UT Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrRads

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the UT Houston ESIR works, since the IR fellowship is actually through MD Anderson? Basically I want to make sure that they do in fact have (or are planning to have) an ESIR program, and how many spots are available per year.

Members don't see this ad.

Like I said when I responded to your personal message, we do not currently have an ESIR, and I can't guarantee that we will have it.

What I didn't tell you (because you didn't express the same concern in the same manner) was that having the integrated IR program through MD Anderson shouldn't be a concern for you. MD Anderson is actually the "UT MD Anderson Cancer Center." It's not like it's some distant, mystical organization. It's the flagship of UT. We're just getting united for the DR/IR path.

With all of that said, I don't see any reason we wouldn't have an ESIR path before it's an issue for anyone. If a program doesn't have it, they're shooting themselves in the foot for applicants who are interested in IR, but aren't willing to commit to it during the match. Why would they match with UT when program X has an ESIR? We have all of the resources.

Like I said when I responded to your personal message, we do not currently have an ESIR, and I can't guarantee that we will have it.

What I didn't tell you (because you didn't express the same concern in the same manner) was that having the integrated IR program through MD Anderson shouldn't be a concern for you. MD Anderson is actually the "UT MD Anderson Cancer Center." It's not like it's some distant, mystical organization. It's the flagship of UT. We're just getting united for the DR/IR path.

With all of that said, I don't see any reason we wouldn't have an ESIR path before it's an issue for anyone. If a program doesn't have it, they're shooting themselves in the foot for applicants who are interested in IR, but aren't willing to commit to it during the match. Why would they match with UT when program X has an ESIR? We have all of the resources.

Hey tco! Do you know if UTH has at least applied for ESIR? Is it in process? They definitely have the volume...seems like they would easily receive approval if they applied.

Hey tco! Do you know if UTH has at least applied for ESIR? Is it in process? They definitely have the volume...seems like they would easily receive approval if they applied.

Our application is pending.

It would be strange to not be accepted, though. Can you imagine how a program could be accepted for DR/IR residency, and have matched 3 residents this year, but be denied ESIR? I can't.