USF MMS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay I have a question for everyone here. Would you choose the LECOM Masters program over this? I have recently become more interested in osteopathic medicine, and think it's a pretty sweet deal that if you do well in their program you get a guarenteed interview to their medical school.
The reason I would choose USF is because I'm from Florida. I think if you want to go the DO route, you should do LECOM for sure!

Members don't see this ad.

The reason I would choose USF is because I'm from Florida. I think if you want to go the DO route, you should do LECOM for sure!
I was accepted to the LECOM Master in Medical Sciences program which is located in Bradenton, FL. They offer a guaranteed interview for the D.O. school to those who maintain a 3.2 or above GPA in their masters program. The classes start in June, so I don't have much time to consider USF (if they even accept me before LECOM classes start). I just officially applied to USF today but heard they tend to make most decisions in June.

There seems to be more pros to the LECOM program when compared to USF. However, I will have to accept the fact that I will more than likely end up in osteopathic medicine if I proceed with the LECOM MS program. Also, I would start LECOM med school Fall 2018 should I choose to do their masters program. However if I was accepted and attended USF the soonest I could get into a med school would be Fall 2019 because applications wouldn't even have my grad school transcripts from the first semester by the time my app would have to be in. Do you think any MD schools would consider me if I completed the LECOM MS in Medical Sciences program with a high GPA and got a 508+ on the MCAT? Does anyone have any thoughts on the two options?

Okay I have a question for everyone here. Would you choose the LECOM Masters program over this? I have recently become more interested in osteopathic medicine, and think it's a pretty sweet deal that if you do well in their program you get a guarenteed interview to their medical school.

The tuition is a little higher (assuming you have FL residency) at 20K.

I'd agree it would be nice to have a guaranteed DO II, especially if you are considering applying to LECOM anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it is a little more expensive and not as well known or "prestige" as USF but it seems like a safer choice overall, especially considering I haven't even taken the MCAT yet. I actually just came up with a pretty complex game plan, but I need to put more thought into the possible consequences... it may not be the best idea. I'm taking the MCAT June 30th (third week into LECOMs MS program - should be fun) and I receive that score back on August 1st. If I get a 508 or higher on the MCAT, and I am accepted to the USF program; I think I might leave LECOM and attend USF. This way I can still be competitive enough for LECOM DO school (although they may frown upon me leaving their MS program) and also unlock possibilities for interviews at some MD schools. This would be a pretty hard plan to execute though, and a waste of money all for the sake of trying to get into an MD school. I have been doing more and more research about osteopathic medicine to learn if it aligns with my taste.

*Update: I will not even attempt that plan. I rescheduled my MCAT for June 1st and will attend LECOM. I weighed out the pros and cons and decided it was best for me and my future. Best of luck to all the USF applicants!

Sounds like a sound plan. Best of luck!

Just completed everything, hope I get in.

Last edited:
App complete 4/27
Accepted 5/3 via email

cGPA ~3.3
sGPA ~3.1
MCAT 514

Reactions: 1 user
Just got accepted into this program! Does anyone know if there's a FaceBook group for this upcoming class?

Hey everyone! I was accepted on 5/3 via email and my app was complete on 4/21. I'm looking forward to starting this program!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I was accepted into the IMS program and am looking for places around Seminole Heights. Anyone hear of other good neighborhoods to check out?

Hey everyone! I was accepted on 5/3 via email and my app was complete on 4/21. I'm looking forward to starting this program!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Do you mind sharing your stats?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I was accepted into the IMS program and am looking for places around Seminole Heights. Anyone hear of other good neighborhoods to check out?

Depends how far you mind living away from USF Health. Seminole Heights is about 15min away, so within that range there so many places to check out. I've heard Tampa Palms is a nice neighborhood.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we have any idea how full the class is at this point?

Thanks.

No way to actually know without emailing admissions. I believe they wait until June for the bulk of the acceptances (I think it said that somewhere on the website).

I'd check out Tampa Palms. Most apartments are within 8-12 minutes of campus and the rent is reasonable.

I received an acceptance email this morning! I am looking forward to meeting everyone and getting started!

Best of luck!

Applied: 05/05/17
sGPA: 3.6
cGPA: 3.56
MCAT: 500
Honors, Research, Work Experience etc.

I just got in!! I'm soooo excited!! Good luck everyone who's awaiting decisions :)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm currently in the final semester of this program and would love to provide insight to whomever desires it. Feel free to pm me or reply to this thread in case others have similar questions.

Does anyone know more information about the Women's Health track? Or anyone who has completed it previously? I would like some insight on the track as I am considering applying to it. I just want to know more information about whether anyone enjoyed it. Thank you!

