UTMB Galveston IM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phxeagles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone interviewed at UTMB Galveston for IM residency? What is your input about this program? They seem to treat their interviewees very well. How is the IM program post Ike? Do they offer positions out of match? I interview there in December...Any input appreciated.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i'll be heading there for IM residency. since no one has replied to you yet, from interview and what ive gathered (as well as concerns about utmb not recovering yet post ike) here's a bit of info:
1. the program has interns trained in u/s (very pocus based which is awesome esp for future hospitalists)
2. from interview, the program has close to 100% fellowship match (in the website it says 92% but from our 2016-2017 app cycle talks, the list is being updated for the 2016 grads and its close to 100%)- pulmcc, cards, gi hemonc (the main ones) and then the rest
3. they have night teams to avoid night calls and allow for better pt care continuity
4. utmb is the oldest medical school in tx, and has a substantial research background (if you want to do bench then you have the galveston national lab one of the few labs that house the bubonic plague)
5. galveston is a beach town (cheap $800-1000), and 50min from houston
6. utmb LOVES TO KEEP ITS OWN PEOPLE (for faculty or fellowships), good if you wanna settle down (the pd has been there since med school)
7. very nice folks esp the faculty! they prioritize resident wellness even in a university program
8. $6 meal cards? or was it 8. i forget/ multiple garage/open parking for employees)
9. public hospital (new!) + prison hospital (pretty unique for case pathology/mgt) + specialty/op clinics (then you have the burn centers, etc- just look it up)
10. and we get to work w//teach med, pa, nursing students
11. tacos

Status
Not open for further replies.