USMLE USMLE - Official 2016 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trogdor_The_Burninator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

With 2016 around the corner, I thought it would be a good time to start this thread and continue the 2015 thread into the new year!

Similar threads from the past have been extremely helpful to me (and I'm sure) and many others.

Good luck to everyone taking Step 2 CK in 2016!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a time till you should expect ur result? my scheduling permit disappeared so i was hoping my result wud come out today!

I was wondering the same thing :/ in theory I think they have until the end of the day to release them. I've heard of one person that got their scores around 5pm, but I think that's rare. IDK if they have any sort of schedule to release scores of if it's just random.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
took my exam 9/26 in the afternoon. They said that it should be 3 Wednesdays after you exam. I am nervous because it is already the 4th Wednesday. My friend took hers last 9/22 and already got her score last week.

took my exam 9/26 in the afternoon. They said that it should be 3 Wednesdays after you exam. I am nervous because it is already the 4th Wednesday. My friend took hers last 9/22 and already got her score last week.

I took mine on 9/26 too. It's supposed to be the 4th Wednesday if you take it on a Monday or Tuesday, from what I've read. So today is the day.

Rataul said:
i have lost the count the number of times i have refreshed the page

I keep refreshing the page too, I feel sick lol

I took mine on 9/26 too. It's supposed to be the 4th Wednesday if you take it on a Monday or Tuesday, from what I've read. So today is the day.

I keep refreshing the page too, I feel sick lol
I am really nervous right now!! Does this wait correlate with your score in any way? because my friend got 260s and already got her score 3 wednesdays after her exam :( And I got my Step 1 score 3 wednesdays after my exam as well. :(

I am really nervous right now!! Does this wait correlate with you score in any way? because my friend got 260s and already got her score 3 wednesdays after her exam :(

I don't know, I'm trying to rationalize it too haha, but I don't think there's any correlation. I hope not lol
My step 1 also was released 3 weeks after my exam, but I took it on a Friday, so I think it has more to do with the day you take it, and not the score itself.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know, I'm trying to rationalize it too haha, but I don't think there's any correlation. I hope not lol
My step 1 also was released 3 weeks after my exam, but I took it on a Friday, so I think it has more to do with the day you take it, and not the score itself.
took my step 1 on a thursday. Damn!! this is stressful!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Brief summary of score report day: I got a score report available email at 9:37 AM central time saying score report will be available at 11 EST (10 AM central). And report was available right on the clock. (so 23 minutes notice)
Just wanted to throw some of my info/stats out there for below average SDNers like myself.

Background:
I didn't know how to study in medical school so I did really bad on standardized exams like shelves and step 1.
Step 1 was <210, 3rd year shelves were in the high 60s- low 70s...
I felt like I tried to cover too much materials in the step 1 that I actually covered myself too thin and didn't do enough questions.
For the shelves, I feel like I should have done more than just uworld and pretest.

For step 2, I just went with 3 things during dedicated period of 6 weeks: FA 9th edition, onlinemeded, uworld2x.
I watched onlinemeded video and did corresponding uworld sub section (tutor, untimed) for the 1st run of uworld, making notes on FA.
Then did last 1x in the last 2 weeks of prep, 200-240 qs/day (not tutor, timed), which I feel like helped me to build endurance and speed.

UWSA1 (2 weeks before exam): 190 - I was distracted for personal reason at that time but still it was shocking
NBME 6 (2 weeks before): 212
NBME 7 (3 days before): 234
Real deal: 23X

The only thing I feel like that could have pushed me to obtain higher score is that I should have tried harder during 3rd year clerkships. I should have taken shelves like mini-step 2 and should have done all the NBME subjects tests. I am pretty sure that would have pushed my score to much higher score. In addition, I would make sure to have strong foundation in preventative medicine guidelines/biostats. Good luck to future step 2 takers.

Reactions: 5 users
I passed!!! honestly a poor score, but I'm thankful that I didn't fail. Going to definitely use this experience to work on my weaknesses moving forward. Humbled by this exam. God is good.

Mine is in as well!
257. Extremely grateful to God! IMG. 10 weeks of study. Last 4 weeks of study sandwiched within an intense masters in the States. Used Kaplan LN, MTB2 and UWorld. Did each once.
NBME 7 242
UWSA: 270
Free questions: abt 88%
Exam experience: super tough. I had the what the hell just happened moment after the 2nd block.