I was accepted but won't be attending, hopefully this opens a spot up for someone!

Stats and dates for those curious:
Cum. GPA: 3.36
Sci. GPA: 3.40
GRE: 305

Application marked complete: 5/2
Acceptance email: 5/16

Do I still have a chance of acceptance even though my MCAT score was low? i have a competitive GPA.

Do I still have a chance of acceptance even though my MCAT score was low? i have a competitive GPA.
Have you already applied? I went to the open house last December and they told us that the majority of the students will get accepted in June after the application deadline. If you're a very competitive applicant you should receive an acceptance letter within a few weeks. Everyone else who isn't competitive will have to wait until June. She didn't specify when in June, but I believe most people should be hearing back within a few weeks.

Have you already applied? I went to the open house last December and they told us that the majority of the students will get accepted in June after the application deadline. If you're a very competitive applicant you should receive an acceptance letter within a few weeks. Everyone else who isn't competitive will have to wait until June. She didn't specify when in June, but I believe most people should be hearing back within a few weeks.

No I'm mailing my application today. I was waiting on my MCAT score. My sgpa and cgpa are above the minimum, 3.45 each. However, my MCAT score that was released today was 7 points below the minimum they require (500). I'm not sure if I should take the GRE or just apply with my MCAT score. I have an excellent resume, 2 LORs, etc.

No I'm mailing my application today. I was waiting on my MCAT score. My sgpa and cgpa are above the minimum, 3.45 each. However, my MCAT score that was released today was 7 points below the minimum they require (500). I'm not sure if I should take the GRE or just apply with my MCAT score. I have an excellent resume, 2 LORs, etc.
I was accepted in less than 2 weeks and my MCAT score is below 500. I have above their average GPA and excellent LORs and ECs as well. I think you have a solid shot!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone submitted DAT scores for acceptance into this program? Any idea how much weight experience holds compared to academics? I'm in my mid-30's and my grades when I was 18-22 are pretty bad and are still haunting me. I received an email stating that my application was complete on May 16th and have yet to hear any news, good or bad. Thoughts?

Has anyone submitted DAT scores for acceptance into this program? Any idea how much weight experience holds compared to academics? I'm in my mid-30's and my grades when I was 18-22 are pretty bad and are still haunting me. I received an email stating that my application was complete on May 16th and have yet to hear any news, good or bad. Thoughts?

I'm not exactly sure about how experience is calculated into the application process, but I think as long as you have a good DAT score to counter your bad GPA you should still be okay. I definitely think that look at your application as a whole. My academic stats were pretty average, but I did have a lot of leadership experience through work and student organizations. My manager and professor wrote me great LORs and I think the admissions committee also liked my personal statement. So if the rest of your application is solid, you should be good! She did tell me that on average 1000 people apply to the program and only 200 people get in, but they also select the majority of the students in June. There's still hope!

I'm not exactly sure about how experience is calculated into the application process, but I think as long as you have a good DAT score to counter your bad GPA you should still be okay. I definitely think that look at your application as a whole. My academic stats were pretty average, but I did have a lot of leadership experience through work and student organizations. My manager and professor wrote me great LORs and I think the admissions committee also liked my personal statement. So if the rest of your application is solid, you should be good! She did tell me that on average 1000 people apply to the program and only 200 people get in, but they also select the majority of the students in June. There's still hope!

Thank you for the response! Trying to remain hopeful, but it's tough after seeing that some people were selected after just two days of their applications being considered complete.

Does anyone know how much the deposit is to secure your spot in the program?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm currently in the final semester of this program and would love to provide insight to whomever desires it. Feel free to pm me or reply to this thread in case others have similar questions.

Were you in the MSP3 program? If so, what advice would you give to upcoming students? Were there certain things you would change if you could start over? Also how are the facilities at USF (specifically the library)? Sorry to bombard you with questions lol. I'm just trying to get a feel of what to expect from this program.

I received an acceptance e-mail this morning. My application was complete on 5/26. Good luck to everyone that applied!

I've recently been accepted and couldn't find a FaceBook group for our class, so I made one! We can get to know each other, find roommates, ask questions, and just stay in touch before we start this August.

My application wasn't marked complete until June 1st due to rec letters, anyone have any idea how long it'll take to hear back?? Also, anyone else apply for the molecular medicine concentration?

Last edited:
My application wasn't marked complete until June 1st due to rec letters, anyone have any idea how long it'll take to hear back?? Also, anyone else apply for the molecular medicine concentration?

