USMLE required for fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khaopoad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a UK medical student and is planning to complete my residency outside of USA and UK. Do I need to take the USMLE if I want to apply for a fellowship program at the States? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a UK medical student and is planning to complete my residency outside of USA and UK. Do I need to take the USMLE if I want to apply for a fellowship program at the States? Thanks!
I think it might depend on what fellowship program you're applying to (e.g., an IM subspecialty, a general surgical fellowship, EM, radiology, anesthesia). But in general, yes, you do. And not only take it but pass it. By the way the USMLE is composed of Step 1, Step 2CK, Step 2CS and Step 3. Each is a major exam that lasts a full day.

I think it might depend on what fellowship program you're applying to (e.g., an IM subspecialty, a general surgical fellowship, EM, radiology, anesthesia). But in general, yes, you do. And not only take it but pass it. By the way the USMLE is composed of Step 1, Step 2CK, Step 2CS and Step 3. Each is a major exam that lasts a full day.
Thank you very much!

Absolutely for GI and cardio (I think), and they also look at those scores so try to do as well as possible on them.