USF MMS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nikj

NigelWhiskers
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting thread. App submitted first week of January 2017. Anyone else apply or planning to?

Members don't see this ad.

For those who don't know about the program http://gradaffairs.health.usf.edu/preprofessional.html

It's not a back-door into their Med School, however they accept 10-20% of the 200 student MMS class into their medical school class. I think 80% of students find a school within two years of graduating from the program, MD or DO. I don't know about the other dental/pharmacy students numbers.

Great location for any pre-professional, and especially for medical school with their plan of opening a new campus in downtown Tampa in the next few years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard from the IMS concentration that they start reviewing applications at the end of February. I would imagine the general MMS would be after that.

What were your stats like? If you don't mind me asking. Wanted a better idea of where I stand.
500 MCAT
3.16 sGPA
2 very good letters of rec
3 research positions
200 hours shadowing
250 hours clinical volunteering
numerous ECs and leadership roles

I heard from the IMS concentration that they start reviewing applications at the end of February. I would imagine the general MMS would be after that.
In the thread from last year they said they start giving out acceptances in the beginning of February. So you should hear back within a four week period or something might be holding back your acceptance

They received my application on January 13th, and was accepted on January 30th.

Hopefully I get off a dental school waitlist soon but in the meantime I'll be applying to this program. Good luck everyone

I went to the open house in November and they said that they start reviewing applications in February, but most people will find out if they are accepted in June. If you're a really competitive applicant you'll be accepted within 2 weeks of applying, or if you're a really bad applicant you'll be denied within 2 weeks. Everyone else will have to wait until applications close in June. She did stress to get applications in ASAP though. Good luck to everyone applying!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Complete Feb 14 (after I accidentally applied to the IMS one on the primary app lol but I emailed someone). Received a congratulation Feb 20. aka "The committee recommended my application to the Anatomy Concentration."

Last edited:
Accepted on: 3/3/17
Application complete: 3/1
Mailed in application around a week before.

cGPA: 3.74
sGPA: 3.55
GRE: 320

Good luck to all who are applying!

On people applying/being accepted? Does anyone know what percent of people they accept?
I think that's something you ask the admissions office. Does anyone know the pros and cons of ims vs anatomy concentration in terms of helpfulness in application to med school? Is it a matter of which is more interesting to the individual?

On people applying/being accepted? Does anyone know what percent of people they accept?

I believe the website states that they typically accept 260 students out of 1000 applications, so roughly a quarter of students get in.

I think that's something you ask the admissions office. Does anyone know the pros and cons of ims vs anatomy concentration in terms of helpfulness in application to med school? Is it a matter of which is more interesting to the individual?

I believe IMS used to be more of an actual SMP where you would take classes alongside the MD students and are guaranteed a spot in the next class if you meet certain requirements. The class size was significantly smaller and they would pick from students who applied to MCOM. Apparently they've changed the program and do not provide the direct linkage anymore. When I went to the open house last fall they didn't tell us anything about the IMS program, but they told us that choosing the anatomy concentration vs the pre-professional track would just be based on personal preference. There seemed to be no advantage/disadvantage in picking either of the concentrations it's just whichever you prefer. More people tend to choose the pre-professional track though.

I believe IMS used to be more of an actual SMP where you would take classes alongside the MD students and are guaranteed a spot in the next class if you meet certain requirements. The class size was significantly smaller and they would pick from students who applied to MCOM. Apparently they've changed the program and do not provide the direct linkage anymore. When I went to the open house last fall they didn't tell us anything about the IMS program, but they told us that choosing the anatomy concentration vs the pre-professional track would just be based on personal preference. There seemed to be no advantage/disadvantage in picking either of the concentrations it's just whichever you prefer. More people tend to choose the pre-professional track though.
Thank you! That was very helpful. I think that because there is not direct linkage, I would not choose IMS/preprofessional over anatomy. I love learning body parts heehee

Mailed in app 3/20
App Complete 3/22
Accepted 3/23

Good luck to all who apply!

My application was marked complete on March 16th. It has been two weeks and I havent heard back from them. How long does it usually take?

My application was marked complete on March 16th. It has been two weeks and I havent heard back from them. How long does it usually take?

I've heard of students not hearing back for a few months, while others getting a decision in just a day. I think it depends on how competitive your app is.

My stats

cGPA: 3.47
sGPA: 3.65
GRE: 297 (the minimum they require)
I have lots of EC's and volunteering, including shadowing as well.

Both GPAs are fine, but I think your GRE might be holding you back.

cGPA: 3.22
sGPA: 3.05
MCAT: 507
I've been working full time as a clinical research assistant for the past 8 months.

I mailed out my application and received an email saying my secondary application was complete 4/11.
This rolling admission thing kills me.

Update: Accepted 4/18

Last edited:
cGPA: 3.22
sGPA: 3.05
MCAT: 507
I've been working full time as a clinical research assistant for the past 8 months.

I mailed out my application and received an email saying my secondary application was complete 4/11.
This rolling admission thing kills me.

Your MCAT is very competitive for the program. However, even though both GPAs are above the minimum for application, they are just a tad shy of last year's matriculating average (3.35). Still, I'd imagine you could hear back soon, good luck!

