but can't seem to find any information on it...

They do have an open house. It's usually in the middle of March-ish.

I was suppose to start an internship a few weeks ago, which I put on the Wisconsin supplemental but some stuff fell through and I wasn't able to start...I'm nervous that now there is misinformation on my supplemental

Anyone know when we are supposed to hear from Wisconsin?

@cheathac - Based on last year's acceptances/rejections, I'd say by mid-February for acceptances? But that's just me inferring. I have no actual idea. I'm just wrestling with two last schools to let me know and all I can do is surmise. :heckyeah:

Reactions: 1 users
When I called in to verify that they received my transcripts, they said that they will try to send out decisions mid/late Feb.

I was suppose to start an internship a few weeks ago, which I put on the Wisconsin supplemental but some stuff fell through and I wasn't able to start...I'm nervous that now there is misinformation on my supplemental

You weren't intentionally being dishonest and you couldn't have known at the time it would fall through. I doubt the internship will make or break your application. You could always call and let them know, I have let them know about updates to my application and they have been super nice and receptive. They might appreciate the honesty, but I wouldn't worry too much over it.

Late February, per the email I just received. Man, the f5 key on this laptop is fixing to fall off.

you just received an email? I haven't gotten anything. what was it about?

you just received an email? I haven't gotten anything. what was it about?

Just an update on the timeline of the review process. They also let us know that the Open House will be March 3, 2017, should we be accepted. I'm sure everyone will get the same email at some point.

Just got that email too... my heart stopped lol.. so it kind of sucks that we'll only have potentially a week to book a flight for the open house... hopefully they mean "late February" at the latest

ah, just got the email :)

Just got that email too... my heart stopped lol.. so it kind of sucks that we'll only have potentially a week to book a flight for the open house... hopefully they mean "late February" at the latest

Not lucky enough to be able to drive, eh? ;)

Got the email as well!! Good luck everyone!!