USMLE USMLE - Official 2016 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trogdor_The_Burninator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

With 2016 around the corner, I thought it would be a good time to start this thread and continue the 2015 thread into the new year!

Similar threads from the past have been extremely helpful to me (and I'm sure) and many others.

Good luck to everyone taking Step 2 CK in 2016!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For me after i done with a block, i write the title of questions on seperate paper in systematic pattern as neuro questions 21,22,23,35,40, infectious 1,2,7,13,30, ...etc then start writing notes on papers : infectious sheet, neuro sheet, GIT sheet ... etc , after finishing from each note, i wrote the title in documents on my laptop so i can easily reach it by search function. Each document contains only one branch eg. Neuro document, infectious document ... etc.
Its long process but worth it.
Advice : if you will study for ck only from uworld, first do the subject in seperate, thats much better. But if you already done your reading its better to do it randomly.
What's the numbering system done? Haven't stated UW yet...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I got my result today. I took it 5th of Dec.
Oh okay thanks for letting us know! I took it the 16th. But since yours came a week late mine hopefully is next week. I thought the test was extremely hard and have had so much anxiety having to wait :(
Ive already taken it once and failed. Took it a second time and thought it was even harder than the first even though I have been studying so much more and getting in the 230s on NBMEs. The test felt so different from uworld. Anyone else feel lost after that test but their scores were okay? Need any kind of inspiration.

Last edited:
Yes, read all the previous posts here. Nobody feels great after this exam even those with very high scores.

Oh okay thanks for letting us know! I took it the 16th. But since yours came a week late mine hopefully is next week. I thought the test was extremely hard and have had so much anxiety having to wait :(
Ive already taken it once and failed. Took it a second time and thought it was even harder than the first even though I have been studying so much more and getting in the 230s on NBMEs. The test felt so different from uworld. Anyone else feel lost after that test but their scores were okay? Need any kind of inspiration.
Read my past posts. I scored a 254 on UWSA after doing the Uworld Qbank 2x plus MTB2&3. Thought the real deal was NOTHING like Uworld. Ended up scoring 20 points below my UWSA. I would do all 3 NBME and average those before taking the real thing

What's the numbering system done? Haven't stated UW yet...
If you take random UW blocks the questions will not be ordered according to the systems, they will be in random manner, so after completing the block I rewrite the number of questions of same system on seperate sheet so i could easily anchor among them. Once you started UW it will be clear for you.

Hi everyone! I was new to posting a week ago but I, like the rest of us, always creep on these forums for support and insight. Therefore I wanted to write a post about my experience with CK to help out others because others have helped me stay positive.
1. You are not alone
- People are always more likely to write about their success and not their failures because naturally we are embarrassed. I failed CK the first time and I was devastated. I went into the biggest depression, I didnt see it coming at all, I wasnt even worried but then this came out of no where and I was a mess. And one of the hardest parts was thinking all my classmates were moving forward and didn't have to deal with this. But for anyone in my boat, you're not alone! And I completely understand and feel for how hard that is, esp. after you've worked so hard and come so far already. To get something snatched from you in a second, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy,

2. Life's not fair, but you can get through it.
- No matter how sad you feel, you need to keep going. You need to find hope. MLK- "If you lose hope, somehow you lose the vitality that keeps life moving, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on in spite of it all". A big part of that is a solid support system. Reach out to close friends and family and they will be your biggest cheerleaders. Ask friends or siblings in medicine to tutor you, or go over questions together so you can change your way of thinking! The people in your life give you strength and it can definitely be hard to reach out due to fear of judgement but your closest friends are more empathetic and understanding than you think.

