UW c/o 2021 - ON WISCONSIN!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rodeomarie

UW c/o 2021
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Class of 2021 - Let's get this started!

Members don't see this ad.

Is this for the University of Wisconsin? I'm applying! Can't wait!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would be awesome to go here but unfortunately I'm OOS and they don't accept very many.

Reactions: 1 user
Saw this thread and it really hit me that it has been a whole year since I applied! Good luck everyone, the process may seem long but an acceptance makes it so worth it!

Last edited:
Mentioned this on the 2021 and the Cornell thread, but I was considering applying to either Wisconsin/Cornell as a 4th slot (I may not able to include either after all due to being accepted into things, but for now I will still consider the possibility).

A little worried about how few OOS students they accept (that's the reason I am no longer attempting to apply to LSU), but does anyone know exactly how they evaluate GPAs and GRE scores? For example Cornell uses the highest score of each Q/V section, even if from different attempts, so does Wisconsin use highest total single attempt or of each section?

Also, Wisconsin says that they do not accept "advance standing transfer credits". I took that to mean something like my algebra credit (listed as a P advanced standing on my transcript), but does that also include credits transferred in advance from another institution? I entered college with several community college credits (mainly in English and Social Sciences type courses).

Mentioned this on the 2021 and the Cornell thread, but I was considering applying to either Wisconsin/Cornell as a 4th slot (I may not able to include either after all due to being accepted into things, but for now I will still consider the possibility).

A little worried about how few OOS students they accept (that's the reason I am no longer attempting to apply to LSU), but does anyone know exactly how they evaluate GPAs and GRE scores? For example Cornell uses the highest score of each Q/V section, even if from different attempts, so does Wisconsin use highest total single attempt or of each section?

Also, Wisconsin says that they do not accept "advance standing transfer credits". I took that to mean something like my algebra credit (listed as a P advanced standing on my transcript), but does that also include credits transferred in advance from another institution? I entered college with several community college credits (mainly in English and Social Sciences type courses).

I am confused about what you are asking. If you are curious if they accept community college credits, they certainly do. As long as your college(s) is accredited by the higher education board, your credits count. After applying to Wisconsin OOS last cycle and receiving feedback from an admissions councilor, it is clear that the school values numbers above anything else-- GPA, GRE, and number of experience hours matters. You never know exactly what they are looking for, but they certainly follow a formula. I have a high GPA and GRE score for their OOS averages and plenty of experience hours and was still wait listed at >#125. The percentage of OOS applicants offered admission is 26/~1,000-- <2.6%. Very competitive. If you are in state, your chances increase to 60/~180-- >33%. I'm glad I'm applying in-state this round :D

Last edited:
I am confused about what you are asking. If you are curious if they accept community college credits, they certainly do. As long as your college(s) is accredited by the higher education board, your credits count. After applying to Wisconsin OOS last cycle and receiving feedback from an admissions councilor, it is clear that the school values numbers above anything else-- GPA, GRE, and number of experience hours matters. You never know exactly what they are looking for, but they certainly follow a formula. I have a high GPA and GRE score for their OOS averages and plenty of experience hours and was still wait listed at >#125. The percentage of OOS applicants offered admission is 26/~1,000-- <2.6%. Very competitive. If you are in state, your chances increase to 60/~180-- >33%. I'm glad I'm applying in-state this round :D
I asked this because I thought I read: "We do not accept advance standing transfer credits". By that statement I wasn't entirely sure if that meant they would not accept items such as AP credits, credits earned by "testing out" of certain classes, or any transfer credit that was taken prior to beginning your actual undergraduate degree (e.g., some community college courses I took dual-credit in high school). Looking over the site again though, it says "The UW School of Veterinary Medicine does not accept advanced-standing transfers into the professional DVM program." So they probably mean student transfers? :eggface: Oy, it was late when I first read it...

Geez, based on your experience applying + their listed previous OOS stats, I don't think I'd stand much of a chance there! My cumulative undergrad GPA is middle-of-the-road, very below average for OOS, though my GRE V score is higher. Although according to previous applicants on here, they seem to go pretty far down the waitlist most years. As I mentioned though, I may not be able to apply here anymore since I have a summer internship + starting a post bacc in the fall, so I won't be able to take Physics II by next spring. It's looking like I may just have to forget about picking a 4th school this time around. Thanks for the info!