For the personal statement, is it typical to use the same personal statement written for medical school but modified slightly to explain why you are electing to do the USF MSMS program? They also state we should include a resume. I have a 7 page CV that outlines in detail everything I have done. Did anyone submit a lengthy CV? Finally, the information page states 2 letters of recommendation are required -- would it be helpful to include more than 2 if the writers know you in a thorough capacity?

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited:
For the personal statement, it is typical to use the same personal statement written for medical school but modified slightly to explain why you are electing to do the USF MSMS program? They also state we should include a resume. I have a 7 page CV that outlines in detail everything I have done. Did anyone submit a lengthy CV? Finally, the information page states 2 letters of recommendation are required -- would it be helpful to include more than 2 if the writers know you in a thorough capacity?

Thanks for any insight!

Hi! I was accepted earlier this year into the anatomy concentration. I hope my answers are somewhat helpful. Because I hadn't applied to med school yet, I wrote a 1 page personal statement about why I chose USF to continue my education with/why I wanted to go into the medical field. Also, I had a 1 page resume, but I think it's great you have an extensive CV. I chose to include 4 letters of rec, 2 from doctors I shadowed and 2 from science teachers.

Your MCAT is very competitive for the program. However, even though both GPAs are above the minimum for application, they are just a tad shy of last year's matriculating average (3.35). Still, I'd imagine you could hear back soon, good luck!
I got accepted today!

For the personal statement, it is typical to use the same personal statement written for medical school but modified slightly to explain why you are electing to do the USF MSMS program? They also state we should include a resume. I have a 7 page CV that outlines in detail everything I have done. Did anyone submit a lengthy CV? Finally, the information page states 2 letters of recommendation are required -- would it be helpful to include more than 2 if the writers know you in a thorough capacity?

Thanks for any insight!

For the personal statement, I just used my med statement and added a paragraph stating how the MSMS program would help.

I used the two strongest letters I had. More might help if they're strong.

As for CV, you can't condense it at all? I think normal CV length is 2-4 pages.

I'll be withdrawing my seat due to acceptance into medical school, good luck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Can we choose to exclude/include certain science courses for the science GPA spreadsheet? I've heard of members from previous years doing it. Also, anyone know if we can calculate based on AACOMAS science GPA courses? (nutrition, pharmacology, etc)

Can we choose to exclude/include certain science courses for the science GPA spreadsheet? I've heard of members from previous years doing it. Also, anyone know if we can calculate based on AACOMAS science GPA courses? (nutrition, pharmacology, etc)

I certainly excluded some courses that didn't help my GPA calculation. You really only have to report the standard pre-reqs.

As for the other courses you want to include, here is a quote from the application page:

"...You may also include courses in anatomy, biochemistry, biophysics, biotechnology, botany, cell biology, ecology, entomology, genetics, histology, immunology, microbiology, molecular biology, neuroscience, physiology, physical chemistry, molecules and cells, astronomy, physics, and thermodynamics."

Also withdrawing my acceptance due to MD offer. Hopefully it goes to someone waiting! It's a great program. A lot of students I interviewed with did this program or the one at UF.

I certainly excluded some courses that didn't help my GPA calculation. You really only have to report the standard pre-reqs.

As for the other courses you want to include, here is a quote from the application page:

"...You may also include courses in anatomy, biochemistry, biophysics, biotechnology, botany, cell biology, ecology, entomology, genetics, histology, immunology, microbiology, molecular biology, neuroscience, physiology, physical chemistry, molecules and cells, astronomy, physics, and thermodynamics."
Okay cool thanks, I took an advanced biochem course over the summer and got a C+ in it... Didn't know if they would look at me negatively if I chose not to report it in the science gpa calculator. I'm really hoping to get into this program, I've actually been planning on attending this program for years now. My brother graduated from this program in 2012 and he just matched for orthopedic surgery last month.

Any thoughts on my stats/odds of getting in?
Cum. GPA: 3.36
Sci. GPA: 3.40
GRE: 305 (prioritized studying for MCAT..didn't do so well on GRE)

Okay cool thanks, I took an advanced biochem course over the summer and got a C+ in it... Didn't know if they would look at me negatively if I chose not to report it in the science gpa calculator. I'm really hoping to get into this program, I've actually been planning on attending this program for years now. My brother graduated from this program in 2012 and he just matched for orthopedic surgery last month.

Any thoughts on my stats/odds of getting in?
Cum. GPA: 3.36
Sci. GPA: 3.40
GRE: 305 (prioritized studying for MCAT..didn't do so well on GRE)

Stats looks good to get in. Make sure to get your app in ASAP. If you prioritized MCAT, did you do better on that?

Stats looks good to get in. Make sure to get your app in ASAP. If you prioritized MCAT, did you do better on that?
Thanks I really hope I get in! I'm currently studying (although hard to study when unsure where I'm going for grad school) for the MCAT, my date is June 30th. I was originally supposed to take it March 30th but realized I wasn't prepared enough and was just rushing to take it for the sake of admission to graduate schools. Took a few weeks off and studied for the GRE instead.

Okay I have a question for everyone here. Would you choose the LECOM Masters program over this? I have recently become more interested in osteopathic medicine, and think it's a pretty sweet deal that if you do well in their program you get a guarenteed interview to their medical school.