USMLE USMLE - Official 2016 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trogdor_The_Burninator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

With 2016 around the corner, I thought it would be a good time to start this thread and continue the 2015 thread into the new year!

Similar threads from the past have been extremely helpful to me (and I'm sure) and many others.

Good luck to everyone taking Step 2 CK in 2016!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my score back (took the test on 9/16). My permit disappeared this Monday (and I'm an IMG using ECFMG's IWA and OASIS). I think this simply happens either when you 1) go beyond your eligibility period or 2) will receive your grade (the same thing happened for my Step 1). I have no idea if it has any relationship to either a pass or a fail, but it definitely disappears before you receive your grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my report back (took it on 9/19), and I exceeded my goal!

For studying I did UWorld 2x (once with clerkships, once in the month before the test). My average on the second pass was 70s-low 80s. I also used DIT for Step 2 (less helpful than the step 1 version, but I like the format), MTB step 2 ck, and step 2 secrets in the month before.

NBME 7 - 242 (3-4 days out)
NBME 6 - 267 (Day before...I know)
Real Deal - 260

I felt the actual test for me was between the difficulty of NBME 6 & 7, and my score reflects that I guess. Overall, I'm very happy though, as I just wanted to be above average for radiology, which I did above and beyond.

Passed. 270. Not sure how that happened.

NBME 4 (3 weeks) 208
NBME 6 (2 weeks) 240
UWSA (1 week) 252

Reactions: 2 users
I took my test on 9/16, and I felt like it was extremely difficult -- way harder than any of the practice tests or UWorld questions. Buuut, today I found out I passed and actually got a score I'm very happy with! It turned out to be better than any of my practice scores, in fact. I hope that gives some people who are waiting a little bit of optimism. :)

259! So damn happy right now.

Nbme 7: 215 -6 weeks out
Nbme 4: 235 - 2 weeks out
Did 2 passes of UWorld (once during the year, once during dedicated) - 77% on second pass

Can't even begin to explain how valuable Uworld is. I never was a questions person (alwas studied by using review books), but I changed it up for my last clerkship (Peds) and for step 2 and my scores shot way up. I'm now a believer in that method lol

Reactions: 2 users

4 weeks of study @~8 hrs per day. Only got through 90% of Uworld in tutor mode (I'm a slow reader and went through question explanations VERY thoroughly). Used absolutely no other resources. Felt "meh" coming out of the exam (took it 9.16). For reference, 239 step 1 and I am NOT AOA but >50%ile at top 40 school.

My advice? Uworld and nothing else. Didn't even take a practice exam. My overall %correct was ~71-72% (higher closer to test day). The content that you need for test day is in the uworld questions and explanations.

Timing is less of an issue now that NBME got the good sense to drop to 40 questions per block. That definitely helped out so don't fret for all you slow readers out there. Having good knowledge from the Uworld explanations is the single biggest thing to help save yourself time. That gives you a little more time to think about the "curveballs" that will inevitably come your way

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I think ur permit disappeared because ur eligibility period expired... u should get it on the 26th if the pattern holds true
Yea that's exactly what happened. Thank you.
BTW why do you say 26th? isn't it 3rd Wednesday after the test if the test is taken on a Thursday (Sept 29th)? I was expecting to get it on the 19th.

What were your stats like if you don't mind me asking?

After seeing some of your posts, I wouldn't be obsessive about practice NBMEs. Have you finished all of Uworld yet? Uworld explanations have all you need. Sometimes an answer choice of one question can be the basis of an actual step 2 question. Uworld gets updated in real time as test takers give feedback to those people so it's the closest representation of the actual exam. Especially with some of the new research abstract or drug ad questions. There is also lots of built in redundancy in Uworld so you will see the same stuff pop up in new ways (this is deliberate and awesome prep). If you are consistently getting in the 60-70% range closer to your test date (assuming 1st pass) you should more than comfortably pass. If you're doing that, then just ignore the old NBME exams and scores

Uworld makes your scores improve because it actually delivers information to fill in your knowledge gaps. Not doing NBMEs

