This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drsaperstein

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Both are good schools, can't go wrong. I know a few MS2 students at Jefferson who do really like it, and Philly is a cool city with a lot of urban revitalization going on additionally.

If you'd like to practice in the northeast, I'd probably go with Jefferson. That's not to say you cant match in that region from USF but it would likely be an easier path considering your rotations will be in philly, PA, and NJ hospitals for the most part.

100k is a ton of money though.. Personally, I would go to USF because I'd love to live/practice in Florida, but that's just me.

Congratulations though! You can't go wrong either way.

I'm in the same boat with Jefferson and one of my state schools that is ranked similarly to yours. Ideally I'd want to stay on the west coast for residency, but there may be a chance that I'll have to try to match on the East Coast for family later. That was my only hesitation with choosing my state school outright, but I just can't justify the extra $80-100K in loans that Jefferson would cost. I loved the school, but I don't think it's worth it for the potential boost for residency location. I'd go with USF and do away rotations at the programs you want to match.

Thank you for your advice! I'm still a little concerned that it felt like everyone I met at my interview day at USF was sort of lukewarm toward the school...I'm wondering if the overall happiness/atmosphere at Jefferson would result in better training for that reason.
I think the big thing would be why they feel that way. If it's just that they would have rather gone somewhere else, that's different than if they feel like the curriculum isn't preparing them, etc. Maybe you just caught them on a bad day? Who knows. There are a lot of things that could explain that, but I would maybe reach out to a student and make sure it isn't due to feeling like they'll be at a disadvantage come boards, match, etc.