If you think you will be able to swing
I asked this because I thought I read: "We do not accept advance standing transfer credits". By that statement I wasn't entirely sure if that meant they would not accept items such as AP credits, credits earned by "testing out" of certain classes, or any transfer credit that was taken prior to beginning your actual undergraduate degree (e.g., some community college courses I took dual-credit in high school). Looking over the site again though, it says "The UW School of Veterinary Medicine does not accept advanced-standing transfers into the professional DVM program." So they probably mean student transfers? :eggface: Oy, it was late when I first read it...

Geez, based on your experience applying + their listed previous OOS stats, I don't think I'd stand much of a chance there! My cumulative undergrad GPA is middle-of-the-road, very below average for OOS, though my GRE V score is higher. Although according to previous applicants on here, they seem to go pretty far down the waitlist most years. As I mentioned though, I may not be able to apply here anymore since I have a summer internship + starting a post bacc in the fall, so I won't be able to take Physics II by next spring. It's looking like I may just have to forget about picking a 4th school this time around. Thanks for the info!

If you can fulfill the prerequisite courses, it is definitely worth applying. As @Avera803 noted, Wisconsin's WL moves quite a lot every year. It's a great school in a pretty cool town :D. Good Luck!

Finally submitted my app! So nervous, Wisconsin is number one for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now the only thing we have to do for Wisconsin is complete the required applicant data? Then they send us a supplemental in November?

Wisconsin is my top choice and I am quite nervous about getting in. Good luck to everyone applying!

Do you know if they send the supplemental app to everyone? Or if that is when they sound out the first rejections too?

They send it to everyone.

They don't interview and I think they don't really do rounds of rejections, but someone might have to correct me on that. But it definitely said that everyone gets the supplemental.

They send it to everyone.

They don't interview and I think they don't really do rounds of rejections, but someone might have to correct me on that. But it definitely said that everyone gets the supplemental.
Correct on all three points!

does anyone know when they sent out acceptances last year?

When in November should we expect the supplemental app to drop?

When in November should we expect the supplemental app to drop?

I spoke with Jenna Henshue (director of admissions) when she was visiting my school last weekend, and she told me to expect it sometime between early-mid November. She said we'd have 2-3 weeks to complete it.
We'll find out whether or not we got in at the end of February via a phone call and mail.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
So nervous. Several applicants are already hearing back from other schools!
OOS, first-time applicant for Wisconsin here. 3rd time applying overall. What about y'all?

So nervous. Several applicants are already hearing back from other schools!
OOS, first-time applicant for Wisconsin here. 3rd time applying overall. What about y'all?
Ha! Its going to be quite sometime before we hear back....Feb! Best of luck -IS here.

Got an email from U of Wisconsin this morning. It said my application is complete and that I should send Fall transcripts by January 17. It also said this about the supplemental: "Applicants will be notified by e-mail in mid-November to complete our supplemental application. A $60.00 application fee will be assessed at that time."

Before anyone freaks out about getting or not getting the email, remember that Wisconsin sends the supplemental to everyone and email timings have to do with the (probably random) order in which they process applications.

Reactions: 2 users
Got an email from U of Wisconsin this morning. It said my application is complete and that I should send Fall transcripts by January 17. It also said this about the supplemental: "Applicants will be notified by e-mail in mid-November to complete our supplemental application. A $60.00 application fee will be assessed at that time."

Before anyone freaks out about getting or not getting the email, remember that Wisconsin sends the supplemental to everyone and email timings have to do with the (probably random) order in which they process applications.

yep just got the same email!

Got that email as well. But it always freaks me out when I get an email titled similar to "application supporting document status" or "application status" because I automatically assume it means I'm missing something. :dead:

Got the email for the supplemental!

Uhh... what if I haven't been up to much that's new/interesting/impressive since submitting VMCAS? Anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: 3 users
What's with the question about what first and second career choices we selected on the VMCAS? Are they testing us? Because I might not remember what I put as my second career choice...