3. Your feeling during the test has ZERO (and i mean ZERO) correlation to how you do.
- Okay here's my story...
Take 1: Just finished rotations, did uworld once and then half my incorrects and was scoring in the 70s. Took nbme 6 and got a 223. Took the real test and failed by a few points :(
Take 2: Used conrad fisher videos, did uworld twice, read MTB2. Did all 3 nbme's and got in the 230's, did UWSA got 242, and reviewed these w/ recent med grads. But still felt nervous since my nbme the first take was so over predictive. Test day: FELT HORRIBLE. I mean i literally cried on one of my breaks. It felt NOTHING like uworld or the nbmes. I marked more than half my answers cause I was so unsure. It was the worst test I had ever taken and with so much riding on a second take, I cant even begin to explain my anxiety. I walked out of there feeling worse than when i found out I failed. It took a month to get my scores back and I was a mess the whole time. It was torture.

Step 2 CK (take 2) score.... 248!!!!!!!!!
Guys, im serious I never in a million years thought I was capable of such a score. I know it's easy to read a lot of posts and be like, wow this person was scoring so high and then felt bad but scored the same they must have psyched themselves out. Or this person is complaining about a score I would have been happy with. I mean i went from both extremes. From the way bottom to a score I would never imagine. From 20 points below my practice tests to 20 points above. I still now dont know how I could have scored that from a test i felt so bad during but I hope that gives insight to others to try their best not to panic.

Sorry that was long, but I am so thankful and grateful and I hope I can help others stay strong the way my family, friends, and random ppl on the internet :p have helped me. Please message me if you need anything at all! And the Best of Luck to Everyone!!!

Charlie Day- "People will tell you to do what makes you happy, but all this has been hard work. And I'm not always happy. I don't think you should just do what makes you happy. Do what makes you great. Do what's uncomfortable and scary and hard but pays off in the long run. Be willing to fail. Let yourself fail. Fail in the way and place where you would be proud to fail. Fail and pick yourself up and fail again. Without that struggle, what is your success anyway? You don't have to be fearless just don't let fear stop you."

Reactions: 15 users
Tha
Hi everyone! I was new to posting a week ago but I, like the rest of us, always creep on these forums for support and insight. Therefore I wanted to write a post about my experience with CK to help out others because others have helped me stay positive.
1. You are not alone
- People are always more likely to write about their success and not their failures because naturally we are embarrassed. I failed CK the first time and I was devastated. I went into the biggest depression, I didnt see it coming at all, I wasnt even worried but then this came out of no where and I was a mess. And one of the hardest parts was thinking all my classmates were moving forward and didn't have to deal with this. But for anyone in my boat, you're not alone! And I completely understand and feel for how hard that is, esp. after you've worked so hard and come so far already. To get something snatched from you in a second, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy,

2. Life's not fair, but you can get through it.
- No matter how sad you feel, you need to keep going. You need to find hope. MLK- "If you lose hope, somehow you lose the vitality that keeps life moving, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on in spite of it all". A big part of that is a solid support system. Reach out to close friends and family and they will be your biggest cheerleaders. Ask friends or siblings in medicine to tutor you, or go over questions together so you can change your way of thinking! The people in your life give you strength and it can definitely be hard to reach out due to fear of judgement but your closest friends are more empathetic and understanding than you think.

3. Your feeling during the test has ZERO (and i mean ZERO) correlation to how you do.
- Okay here's my story...
Take 1: Just finished rotations, did uworld once and then half my incorrects and was scoring in the 70s. Took nbme 6 and got a 223. Took the real test and failed by a few points :(
Take 2: Used conrad fisher videos, did uworld twice, read MTB2. Did all 3 nbme's and got in the 230's, did UWSA got 242, and reviewed these w/ recent med grads. But still felt nervous since my nbme the first take was so over predictive. Test day: FELT HORRIBLE. I mean i literally cried on one of my breaks. It felt NOTHING like uworld or the nbmes. I marked more than half my answers cause I was so unsure. It was the worst test I had ever taken and with so much riding on a second take, I cant even begin to explain my anxiety. I walked out of there feeling worse than when i found out I failed. It took a month to get my scores back and I was a mess the whole time. It was torture.