Brief summary of score report day: I got a score report available email at 9:37 AM central time saying score report will be available at 11 EST (10 AM central). And report was available right on the clock. (so 23 minutes notice)
Just wanted to throw some of my info/stats out there for below average SDNers like myself.

Background:
I didn't know how to study in medical school so I did really bad on standardized exams like shelves and step 1.
Step 1 was <210, 3rd year shelves were in the high 60s- low 70s...
I felt like I tried to cover too much materials in the step 1 that I actually covered myself too thin and didn't do enough questions.
For the shelves, I feel like I should have done more than just uworld and pretest.

For step 2, I just went with 3 things during dedicated period of 6 weeks: FA 9th edition, onlinemeded, uworld2x.
I watched onlinemeded video and did corresponding uworld sub section (tutor, untimed) for the 1st run of uworld, making notes on FA.
Then did last 1x in the last 2 weeks of prep, 200-240 qs/day (not tutor, timed), which I feel like helped me to build endurance and speed.

UWSA1 (2 weeks before exam): 190 - I was distracted for personal reason at that time but still it was shocking
NBME 6 (2 weeks before): 212
NBME 7 (3 days before): 234
Real deal: 23X

The only thing I feel like that could have pushed me to obtain higher score is that I should have tried harder during 3rd year clerkships. I should have taken shelves like mini-step 2 and should have done all the NBME subjects tests. I am pretty sure that would have pushed my score to much higher score. In addition, I would make sure to have strong foundation in preventative medicine guidelines/biostats. Good luck to future step 2 takers.

Don't be that hard with yourself!!! You did it! You are living the dream that soo many people can't even imagine! enjoy!!!!!

O I found out today that I passed; however I didn't do as well as I hoped. I was messing around on the nbme site and it allowed me to progress as far as paying for the registration fee again. Is this a fluke or can other people do this too.

Congrats! How was your Step 1 and what resources did you use for dedicated? UW %? All that jazz ;)

Step 1 was 258 so I was very close to the same percentile wise. I used step up to medicine, FA for step 2 and UW. Wouldn't recommend Step Up and I only used it because I was already very familiar with the book from my clerkships. I thought FA was very useful and hit some high yield info however it did not cover everything that you needed to know. Studied about 1 month on top of a light clinical clerkship.

I did UW during my clerkships so technically I did a second pass of UW to prep with ~83% correct. If I had to make a rec on how to prepare I would say going through first aid and then taking good UW notes and reviewing them closely would be a good method.

Hey guys, think I'm kinda late to the game. Congrats to everyone that got their scores back today! I got my score back as well and I scored 270+!!!! Pretty excited about this score, but as I'm in the middle of getting flooded with rejections right now, not sure how this score is going to help me get more invites (late October already u know?).
ANYWAYS I'll be happy to share more experiences if you guys are interested, just lmk.

I don't know if I should apply or not for this year match. I am an IMG and I will get my certification in 2 weeks....Should I do it? Or it is just a waste of money and time?

I don't know if I should apply or not for this year match. I am an IMG and I will get my certification in 2 weeks....Should I do it? Or it is just a waste of money and time?
I don't think you can. September 15 was the deadline to apply for the upcoming match of March 2017

Sent from my A0001 using SDN mobile

Hey guys, think I'm kinda late to the game. Congrats to everyone that got their scores back today! I got my score back as well and I scored 270+!!!! Pretty excited about this score, but as I'm in the middle of getting flooded with rejections right now, not sure how this score is going to help me get more invites (late October already u know?).
ANYWAYS I'll be happy to share more experiences if you guys are interested, just lmk.
Wow congratulations. We would live to hear your experience and stats/percentages prior to ck

I don't think you can. September 15 was the deadline to apply for the upcoming match of March 2017

Sept 15th is actually the start date. It is highly desirable to get it on this date because if you don't every other application will be looked at first. However, applying right would likely be a waste of time. It's too late.

