USMLE/COMLEX USMLE Step 2 Review Books - Save 20%

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGrawHillMed

MH Medical Test Prep
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
USMLE Step 2 CK Review Books - Save 20%

First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK is written by medical students who successfully passed the exam and reviewed by top faculty. The result is proven information and strategies that maximize your study time and deliver the results you want!​

First Aid Q&A for the USMLE Step 2 CK features 1000 board-style questions along with easy to navigate, high-yield explanations of correct and incorrect answers. You'll also find hundreds of valuable images, diagrams, and tables.​

First Aid Cases for the USMLE Step 2 CK is a powerful casebook and packed with 344 exam-type clinical cases that teach you how to work through questions on the exam.​

LANGE Q&A: USMLE Step 2 CK is a comprehensive Q&A review of the core topics tested on the exam. Chapters are organized by clerkship topics so you can study one topic at a time or use the book to prepare for clerkship exams.​

Clinical Vignettes for the USMLE Step 2 CK: Pretest is a compilation of the best questions from eight McGraw-Hill PreTest clinical review books and provides you with the perfect vehicle for assessing your knowledge before taking the exam.

Deja Review USMLE Step 2 CK provides a rapid, straightforward way for students to assess their knowledge level. Features active-recall style questions and answers in a two-column format. This unique format allows students to review and commit a large amount of information to memory in a short amount of time.

For a full list of books and to save 20% off click here.
Offer good until February 5, 2010. Discount only applies to books ordered directly from McGraw-Hill website

:luck: McGraw-Hill Companies will be giving away one copy (of the winner's choice) of one of the titles listed above to one lucky member! Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

007162354X.jpeg
0071625712.jpeg
0071625704.jpeg

0071643184.jpeg
0071604634.jpeg
0071448764.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

Having used First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 2009, I am familiar with the First Aid style.

Is First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK organized in a similar fashion? How is the information broken down and presented? Are their high yield associations as were present in the FA 2009?

What would you say are the strengths of your product, as compared to others?

Members don't see this ad :)
Could FA for Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS be used in conjunction with each other effectively?

I've used prep courses in the past with varying levels of success (COMLEX/MCAT/etc) but I am considering using independent study with your books this time around. In your opinion, what might be the best resources in the FA line or by McGraw-Hill that will facilitate a comprehensive review for COMLEX level 2 examinations (clinical & written). I do realize that I will have to use a COMLEX review book for OMM/OMT theory and techniques.

Thanks for your input.

I really enjoyed using your First Aid for Step 1 product. However, I have heard that your Step 2 product is not as excellent of a text. How does the new edition compare in quality to your Step 1 book? Thanks.

how do these products differ from first aid for the wards?

Are the questions updated throughout each edition for each of the books?

Having used First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 2009, I am familiar with the First Aid style.

Is First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK organized in a similar fashion? How is the information broken down and presented? Are their high yield associations as were present in the FA 2009?

First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK is organized by traditional subject area (cario, derm, GI, Heme/onc, ID, ob, gyn, pediatrics, etc.). Discussions are more narrative than in Step 1 and contain margin notes highlighting key concepts and mnemonics to improve retention.

What would you say are the strengths of your product, as compared to others?

Revised every 2-3 years by student authors based on student feedback from recent test-takers; faculty reviewed for accuracy; 6th edition is tried and true; companion Q&A and Cases books make this an excellent comprehensive study system for the boards as students can tackle one subject at a time (read GI in the book, read GI cases, and assess with GI Q&A).

Could FA for Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS be used in conjunction with each other effectively?

I've used prep courses in the past with varying levels of success (COMLEX/MCAT/etc) but I am considering using independent study with your books this time around. In your opinion, what might be the best resources in the FA line or by McGraw-Hill that will facilitate a comprehensive review for COMLEX level 2 examinations (clinical & written). I do realize that I will have to use a COMLEX review book for OMM/OMT theory and techniques.

Thanks for your input.

These are two separate exams and the books are not organized the same way. We advise preparing separately for each exam.

First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK 6th edition + First Aid Cases for the USMLE Step 2 CK 2e + First Aid Q&A for the USMLE Step 2 CK 2e + First Aid for the COMLEX 2e. You might also consider a short-term online test bank subscription (such as USMLEasy, which your university may subscribe to—as your librarian—or USMLERx or Kaplan).

how do these products differ from first aid for the wards?

First Aid for the Wards is designed as a primer on what to expect in each rotation, what the core competencies are for each, and what is expected of you as a student to excel. Ratings of clerkship books/resources in the back of the book are based on their usefulness on the wards, which is different from their usefulness for Step 2 CK preparation (where high-yield and conciseness trumps the need for concise bedside information, etc.) thus the different ratings in each book.

First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK is organized by traditional subject area (cario, derm, GI, Heme/onc, ID, ob, gyn, pediatrics, etc.). Discussions are more narrative than in Step 1 and contain margin notes highlighting key concepts and mnemonics to improve retention.

Thanks. :thumbup:

I have heard good things about Deja Review, but wasn't sure how it differs from the other Step 2 books. Is it more of a reference text, or are questions included as well?

Would I be correct in understanding that FA Cases is geared more towards the Step 2 exam and that FA Q&A is geared more towards individual clerkship rotations with their accompanying shelf exams? Or do I have it backwards?

It seems like McGraw-Hill has a wider variety of good offerings for Step 2, but I'm having some trouble distinguishing between all of the 'question-style' books.

FWIW, I am using the new FA 7th Edition USMLE Step 2 CK book and I am really enjoying it. I find it to have a similar and familiar layout as the Step 1 book which is nice. It also seems to be more comprehensive than some of the competitors books.

I have never heard of the Lange Q&A book before, but I am looking for a book with more USMLE-style review questions. I was wondering if the question stems are similar length to the ones found on the real exam.

Thanks!

Are the Q&A's same/similar between McGrawHill books or, if not, how different are they, in what way?

Status
Not open for further replies.