Step 2 CK (take 2) score.... 248!!!!!!!!!
Guys, im serious I never in a million years thought I was capable of such a score. I know it's easy to read a lot of posts and be like, wow this person was scoring so high and then felt bad but scored the same they must have psyched themselves out. Or this person is complaining about a score I would have been happy with. I mean i went from both extremes. From the way bottom to a score I would never imagine. From 20 points below my practice tests to 20 points above. I still now dont know how I could have scored that from a test i felt so bad during but I hope that gives insight to others to try their best not to panic.

Sorry that was long, but I am so thankful and grateful and I hope I can help others stay strong the way my family, friends, and random ppl on the internet :p have helped me. Please message me if you need anything at all! And the Best of Luck to Everyone!!!

Charlie Day- "People will tell you to do what makes you happy, but all this has been hard work. And I'm not always happy. I don't think you should just do what makes you happy. Do what makes you great. Do what's uncomfortable and scary and hard but pays off in the long run. Be willing to fail. Let yourself fail. Fail in the way and place where you would be proud to fail. Fail and pick yourself up and fail again. Without that struggle, what is your success anyway? You don't have to be fearless just don't let fear stop you."

Thank you, thank you SO MUCH.
I could not have read this post in a better moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like they just finished releasing scores for Dec. 10th - Dec. 16th. Unfortunately, they're still a week behind.

My prediction:
Dec. 17th - Dec. 23rd scores will be released Jan. 18th.
Dec. 24th - Dec. 30th scores will be released Jan. 25th.
So on so forth.

Looks like they just finished releasing scores for Dec. 10th - Dec. 16th. Unfortunately, they're still a week behind.

My prediction:
Dec. 17th - Dec. 23rd scores will be released Jan. 18th.
Dec. 24th - Dec. 30th scores will be released Jan. 25th.
So on so forth.
New to this. Anyone take CK without having passed any NBME's or UWSA test and passed???

Didn't take any NBMEs or UWSA, mostly because I ran out of time studying. However I did most of Kaplan Qbank and 1/2 of Rx Qbank before my dedicated month of studying, and did almost all of Uworld during my dedicated month. I scored well. One thing I will advise is know your risk factors for diseases and stuff. Those showed up a lot. I don't know if they make up a lot of questions on the NBMEs and UWSA, and maybe doing the self assessments would've clued me in to study for that.

Has anyone received their score yet? I took my exam on 12/21. this is week 4 for me. My Permit disappeared on Monday

So I just had the beast, I felt like I was thinking with my spinal cord, time was killing-missed around 1/2- each block.
Let's see how things go in 3 wks.

Hey guys, just wrote the 2CK on Dec. 23rd. Studied sporadically throughout the year (Reviewing First Aid step 1, as well as full Rx qbank), then 6 weeks dedicated study time averaging 10 hours per day / 7 days per week where I did full pass of MTB2, some of MTB3, and thorough 1x pass of UWorld.

Resources (usefulness rating in brackets):

First Aid step 1 (7.5/10)
USMLE Rx Q bank (7.5/10)
UWorld (9/10)
MTB 2 (full cover-to-cover) (7/10)
MTB 3 (everything except medicine and psych sections) (5/10)

Of particular note is that I actually found the Rx qbank to be quite good. Of course UWorld is the gold standard, but its impossible to cover the full breadth of required knowledge in only 2200 questions. I found the Rx bank, although slightly more straight forward than UWorld overall and with less comprehensive explanations, covered some important concepts and knowledge gaps that were missed in the UWorld qbank. I also did not find there to be significant errors in Rx as people have reported in the Kaplan qbank apparently.

MTB 2 was especially useful I found for obstetrics as well as the cardiology section for a refresher on the nuances of ACS management protocols etc. I used MTB 3 for the non-medicine sections after reading a number of people on these boards having found it useful, but I personally found it to be pretty borderline and it's probably the only resource I would not use if I had to go back and study again.

First Aid step 1 was actually extremely helpful as well for refresher, especially the pharm. I ignored most of the basic science (biochem pathways, basic immuno and pathology sections etc) since it is pretty low yield for the 2CK, but did a full pass of all organ systems sections, as well as all pharm and diseases covered in the basic sciences sections as well. Well worth it if you have the time imo.

