UT Southwestern vs Baylor College of Medicine? (Med School -> Derm)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marieclarie224

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to gain the insight of professionals in the dermatology field to match derm specifically, so I did not post in the pre-allo forum.

I am going to be attending medical school in the summer. For attempting to match dermatology, would it be more advantageous to go to UT Southwestern or Baylor College of Medicine?

It seems that UTSW has a higher ranked dermatology program, but on the other hand Baylor has a higher rank on USNWR Research and Program Director rankings.

Also, are derm faculty/PI at either school known to provide better or more effective mentoring to medical students in terms of accepting them for research and putting them on publications (maybe even as 1st author)?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Marie

Members don't see this ad.

Go with BCM. We have the highest step average in the country (~245) so you'll have the most important thing to match into derm. TMC is huge and has huge names in dermatology that can help you get LORs from big wigs

the dude above is wrong. prestige of derm program way more important that prestige of med school in terms of matching into derm. go with utsw.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with Milk, go with UTSW. You have the highest chance of matching with your own program, but you'll also want letters from the most well-known faculty. UTSW is the stronger derm program

Could you guys give opinions on Northwestern vs Columbia? As far as I know I love dermatology, but I'd like to confirm that I do or don't like it early on, so I want to choose a school that has a reputation for helping their interested students. I'm so torn between the schools I just need something to push one ahead of the other. (Sorry to hijack the thread but I didn't want to fill the sub with school x vs y threads!)

I just wanted to gain the insight of professionals in the dermatology field to match derm specifically, so I did not post in the pre-allo forum.

I am going to be attending medical school in the summer. For attempting to match dermatology, would it be more advantageous to go to UT Southwestern or Baylor College of Medicine?

It seems that UTSW has a higher ranked dermatology program, but on the other hand Baylor has a higher rank on USNWR Research and Program Director rankings.

Also, are derm faculty/PI at either school known to provide better or more effective mentoring to medical students in terms of accepting them for research and putting them on publications (maybe even as 1st author)?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Marie

Like the others have noted, if your interest is in derm, pick the school with the best derm program.

That being said, there are too many factors to make it that simple. Are you sure derm is the only field for you? How do you know you would get along with the faculty at School X's derm program over School Y's derm program? Would it look better to finish at the top of School X or in the middle of School Y? School Y's derm program might favor med students from their own school while School X's derm program (because of its prestige level), is known to look outside.

I would pick the best medical school for you (based on interest / cost / proximity to family / etc) rather than solely picking with the intent of matching into derm.

Could you guys give opinions on Northwestern vs Columbia? As far as I know I love dermatology, but I'd like to confirm that I do or don't like it early on, so I want to choose a school that has a reputation for helping their interested students. I'm so torn between the schools I just need something to push one ahead of the other. (Sorry to hijack the thread but I didn't want to fill the sub with school x vs y threads!)

See my post above. Pick the best medical school first, students change their minds very often about career choice. Picking a school to enter one specialty can very easily lead to disillusionment. If you excel at either Northwestern or Columbia, your choice of school will not be the deciding factor in whether you do or don't match into dermatology.