UTMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderer5609

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have searched long and hard and can't find much new info about this program. I interviewed here and got a really laid back vibe. Obviously this isn't a top tier in Texas, but does it have a decent reputation? Any info would help!

Also anyone that has lived in this area of the country... does the humidity/mosquitoes border on unbearable? I was there in the winter and it was obviously super nice.

Members don't see this ad.

This was my take on UTMB from the impressions thread I posted previously: "Very relaxed and laid back environment. Residents were very friendly and seemed to love the program. Peds appears to be the only weakness as there is no children's hospital (and only 1 peds staff I believe). The IR experience for residents seemed really solid, with a ton of involvement on procedures. They have a unique 30 minute "break time" after lunch lecture in which they get to spend it doing whatever. Didn't find that feature at any other program."

I really did enjoy UTMB and think it's a good program. From what I understand, all of the Texas programs have solid reputations except maybe El Paso and Methodist Houston (It's new). I'm basing this off of feedback from my rads faculty advisor at my Texas medical school.

I'm a Houston native so I can also speak to the weather. Yes, it's very humid. Any strenuous activity during the daytime/early evening in the summer can be borderline unbearable. Expect to quickly become sticky/sweaty anytime you're outside from May-September. It also depends on what kind weather you are used to. As a lifetime Texan, I'd take these summers over brutal winters any day.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in UTMB SOM. Of course you won't find enough info, because you have to do your own research in what exactly you want based on what you have. It's hard to define specifics, but always worth the investment. To make it easier, I'll tell you what I think is relevant.

Reputation/Network: UTMB has some really old ties, since we're the oldest state medical school and part of TMC. It's a little known fact that MD Anderson (#1 in Oncology (including RadOnc) worldwide, UTMB, MD Anderson to collaborate on League City campus | MD Anderson Cancer Center) is going to partner with UTMB in League City Campus for a Cancer Clinic, to be finished in 2018. It's not the top Texas medical school (UTSW and Baylor) in terms of pure research prestige, but it is absolutely reputable enough (about top 40 NIH funding) to secure top partnerships. Also, it has a better international than national reputation.

Perception: The doctors are well-known for chillness and patient satisfaction relative to all other Texas schools. When you're in Galveston, and Houston, you'll get a lot of instant "social proof" without the awkwardness of "ivory tower" prestige if you know what I mean. Also, starting off with any conversation with the beach and cruises gives others a comfortable feeling. But that's more of a personal preference.

Weather: it's absolutely humid, but definitely not unbearable, and I'm from dry Austin. There's a very nice seabreeze that makes it feel better than Houston humidity. As far as mosquitoes, I've never had any problems on campus (nor have I heard that there were), but if you live in certain areas of the island especially near the port, I've heard it's prudent to get repellent. I live a little further away and didn't have any problems.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This was my take on UTMB from the impressions thread I posted previously: "Very relaxed and laid back environment. Residents were very friendly and seemed to love the program. Peds appears to be the only weakness as there is no children's hospital (and only 1 peds staff I believe). The IR experience for residents seemed really solid, with a ton of involvement on procedures. They have a unique 30 minute "break time" after lunch lecture in which they get to spend it doing whatever. Didn't find that feature at any other program."

I really did enjoy UTMB and think it's a good program. From what I understand, all of the Texas programs have solid reputations except maybe El Paso and Methodist Houston (It's new). I'm basing this off of feedback from my rads faculty advisor at my Texas medical school.

I'm a Houston native so I can also speak to the weather. Yes, it's very humid. Any strenuous activity during the daytime/early evening in the summer can be borderline unbearable. Expect to quickly become sticky/sweaty anytime you're outside from May-September. It also depends on what kind weather you are used to. As a lifetime Texan, I'd take these summers over brutal winters any day.
Out of curiousity why is El Paso not considered a good program? I'm from Arizona so they were on my radar due to location. Their fellowship matches were pretty good and I'm sure with them being next to Mexico, the pathology seen is the best around. Plus it's the only trauma 1 center in that area. What did your program director say?

Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiousity why is El Paso not considered a good program? I'm from Arizona so they were on my radar due to location. Their fellowship matches were pretty good and I'm sure with them being next to Mexico, the pathology seen is the best around. Plus it's the only trauma 1 center in that area. What did your program director say?

All my advisor said was it didn't have a good reputation relative to the other programs in the state. Honestly, I had zero desire to go to El Paso so I took her word at face value.

Is UTMB still on probation or you guys could solve the problem?

Is UTMB still on probation? The Radiology program is not comparable to Houston's or other Major cities of Tx. Even El Paso's never been on Probation. Many of UTMB's good attendings left the program.

Is UTMB still on probation? The Radiology program is not comparable to Houston's or other Major cities of Tx. Even El Paso's never been on Probation. Many of UTMB's good attendings left the program.

Where did you see that they were on probation? The ACGME has a tool to find Programs or Institutions with Probationary Status here: https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/Report/9

EDIT: this additional link does not provide any evidence to support your claim that UTMB was ever on probation if you click on their history https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/P...91&specialtyCategoryTypeId=&numCode=420&city=

Last edited:
I interviewed in El Paso back in the day. I think they don’t get many good US grad matches because of location. The only red flag to me was the size of the program and potential to take a ton of call. In terms of faculty support, funding, pathology, etc... it seemed to be fine.

I grew up in El Paso and would say it’s a good city. Friendly, good food, decent night life, low cost of living. The only problem is that it is essentially an island (nearest large cities are 4.5 hours away).

As for utmb... I don’t know much about the rad residency, so I won’t comment on that.

I interviewed in El Paso back in the day. I think they don’t get many good US grad matches because of location. The only red flag to me was the size of the program and potential to take a ton of call. In terms of faculty support, funding, pathology, etc... it seemed to be fine.

I grew up in El Paso and would say it’s a good city. Friendly, good food, decent night life, low cost of living. The only problem is that it is essentially an island (nearest large cities are 4.5 hours away).

As for utmb... I don’t know much about the rad residency, so I won’t comment on that.
I would really like to go back to El Paso for residency but I just don't want to make a big mistake. I am a good applicant and can likely get into somewhere with a better name and better overall. However, rads residency is freakin long when you count fellowship. It'd be nice to be back home where I have support and feel comfortable. It is a small program, but I've been told call isn't very bad and you don't take as much as you'd think with there only being 3 residents. I'm pretty conflicted to be honest. I guess part of it is my pride/ego knowing I could go somewhere much "better" where the program is comprised of American grads. Eventually I see myself practicing in El Paso anyways, so yeah, I could go elsewhere for residency, but like we all know, 6 years is long to me. What do you think?

UTMB is not and has not been under probation. Not sure where you heard that. The program is solid. Residents are very happy and faculty are laid-back and friendly.

Btw, would you mind divulging where you went for residency and if you'd recommend it?

You have to go where you will be happy. The most important things to me were seeing a wide variety of pathology, a lot of independence, good teaching, research opportunities, and most importantly... happy people that get along.

6 years is a long time, but you can view is as an opportunity to be somewhere else for a little bit, then move back home.

But maybe you’d be able to move back in with the family, save on rent, and start paying back student loans and hit the ground running with zero debt as an attending.

You have to go where you will be happy. The most important things to me were seeing a wide variety of pathology, a lot of independence, good teaching, research opportunities, and most importantly... happy people that get along.

6 years is a long time, but you can view is as an opportunity to be somewhere else for a little bit, then move back home.

But maybe you’d be able to move back in with the family, save on rent, and start paying back student loans and hit the ground running with zero debt as an attending.
Ultimately, I know I will be happy when I am home. I've never really enjoyed living far away from family. I'm not like a lot of people who get excited at the idea of living somewhere new every few years, just not wired that way. However, I also don't want to make a big mistake going to a poor program that will leave me regretful. I don't have a significant other or kids, so it's pretty much just me.