Previous Scores:

Step 1: 242
USMLE Rx 2CK qbank (1st pass, random, untimed): 78%
UWorld step 2CK qbank (1st pass, random, untimed): 79%
UWorld 2CK UWSA (3 days out): 258

Exam Experience:

I found the questions overall on the 2ck to be slightly more superficial (less multi-level thinking) but also more ambiguous than UWorld. Most of the questions are stuff you can't just memorize from studying (even less so than step 1) but rather you have to reason through and take an educated guess at it. Thus, basically what everyone says about you not having a clue how you did coming out of the exam is true. I got all of the multi-step questions right (where it locks your answer in before moving to the next part and revealing the answer to the first part), but also know I got a couple easy questions wrong by panicking and changing my answer right as time ran out on the block, immediately regretting changing the answer. Really stupid. When in doubt, just go with your initial hunch. In terms of the time restraints, I found it extremely similar to UWorld. I had no drug ads in the exam, and one three-part research article question that was actually really difficult despite having plenty of time for it. There was also barely any ethics/social science on my exam. Basically I feel like I could have gotten anything from 230-260.

Hopefully will find out 2CK score in the next couple weeks, good luck everyone.

Got final score today. 257. UWSA prediction was basically spot on, very happy with my score!!

Reactions: 3 users
Long time lurker and beneficiary here. Definitely not in the 260s squad, but absolutely grateful given my step 1 score. Just got my score back today after one very long month.

Step 1 - 193
CS - pass on 1st attempt
Step 2 - 236

It is not as high as I hoped for but I am ok. Hopefully this gives someone out there hope.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Score back: 257

UWSA week of test : 254

Average uworld first pass: 70%

Step 1: 252 in 06/15

Test was on Dec 31

Last edited:
please can some 1 tell my chances of getting a 240 on step 2ck ..my exam is on 29th jan.....my NBME scores hsve been in order
NBME 3-233
UWSA 1-240
NBME 6-222
NBME 7-230
NBME 4-240 in order
how should i improve in the next 5 days?

please can some 1 throw some light on my performance .......where do i stand ...just took the uwsa 2 got a 245 ....just cant figure out where i stand!

I took the exam in December, I got a 243 on UWSA (I thought there was only one?) two weeks out, and 250 on the real deal. I think you'll be fine. Just relax for the rest of the day
mine exam today was a complete disaster...may b 60% was educated guess work!! is this a common experreince?

For those of you who have taken the test, would you mind commenting on whether shelf exams correlate with Step 2 CK performance? For Step 1, many students were able to "ballpark" a correlation between UWorld % and a 3-digit Step 1 score (ie, 88% UWorld = >260). Could someone provide a similar ballpark for NBME shelf grades and Step 2? (ie, shelf score = 3-digit score). Thanks.

The best way to coast into a 260+ score on step 2 is to crush all of your shelf exams. If your school does not give clinical shelf exams, be sure to do all of the ones available online as you progress through the year. It is fairly common for people who score highly on shelf exams throughout the year to score highly on the step 2 with limited dedicated effort.
I appreciate your posts throughout this forum. What scaled score do you consider "high" on shelf exams, and could you give an educated guess as to how shelf scores may correlate with 3-digit Step 2 scores (ie, 50 shelf = 220 Step 2).

Last edited:
For those who took the exam, is all the exam content covered in UWorld and the Clinical Mastery Series/NBMEs?

As an IMG, my school did not offer shelf exams, so I'm relying heavily on study content from UWorld and the Clinical Mastery Series/NBMEs. However, are these enough?

I have read MTB 2, which I felt like was a very general overview of topics. I also read Step 2 Secrets, but I have a hard time remembering the various nuances in that book.

For those who took the exam, is all the exam content covered in UWorld and the Clinical Mastery Series/NBMEs?

As an IMG, my school did not offer shelf exams, so I'm relying heavily on study content from UWorld and the Clinical Mastery Series/NBMEs. However, are these enough?