Congrats on getting back your score! Did any of you had an issue with the time? I did my exam 2 weeks ago and ran out of time on every SINGLE block and I am freaking out. Just trying to see if this is common for step 2 or is it just me :(

Congrats on getting back your score! Did any of you had an issue with the time? I did my exam 2 weeks ago and ran out of time on every SINGLE block and I am freaking out. Just trying to see if this is common for step 2 or is it just me :(

Time crunches on step 2 are pretty common. Were you able to finish every section?

Time crunches on step 2 are pretty common. Were you able to finish every section?
I didn't leave any question blank but in every block in the last 10 questions I had like 7 minutes left. So there were Qs that I just read the last sentence and the choices and picked something :( I know this happened a lot when blocks were 46 question each and I know many people who got 250+ despite running out of time back then but I am wondering if this is still the case when blocks are 40 questions.

Why is that? Just longer stems or more critical thinking?
For me both. Looking back I feel like longer and harder questions made me even overthink on easier ones!
Using CMS helps a lot with the critical thinking part (I only had time to do 3 of them) Btw I was finishing UW blocks in 50-52 minutes.

Thank you guys!
I'm very happy as well to get my 270+ and I'm gonna share a little about my experience.:soexcited:

I'm an AMG at one of the top US medical schools. My school has a very competitive and rigorous third year training so in order to get honors, we have to study very very hard (do not miss 3rd year at all).
My step 1 score was 250+

I think my biggest help was my clerkship in 3rd year. I learned a lot from my 3rd year as well as my 4th year rotations (sub-I in crit care, cards, and GI before taking my step 2 CK). Before every shelf, I would do all the related Uworld questions and read either case file, blueprints, step up to medicine, or pastanas (or multiple sources) for each subject. I usually score in the 80's-90's in every shelf, and I believe that helped me a lot.

I had about 3 and a half weeks of dedicated study time for my step 2CK. I read first aid once to get an overview. This took me about 3-4 days, which in retrospect probably wasn't the smartest thing to start with first since first aid was very very detailed and there was no way I was gonna remember every detail. But I do suggest reading a broad resource before doing questions to refresh your mind on all the topics that is a little bit rusty, I would recommend starting with Master the Boards first, which was a very easy read and gave me a good overview.

After reading First Aid, I started to tackle Uworld (this would be my second pass already as I have finished all the questions once during my 3rd year). As I went through the questions, I would take detailed notes in my notebooks. I did about 6 blocks a day, which took me about a week and a half to finish all the questions.

Starting third week after finishing First Aid and Uworld, I read Master the Boards. This was an easy read and took me about two days. Then I started doing NBME questions. I did all the NBME's available. I ranged from high 260's to mid 270's. I don't remember all the numbers, but I think I got 274 on NBME 6 and 272 on NBME4. I also did UWSA, which I got the lowest score of 250.

At the end of my third week, after finishing all the NBME and UWorld questions once, I went back and did the wrong questions in UWorld.

About 3 days before the test, I read USMLE step 2 secrets (took me 1 day) and the notes (5 note books) I took from UWorld questions with their charts and explanations, then I took the test!

I definitely feel like I studied more than a lot of my classmates (most use 2 weeks and use less resources), but I think its worth it!

Hope it helped!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Thank you guys!
I'm very happy as well to get my 270+ and I'm gonna share a little about my experience.:soexcited:

I'm an AMG at one of the top US medical schools. My school has a very competitive and rigorous third year training so in order to get honors, we have to study very very hard (do not miss 3rd year at all).
My step 1 score was 250+

I think my biggest help was my clerkship in 3rd year. I learned a lot from my 3rd year as well as my 4th year rotations (sub-I in crit care, cards, and GI before taking my step 2 CK). Before every shelf, I would do all the related Uworld questions and read either case file, blueprints, step up to medicine, or pastanas (or multiple sources) for each subject. I usually score in the 80's-90's in every shelf, and I believe that helped me a lot.

I had about 3 and a half weeks of dedicated study time for my step 2CK. I read first aid once to get an overview. This took me about 3-4 days, which in retrospect probably wasn't the smartest thing to start with first since first aid was very very detailed and there was no way I was gonna remember every detail. But I do suggest reading a broad resource before doing questions to refresh your mind on all the topics that is a little bit rusty, I would recommend starting with Master the Boards first, which was a very easy read and gave me a good overview.

