Votes: 1 16.7%
  • University of Texas at Austin

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leviosa_sid

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted about this earlier but I wasn't specific enough. My tuition is covered in both schools but at Austin I have to take out a loan for housing while at Houston I'll be commuting. I believe taking out a loan will be an investment in my future because my goal is to get into medical school. I just wanted to know which school has a good premed program and does undergrad really not matter for medical school? I hear the networking is great at Austin but do I need networking to get into medical school? I thought a solid GPA, mcat score, and volunteer experience will be sufficient enough to get into medical school and I spoke to a medical student and she said if I try my best I can network and succeed anywhere. Also, going to UH I can take out loans for study abroad or other activities instead of spending so much for housing. I'm very indecisive as anyone can tell from this post, I don't want to make the wrong decision and regret it in the long run. Any advice will be super helpful! :) Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Well I think "networking" probably helps you when you're looking for good LORs and research opps (although the latter can be easy to attain if you are at a good research school). But then again, you just need to be a student that shows a good work ethic and commitment to his/her studies. I like to believe hard work (and smart work) always leads to open doors. I voted for Houston, but honestly I chose it because it seems like you are leaning more towards that school (the only thing holding you back is the whole "networking" deal). No matter what college you go to there will have been alumni who made it to med school. good luck in your future endeavors!

Reactions: 1 user
You are right, both are good schools and hard work will get you into medical school. One of the top students at my school went to UH.

That being said, go to UT Austin. It has a better reputation statewide and much better nationwide. Networking matters more than you think. As unfair as it is name recognition and alumni network matter and will keep doors open to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I think "networking" probably helps you when you're looking for good LORs and research opps (although the latter can be easy to attain if you are at a good research school). But then again, you just need to be a student that shows a good work ethic and commitment to his/her studies. I like to believe hard work (and smart work) always leads to open doors. I voted for Houston, but honestly I chose it because it seems like you are leaning more towards that school (the only thing holding you back is the whole "networking" deal). No matter what college you go to there will have been alumni who made it to med school. good luck in your future endeavors!
UH is a top tier research university! :) I don't know why I'm so bias against UT maybe because my whole graduating class wants to go there.