I spoke to someone on Monday that said it could take up to 6 weeks to hear something back. Got an email on Tuesday stating that this is the busiest week of the year for them as they are collecting application materials and that the committee will start reviewing applications over the next few weeks to start to fill the class. Getting a little anxious as my application was marked complete on May 16th and I've yet to hear anything back. Has anyone been rejected at this point?

I spoke to someone on Monday that said it could take up to 6 weeks to hear something back. Got an email on Tuesday stating that this is the busiest week of the year for them as they are collecting application materials and that the committee will start reviewing applications over the next few weeks to start to fill the class. Getting a little anxious as my application was marked complete on May 16th and I've yet to hear anything back. Has anyone been rejected at this point?

Thanks for the insight.

I can no longer attend the program because USF won't give me Florida residency. I've lived in Florida for years but I'm an immigrant and have to apply as an international student for that reason. USF does not give Florida residency to F-1 students, even those who've lived here as long as I have.

I'm highly disappointed, I have to give up a seat I know I deserve. I worked so hard to apply to schools in the short amount of time I had. I have given up my seat in the program and I hope someone deserving gets it. Good luck to you all.

I can no longer attend the program because USF won't give me Florida residency. I've lived in Florida for years but I'm an immigrant and have to apply as an international student for that reason. USF does not give Florida residency to F-1 students, even those who've lived here as long as I have.

I'm highly disappointed, I have to give up a seat I know I deserve. I worked so hard to apply to schools in the short amount of time I had. I have given up my seat in the program and I hope someone deserving gets it. Good luck to you all.

I'm sorry to hear that. For undergrad, were you able to get in state tuition for Florida? Is it just USF that won't grant you in state tuition? Graduate school is expensive even with in state tuition, paying out of state or international would be so much. I wish you luck!

I'm sorry to hear that. For undergrad, were you able to get in state tuition for Florida? Is it just USF that won't grant you in state tuition? Graduate school is expensive even with in state tuition, paying out of state or international would be so much. I wish you luck!
I was able to pay in-state during undergrad, apparently there are some exceptions when you're in undergrad like attending high school in that state before starting college. USF and another school would not grant me in-state. The last school I applied to did grant me in-state tuition but it won't be a medically concentrated Master's like I wanted. I only applied because I was running out of options and time. But that's where I'll be going. And thank you! I wish everyone all the best. This was a program I had my eye on for a while. It's a great opportunity for those who get in. Good luck to all.

Has anyone here been accepted or rejected since the deadline passed on June 1st?

Anyone know if theres a specific day of the week or a certain time of day that the acceptance emails are sent out? Every time my email dings my stomach drops lol just wasn't sure if there's a certain time or day of the week.

Also has anyone heard back/been accepted recently? I just saw they extended the deadline to july 1st...

Anyone know if theres a specific day of the week or a certain time of day that the acceptance emails are sent out? Every time my email dings my stomach drops lol just wasn't sure if there's a certain time or day of the week.

Also has anyone heard back/been accepted recently? I just saw they extended the deadline to july 1st...

Where did you see that the deadline was extended to July 1st? I'm still seeing June 1st on the page that I've been checking. If they have 900+ applicants and only 200 spots, seems strange that they would extend the deadline to accept more applications.

I'm in the same boat as you, anxiously waiting and hoping that every time I get an email it's at least some kind of correspondence from the program. Hopefully we hear good news soon!

Where did you see that the deadline was extended to July 1st? I'm still seeing June 1st on the page that I've been checking. If they have 900+ applicants and only 200 spots, seems strange that they would extend the deadline to accept more applications.

I'm in the same boat as you, anxiously waiting and hoping that every time I get an email it's at least some kind of correspondence from the program. Hopefully we hear good news soon!

MS Application Procedures | USF Health
On here in red it says its extended! I was surprised too, I'm not sure why they would do that.

MS Application Procedures | USF Health
On here in red it says its extended! I was surprised too, I'm not sure why they would do that.

I'm curious as to whether this is going to push back decision times for those of us that got in before the June 1st deadline while they just let the applicant pool get flooded more than it already is. Today marks 4 weeks that my application has been considered complete. Even if it's not the news I want, I'd at least like to know something so I can start planning for the future.

I'm curious as to whether this is going to push back decision times for those of us that got in before the June 1st deadline while they just let the applicant pool get flooded more than it already is. Today marks 4 weeks that my application has been considered complete. Even if it's not the news I want, I'd at least like to know something so I can start planning for the future.

I agree, I'm wondering if it's worth a shot to give the admissions office a call just to see what exactly this means in terms of the timeline for acceptance letters for those of us to made it in before the deadline?