I have read MTB 2, which I felt like was a very general overview of topics. I also read Step 2 Secrets, but I have a hard time remembering the various nuances in that book.
It doesn't cover all topics for sure, but It's enough for a good score. I believe it's more important that you realize no one will know it all. Good luck.

It doesn't cover all topics for sure, but It's enough for a good score. I believe it's more important that you realize no one will know it all. Good luck.

Good point - no one will know it all.

I do hope my study materials are enough to simply pass. UWorld focuses on certain areas more than others, which I assume is because these areas are known to be tested on the actual CK.

Long time lurker and beneficiary here. Definitely not in the 260s squad, but absolutely grateful given my step 1 score. Just got my score back today after one very long month.

Step 1 - 193
CS - pass on 1st attempt
Step 2 - 236

It is not as high as I hoped for but I am ok. Hopefully this gives someone out there hope.
Could you share how you prepped & the resources you used &/ found useful/not as useful for the exam? Thanks!

Didn't take any NBMEs or UWSA, mostly because I ran out of time studying. However I did most of Kaplan Qbank and 1/2 of Rx Qbank before my dedicated month of studying, and did almost all of Uworld during my dedicated month. I scored well. One thing I will advise is know your risk factors for diseases and stuff. Those showed up a lot. I don't know if they make up a lot of questions on the NBMEs and UWSA, and maybe doing the self assessments would've clued me in to study for that.
which did you find most helpful out of rxqbank and kaplan qbank?

For everyone: How much detail do we need to know on how to treat hepatitis?

Last edited:

For everyone: How much detail do we need to know on how to treat hepatitis?

Did anyone get result yesterday? A lot of anxiety but been helpful reading about how most of us attest to the clueless or better still educated guess experience of the test

I found both useful, perhaps RX a bit more. Rx has a lot of buzzword questions, and Kaplan tests a lot of obscure knowledge. But in the end, both tests a lot of the main concepts and doing both qbanks would reinforce those concepts. But whichever you do, always end with Uworld.

I appreciate your posts throughout this forum. What scaled score do you consider "high" on shelf exams, and could you give an educated guess as to how shelf scores may correlate with 3-digit Step 2 scores (ie, 50 shelf = 220 Step 2).

In general, 75 percentile or higher is good. That is roughly where most US schools place the cut-off for clinical honors (at least based on the shelf).

In my experience with students, those who average around 80 scaled across their rotations end up scoring 250+ on step 2.

So I am like a month away from my exam. Currently doing UW and averaging in 70's.

From what I have noticed, people score pretty low on their NBMEs compared to the real deal.
I am hesitant to take an NBME since I am afraid it'd just kill my confidence. Is it better to instead just take UWSA and go for the exam with some confidence?:D

not that great score ..but anyways thanks to almighty i passed atleast 240....after how the exam went i thot i might fail aswell...

Does anyone know Step 2 correlates to Step 1 in terms of how much you're able to increase your score during dedicated study time?

My diagnostic Step 1 was a 490, which was equivalent to a 226. I managed to kick that up to a 251 on the real deal.

My diagnostic Step 2 was a 460, which was equivalent to a 232. I'm not greedy and don't necessarily want an astronomical score but I'd like a 250 or so, so that I don't go down from Step 1

Is it possible to go up about 25 points on Step 2 like it is for Step 1?
I'm also concerned because my performance profile for my diagnostic Step 2 looks a lot worse than the one for my diagnostic Step 1. I've been doing prettt decently on shelf exams throughout the year so I might just be a bit burned out but if anyone can share a personal experience I'd be very appreciative. Thank you!

My step 2 increased my 20+ points , and my comlex 2 jumped 134 points, so it's definitely possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know Step 2 correlates to Step 1 in terms of how much you're able to increase your score during dedicated study time?

My diagnostic Step 1 was a 490, which was equivalent to a 226. I managed to kick that up to a 251 on the real deal.