After reading First Aid, I started to tackle Uworld (this would be my second pass already as I have finished all the questions once during my 3rd year). As I went through the questions, I would take detailed notes in my notebooks (insert picture on the bottom). I did about 6 blocks a day, which took me about a week and a half to finish all the questions.

Starting third week after finishing First Aid and Uworld, I read Master the Boards. This was an easy read and took me about two days. Then I started doing NBME questions. I did all the NBME's available. I ranged from high 260's to mid 270's. I don't remember all the numbers, but I think I got 274 on NBME 6 and 272 on NBME4. I also did UWSA, which I got the lowest score of 250.

At the end of my third week, after finishing all the NBME and UWorld questions once, I went back and did the wrong questions in UWorld.

About 3 days before the test, I read USMLE step 2 secrets (took me 1 day) and the notes (5 note books) I took from UWorld questions with their charts and explanations, then I took the test!

I definitely feel like I studied more than a lot of my classmates (most use 2 weeks and use less resources), but I think its worth it!

Hope it helped!

The notes I took from UWORLD
2cp6h03.jpg

Congratulations for such an awesome score! :)
Thanks a lot for your detailed write up! Was very informative.
How useful did you find FA and Usmle step 2 secrets in your prep in comparison to MTB?

Your notes look so cool and extensive. I wonder if you made all these notes during your dedicated period of time because it looks so time consuming?

Congratulations and thanks for the detailed post down below. What was your first pass UWorld %?

Sept 15th is actually the start date. It is highly desirable to get it on this date because if you don't every other application will be looked at first. However, applying right would likely be a waste of time. It's too late.

Thank you so much for your answers.

So, I would like to consult with people at the forum about my options for next year.

I am an IMG, graduated 1 year ago. Step 1; 205 passed first time, Step 2 CK: 235 passed first time, Step 2 CS passed first time. I did some US rotations in Harvard and I got honors. I have 5 LOR from 5 different Harvard doctors 2 from MI, 2 from surgery and 1 from OB/GYN, I'm doing research at MGH, I have 5 publications. So, I would like to know if it is possible to match in internal medicine or OB/GYN?
I am so sad because of my step 1, I think when I took it I didn't trust my self and now I screwed myself with that....
What should I do to improve that horrible step 1? When I took it I was working really hard at my lab so I don't know if explaining that would help or just would be seen as a bad excuse.

Your opinion and advice would be so much appreciated!!! Thanks!

Thank you guys!

My step 1 score was 250+

After reading First Aid, I started to tackle Uworld (this would be my second pass already as I have finished all the questions once during my 3rd year). As I went through the questions, I would take detailed notes in my notebooks (insert picture on the bottom). I did about 6 blocks a day, which took me about a week and a half to finish all the questions.

Hope it helped!

The notes I took from UWORLD
2cp6h03.jpg

Pretty close to ideal study schedule imo, only thing I would've done differently is stick to one book source and repeat multiple times since I do so much better with repetition.

Congrats on the score!

So, I would like to consult with people at the forum about my options for next year.

I am an IMG, graduated 1 year ago. Step 1; 205 passed first time, Step 2 CK: 235 passed first time, Step 2 CS passed first time. I did some US rotations in Harvard and I got honors. I have 5 LOR from 5 different Harvard doctors 2 from MI, 2 from surgery and 1 from OB/GYN, I'm doing research at MGH, I have 5 publications. So, I would like to know if it is possible to match in internal medicine or OB/GYN?
I am so sad because of my step 1, I think when I took it I didn't trust my self and now I screwed myself with that....
What should I do to improve that horrible step 1? When I took it I was working really hard at my lab so I don't know if explaining that would help or just would be seen as a bad excuse.

I wish I could give you good advice but I don't know much about IMGs. It sounds like you are a dedicated student though and deserve a chance somewhere for sure!

If you did rotations here you are ahead of many other IMGs. But unfortunately with a low step 1 you will be filtered out from many programs and they won't see your entire application to see how awesome it is. Are you a recent graduate (Less than 5 and ideally even less than 3)?

You will need to use your connections from your rotations and research very wisely. If they know you really well and are willing to help you ask to see if they would contact programs for you. Try getting rotations at programs you are interested in and that can score you an interview. Once you are at the door (in the interview!) scores matter less. Then you have a chance to really show yourself.

