Usphs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

West14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have info on U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned corps?
What role would a psychiatirst play? Salary? Ability to pick where you want to go? etc..
Sounds like an exciting and service oriented oppertunity. Would love to hear from people involved or know of people who are involved.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have info on U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned corps?
What role would a psychiatirst play? Salary? Ability to pick where you want to go? etc..
Thanks

They have the same pay grade that the rest of the US government uses, so you can find the pay calculator here

I talked to a rep a couple of years ago. I think you'd start off as a O-4, probably around $110k not including all the perks (housing, moving expenses paid for, etc)

You don't get to pick where you're stationed. It's just like the rest of the uniformed services in that manner. They also have TDYs, not to Afghanistan or any other battlefield, but to Latin America for example to do humanitarian work. So, you won't get killed or have to fire a gun, but you'd still be away from your family several months out of the year. To me, that was a deal breaker

If you're in to public service and want more control where you work, you might try the National Health Service Core. You apply to a site and negotiate your wage as you would a normal job. Many sites qualify for a loan repayment program that you can find on their website

The NHSC is a bit of a administrative nightmare, but if you can look past the paperwork, it's a great opportunity.

Good luck

I currently work for USPHS and some information mentioned is accurate but the rest aren't. First, I love it and it was one of the best decisions I made. You are not mandated to go anywhere like the other military branches. You choose where you go unless a specific agency like Indian Health Clinic or the Bureau of Prison gave you a bonus. If you accept it, the committment is usually for a couple years then you can transfer out. You are not mandated to go to places like Latin America. Everyone is assigned a deployment team so if a natural disaster occurs during your month and you are selected, you can opt to not go if your job needs you to stay like if you are the only physician available. It's not as strict as the military.
There are officers who have been in the Corp for over 10 years and have never left the country. The benefits are amazing, the lifestyle is great. You are able to spend a lot of time with your family because most officers are off on Federal holidays and weekends and you also get 30 days paid vacation and can carry up to 60 days over. You don't pay for healthcare or dental. There is a non-contributory pension meaning if you remain in the Corp for up to 20 yrs, you receive 50% of your base pay as pension for life and if you are there for up to 30yrs, you receive 75% of your base pay as pension for life.
There are numerous agencies within USPHS that physicians can work. If you are interested, you can check out: www.usphs.gov

Best wishes and if you have any question, please let me know,

I'm going into Psychiatry as well and hope to get the NHSC S2S scholarship.

I saw that I can repay my NHSC obligation within the USPHS ...

Is it possibe to take any positiion within the USPHS for it to be okay with NHSC or does it have to be underserved area, etc.... e..g I could see where IHS might be legit but doing a stint with Coast Guard as USPHS might not be ...

Are there opportunities to volunteer for overseas missions, humanitarian or otherwise?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I currently work for USPHS and some information mentioned is accurate but the rest aren't. First, I love it and it was one of the best decisions I made. You are not mandated to go anywhere like the other military branches. You choose where you go unless a specific agency like Indian Health Clinic or the Bureau of Prison gave you a bonus. If you accept it, the committment is usually for a couple years then you can transfer out. You are not mandated to go to places like Latin America. Everyone is assignedle to a deployment team so if a natural disaster occurs during your month and you are selected, you can opt to not go if your job needs you to stay like if you are the only physician available. It's not as strict as the military.
There are officers who have been in the Corp for over 10 years and have never left the country. The benefits are amazing, the lifestyle is great. You are able to spend a lot of time with your family because most officers are off on Federal holidays and weekends and you also get 30 days paid vacation and can carry up to 60 days over. You don't pay for healthcare or dental. There is a non-contributory pension meaning if you remain in the Corp for up to 20 yrs, you receive 50% of your base pay as pension for life and if you are there for up to 30yrs, you receive 75% of your base pay as pension for life.
There are numerous agencies within USPHS that physicians can work. If you are interested, you can check out: www.usphs.gov

Best wishes and if you have any question, please let me know,