My diagnostic Step 2 was a 460, which was equivalent to a 232. I'm not greedy and don't necessarily want an astronomical score but I'd like a 250 or so, so that I don't go down from Step 1

Is it possible to go up about 25 points on Step 2 like it is for Step 1?
I'm also concerned because my performance profile for my diagnostic Step 2 looks a lot worse than the one for my diagnostic Step 1. I've been doing prettt decently on shelf exams throughout the year so I might just be a bit burned out but if anyone can share a personal experience I'd be very appreciative. Thank you!
Definitely possible to increase step 2 significantly. Mine went up 27 points. Focus on your 3rd year; aim for 85+ on the shelf exams. Then take some dedicated studying time. You can do it!

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely possible to increase step 2 significantly. Mine went up 27 points. Focus on your 3rd year; aim for 85+ on the shelf exams. Then take some dedicated studying time. You can do it!

You scored very high on your step 2CK. May I ask you what was your UW first pass average?

You scored very high on your step 2CK. May I ask you what was your UW first pass average?
My first pass was during 3rd year rotations. Averaged low 70s. During my dedicated study period, I reset it and was averaging close to 90. In between I was doing Kaplan (right about 70%) and USMLE Rx (high 80s).

OME+MTB2+UWORLD+MTB videos w/ Fischer+Fischer qbank+all shelf NBME’s and actual NBME’s+UW assessments=kick ass

this is my plan for CK, do you guys think its a solid plan?

My first pass was during 3rd year rotations. Averaged low 70s. During my dedicated study period, I reset it and was averaging close to 90. In between I was doing Kaplan (right about 70%) and USMLE Rx (high 80s).

How did you like USMLE Rx? I used it quite a bit for step 1 and really liked it was wondering how quality compares for step 2?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How did you like USMLE Rx? I used it quite a bit for step 1 and really liked it was wondering how quality compares for step 2?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I liked it. It was super fast and very buzzword heavy; but they focused on a lot of the same important concepts, and just the pure repetition between the Kaplan, Rx, and Uworld really helped solidify all the important concepts and guidelines.

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard Rx is riddled with alot of mistakes? Kaplan explanations are very dated and it worries me. often you'll find it says last checked 2012 and can even refer to DSM IV at times. it seems like uworld is the only reliable resource

Last edited:
Ive got my CK exam in a week, I am confused especially because everyone says UWSA is predictive and that NBME 7 is hard. Here are my scores so far

NBME6 (8 weeks out )- 230
COMP exam which our school makes us take at prometric ( 6 weeks out)- 230
UWSA1 ( 2 weeks out)- 220.... I was shocked, found it extremely difficult
NBME 7 and NBME 4 same day ( 1 week out)- 250 on NBME 7 and 257 on NBME 4

Fred free 150 ( 1 day out) - We'll see....

And I peaking at the right time or is this just a fluke? Because honestly to me the NBME's are a joke, and UWSA is insanely difficult.

Ive got my CK exam in a week, I am confused especially because everyone says UWSA is predictive and that NBME 7 is hard. Here are my scores so far

NBME6 (8 weeks out )- 230
COMP exam which our school makes us take at prometric ( 6 weeks out)- 230
UWSA1 ( 2 weeks out)- 220.... I was shocked, found it extremely difficult
NBME 7 and NBME 4 same day ( 1 week out)- 250 on NBME 7 and 257 on NBME 4

Fred free 150 ( 1 day out) - We'll see....

And I peaking at the right time or is this just a fluke? Because honestly to me the NBME's are a joke, and UWSA is insanely difficult.

It is kinda weird since all the people who report ( we never know about the 99% who don't post anything) their nbmes and uwsa usually have high UWSA and a low NBME7. I wouldn't worry. You scored high on two nbmes back to back. I'd say thats more reliable than UWSA from 2 wks back. And there is rarely someone who had a score lower than his NBME7. Normally it underpredicts by 0-15 points. You could do uwsa2 but if it has no consequence for you ( delaying test etc) don't take it. I would rather focus on some weaknesses or wrong uworld qs etc.