Reactions: 1 user
After seeing some of your posts, I wouldn't be obsessive about practice NBMEs. Have you finished all of Uworld yet? Uworld explanations have all you need. Sometimes an answer choice of one question can be the basis of an actual step 2 question. Uworld gets updated in real time as test takers give feedback to those people so it's the closest representation of the actual exam. Especially with some of the new research abstract or drug ad questions. There is also lots of built in redundancy in Uworld so you will see the same stuff pop up in new ways (this is deliberate and awesome prep). If you are consistently getting in the 60-70% range closer to your test date (assuming 1st pass) you should more than comfortably pass. If you're doing that, then just ignore the old NBME exams and scores

Uworld makes your scores improve because it actually delivers information to fill in your knowledge gaps. Not doing NBMEs

Hey, thanks for the response. I took my exam today and I wish I did listen to what SDNers said about this exam. UW really is all you need. Knowing it cold will easily get you that 240+. May need to substitute another source for Psych, but the concepts all came back over and over.

Some of them did have the answer that's UW gave in the question and wanted the next step. "After removing g weapons, what's the next step in mgmt?"

Coincidentally, the IIH questions which I posted on the previous page from Kaplan showed up verbatim.

Hey, thanks for the response. I took my exam today and I wish I did listen to what SDNers said about this exam. UW really is all you need. Knowing it cold will easily get you that 240+. May need to substitute another source for Psych, but the concepts all came back over and over.

Some of them did have the answer that's UW gave in the question and wanted the next step. "After removing g weapons, what's the next step in mgmt?"

Coincidentally, the IIH questions which I posted on the previous page from Kaplan showed up verbatim.

What is IIH questions?

Quick question: is there a perfect time to schedule CK if you don't want residencies to get your score for interviews (assuming its bad) but at the same time you can choose to release it if it's something that will help you? Sorry if the question doesn't make sense, can't think of how else to ask it.

Hi! Congrats on your score! I wanted your thoughts on something. I'm a nervous test taker and unfortunately didn't pass step 2ck (horrible score). I'm set to take it on oct 19. My uworld qbank overall correct is 73%. I took the UWSA today and got a 214 (overall correct 63%). Based on your experience, do you think that's enough to pass? I'm looking for a 220. Thanks for any advice.

73% on UW on a first pass is pretty solid. You should have no problem getting a 220 on CK.

UWSA also historically underpredicts by 10-15.

I took the test on Sep 29. Should I expect my score this Wednesday?

I think so. From what I've read scores usually come out on the 3rd Wed for people who took the test on a Wed/Thu/Fri and on the 4th Wed for people who took it Mon/Tue. I'm also expecting mine this week, took it on Sep 26. Good luck!

I think my permit disappeared on monday (it's definitely not there now).. i really hope i passed!!! i saw a few instances online where people said their permit disappeared but failed (they didn't specify if that was due to eligibility period expiring)

oh and i took mine on 9/28

My permit disappeared a few days after my test because my eligibility period expired :( so I can't count on that trick to guess if I passed or not. Not long to wait now though.

Hello everyone,

Good luck to everyone waiting on their results today. I took my exam on 9/30 and still haven't gotten an email yet. Has anyone heard anything yet? All the best everyone. Cheers.

Hello everyone,

Good luck to everyone waiting on their results today. I took my exam on 9/30 and still haven't gotten an email yet. Has anyone heard anything yet? All the best everyone. Cheers.

Good luck to you too, and everyone getting results today!
No emails yet :( I remember I got my step 1 results pretty early, around 9am EST, but this time nothing yet. Hope it doesn't take too long.

Has anyone received today's scores yet? Took exam on 9/27 and hoping to receive score today. Heart rate 300bpm and gets even higher with any beep of my phone.

Has anyone received today's scores yet? Took exam on 9/27 and hoping to receive score today. Heart rate 300bpm and gets even higher with any beep of my phone.

:rofl:
Heart rate is also around 300 here haha.
Nothing yet :( I can already tell I'll get nothing done today before these scores are released. Hope they're not delayed for any reason, I can't take another week of this!

Good luck to you too, and everyone getting results today!
No emails yet :( I remember I got my step 1 results pretty early, around 9am EST, but this time nothing yet. Hope it doesn't take too long.
Thanks! Still haven't seen anything yet. T
Has anyone got their result yet!! I am freaking out!!!
i have checked my email numerous times now, still nothing.