I was busy so i didn't do well in my exam is not a good explanation btw. If you have time to study try doing Step 3. If you are an IMG on visa, passing step 3 will make you eligible for both J1 and H1 visa (=more programs) If you are not on visa a good score on step 3 will show that you found what was wrong with your study plan and fixed it (205 to 235 and then 250!)

There is a topic in SDN called "ask a program director" or something like that. I suggest asking your questions there as well.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I am an IMG who scored 233 in Step 1 back in August. I took up UW the very next day and scored 65% timed and random and 78% average on second pass timed and random. My recent UWSA was a 235 and my exam is in 4 days given my eligibility is ending by the end of this month. I just feel heavily unprepared even though I'm internalizing algorithms and reading step 2 secrets side by side as last week dedicated study strategy. The information seems to be all over the place for me. I was aiming for a 240+ but I feel I won't even get that. Any tips for the last 4 days? My gynae and psych is especially weak.

Last edited:
Step 1: 257
-Shelf averages = high 70s to high 80s
-6 weeks overall study time (off and on, I got distracted by wedding planning :p)
-Used UWorld mostly; I flipped through a few pages of First Aid Step 2 CK and brushed up on OBGYN in Step 2 Secrets the night before my exam
-I used UW throughout 3rd year to study for shelf exams and also usually took 2 of the NBME Clinical Mastery Series exams as practice for each clerkship, but only got through about 400 IM questions before my shelf (IM was my last clerkship of 3rd year) and it showed in my shelf score, yikes
-Did one complete pass of UW during my study period with average 78% at the end; did 2-3 blocks per day , went through all answer explanations, and made Anki cards for probably about 75% of questions
-UWSA (2 weeks before) = 242

Actual Step 2 CK: 260

I'm usually anxious before big test days, so I didn't get much sleep (but it wasn't as bad as the night before my Step 1 when my A/C went out in the middle of June in Texas!) My biggest piece of advice for future test takers is try to get into a good sleep pattern at least 1-2 weeks before your exam. I was going to bed around 1-2 am during my dedicated period for no real reason (watching Netflix or browsing Reddit) and I constantly felt tired. On exam day, adrenaline carried me through most of the exam and I took a 4-5 minute Gatorade/snack break after every block, but I was so so so tired by the last 2 blocks that I was answering questions on autopilot. People aren't joking when they say that half of doing well on these tests is pure endurance. I think the other big difference is that I took Step 1 in the afternoon (12pm start time) versus Step 2 CK in the morning (8am start time) and I'm generally not a morning person. That said, I never ran out of time on blocks and almost always had time to go back through and review my answers. However, I did feel crunched for time on a few, especially the one that had a long abstract with related questions, and I left those for the end on that particular block.

UW is seriously all you need. I didn't even bother with the NBME self-assessments for CK, whereas I did almost all of them for Step 1. Echoing most other people's experiences, UWSA underpredicted me by almost 20 points, but it was a good kick in the butt to keep studying and it was nice to have more questions/answers to go over. I definitely feel there is a generous curve on CK; I had borderline performance in a few areas, including health maintenance, reproductive, and pregnancy, and no starred areas this time versus Step 1 and still did very well. Review your risk factors and be able to pick out the most important one for different diseases, I was not prepared for those. Hope this helps!

Why is there so much Step 1 material in the UWorld questions for this exam? Feel like I am having to relearn far too much of the material I was already tested on a year ago

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would say the majority, if not 75 percent of my questions on Step 2 CK were approximately three times (3x!) as long as an NBME.

Did anyone else have that experience?

For those of us that are slow, it is a big impediment to getting prepared for this exam. To be honest, the lack of relevant information that you are given in some of the vignettes is like an intellectual insult.

How does Step 1 compare to Step 2 in terms of content?

Overall step 1 content is more dense than CK but Step 1 is more predictable in term of content .. You know what needs to be done from day one and the syllabus is more clear and direct . Ck is all over and you will find yourself changing up plans or doubting your current plan .

Hey guys! I have just started preparing for CK and I have been hearing people talking about drug ads and abstracts on their exam and that majority of people find it difficult to solve them. What exactly are they and how do we prepare for them?
Thanks in advance!!