Last edited:
What's with the question about what first and second career choices we selected on the VMCAS? Are they testing us? Because I might not remember what I put as my first career choice...
I looked at my application and do not even see those questions. Does anyone know where they might be? Or perhaps they were from a different cycle and got carried over?

What's with the question about what first and second career choices we selected on the VMCAS? Are they testing us? Because I might not remember what I put as my first career choice...

I looked at my application and do not even see those questions. Does anyone know where they might be? Or perhaps they were from a different cycle and got carried over?

Where are those on the supplemental? I'm not sure if they were removed or if I'm just missing them.

Thanks! That's really weird. I wonder if it's just a poorly phrased question. It says "VMCAS essay" and our personal statements were supposed to talk about career goals. But I certainly didn't write about my second choice career, and I can't imagine too many others did!

Thanks! That's really weird. I wonder if it's just a poorly phrased question. It says "VMCAS essay" and our personal statements were supposed to talk about career goals. But I certainly didn't write about my second choice career, and I can't imagine too many others did!

Yeah I think its just worded oddly. I think they just want to know what two areas of veterinary medicine you are interested in pursuing, but I could be wrong.

Is it weird that "Master of Public Health" shows up in the drop down menu for the career choice questions?

Graduate school isn't a career... well, not for most people anyway.

Yeah that part made me very nervous. I am not sure what they are referring to. I don't remember what (or if) I said anything about my number 1 or 2 area of veterinary medicine....

I got the supplemental application today, but I think I am going to withdraw my application since I already got into my second choice school. Do any of you guys know how I should go about doing that? Or should I just wait until the December deadline and just not turn in my supplemental?

Yeah that part made me very nervous. I am not sure what they are referring to. I don't remember what (or if) I said anything about my number 1 or 2 area of veterinary medicine....

You can email VMCAS to ask for a PDF of your application if you want to see what you wrote. Otherwise, I'm sure just listing your top two choices will be fine.

I got the supplemental application today, but I think I am going to withdraw my application since I already got into my second choice school. Do any of you guys know how I should go about doing that? Or should I just wait until the December deadline and just not turn in my supplemental?

I doubt it really matters since they won't consider your application without the supplemental, but it would probably be best to contact them and let them know. That way they won't have to contact you to let you know your supplemental is missing (not sure if they do that) and it seems like the polite thing to do. There was contact info in the email about the supplemental.

Congrats on your acceptance(s) so far! If you don't mind me asking, what are your first and second choice schools?

You can email VMCAS to ask for a PDF of your application if you want to see what you wrote. Otherwise, I'm sure just listing your top two choices will be fine.

I doubt it really matters since they won't consider your application without the supplemental, but it would probably be best to contact them and let them know. That way they won't have to contact you to let you know your supplemental is missing (not sure if they do that) and it seems like the polite thing to do. There was contact info in the email about the supplemental.

Congrats on your acceptance(s) so far! If you don't mind me asking, what are your first and second choice schools?
My first choice is Western and second choice was midwestern! I interviewed at western too, so I'm waiting to hear back from them!! :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 7.04.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 7.04.19 PM.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 116
I mean is it bad to say I haven't done anything? I'm in class 26 hours a week.. but I added that I'm a vet assistant at two clinics as well as a kennel attendant (new jobs since the school year). I'm an officer of two clubs but I already put that on my VMCAS... I haven't really added anything non vet/animal related.

My roommate left that question completely blank last year and still was accepted OOS. So I don't think they dock you if you haven't done much since.

Does anyone know how to quantify "underrepresented ethnic background"? I'm curious if being jewish applies here. usually underrepresented means that the population % in whatever you are looking at is less than the % of people in that group in the United States. Jewish population in the US is about 2%, not sure if veterinarian jewish population is any higher or lower than that though.

Also not sure if they are just looking for specific race/ethnicities like the ones asked on the next ethnicity section.

I mean is it bad to say I haven't done anything? I'm in class 26 hours a week.. but I added that I'm a vet assistant at two clinics as well as a kennel attendant (new jobs since the school year). I'm an officer of two clubs but I already put that on my VMCAS... I haven't really added anything non vet/animal related.

I'm on the same boat. I haven't done much other than continue employment and volunteering. Both of which are already on my VMCAS application. I don't know whether to write about that or not...hmmm....:thinking::thinking: