Technology Useful apps for medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iMA Editor TL

iMA Editor Tom Lewis
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a range of medical apps that can help with your studies either as an aide memoir or to help present a topic in a different way. Some of the apps which many new medical students might find useful are shown below. Most are available for iPhone, iPad and Android:

Anatomy

-3D4Medical Essential Anatomy

-Pocket Body

-Visible Body

Productivity

-Evernote

-Dropbox

-Google Drive

General Reference

-Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine

-Medscape

-Clinical Guidelines

-GP Notebook

-Best Practice

-Patient.co.uk

Radiology

-iCXR

-RealWorld Radiology

-Radiology 2.0 One Night in the ED

OSCE/Clinical Skills

-OSCE Trainer

-MyMedTutor

-Heart Murmur Pro

Medical Calculators

-QxMD Calculate

Prescribing

-BNF

-BNF for Children

-Student Formulary

-Epocrates

Acute

-Patient Safety Manual

-iResus

Test Yourself

-Resuscitation!

-Pastest

-On Examination

-ECG Challenge

-ECG Guide

Staying up to date

-Student BMJ

-BMJ

These are just a few of the apps that medical students might find useful. There are also a wide number of specialty specific apps available ranging from orthopaedics to histology and pathology. The best way to find out about other useful apps is to ask your friends and doctors that you work with. Alternatively there are websites such as iMedicalApps.com which review a wide range of medical apps for clinicians and students. Remember not all of these apps have been appropriately validated so the content can’t always be relied on as absolutely correct. However mobile apps used appropriately can be used as a really useful adjunct to quickly check information on the wards/in the library/on the bus. Don’t forget to check your hospitals policy regarding mobile devices and be sure to maintain proper infection control at all times!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
edit:

Last edited:
wow great post! thanks! do you guys have any suggestions for ECG apps other than the ones listed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Great list! Another great must have app (free also!!!) is from Medal.org.
It's a list of 20,000+ medical algorithms and their calculators to determine next best step for treatment, diagnosis, and includes the pubmed references. Great way to excel on rounds and in the clinic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I like and use Digitalis. Neat and functional app that enables me to follow all the medical news and to create CPD profile. It is available for both Android and it is really helping me as a medical doctor. There are great number of useful references too

I'm a fan of Micromedex for pharm reference - it seems to have a bit more info than Epocrates on in depth things like drug mechanisms and pharmacokinetics.

Elsevier MyPGMEE is the best app for medical pg entrance exam preparation.

I want to get away from scribbling stuff on paper, and making checkboxes - only to miss stuff & not be able to read my own handwriting.

Does anyone have iPhone app for tracking patients/tasks that they recommend?
Assuming it's secure/encrypted and HIPAA compliant.

Someone on this thread mentioned Caddy - anyone used that?

A good free source for medical microbiology is Micropedia. You can look up infectious diseases by the name of the bug or do a search for the diseases the cause. Reviews microbiology, epidemiology, clinical presentation, diagnosis, treatment. Just about everything. Also has an interactive quiz which is pretty fun, and frequently updated with more questions.

'Orthopedic OSCE' app available on app store, google play and windows app store.

The book is for orthopedic clinical skills and OSCE. This app has additional chapters on communication skills, history gathering, Evaluation of imaging studies and Orthopedic procedures and implants.

Really enjoying Aura Mindfulness app so far for getting into mindfulness!

Great list here

I also recommend Dem Dx (free app) for clinical cases and Touch Surgery

Anatomy

-3D4Medical Essential Anatomy

-Pocket Body

-Visible Body

Productivity

-Evernote

-Dropbox

-Google Drive

General Reference

-Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine

-Medscape

-Clinical Guidelines

-GP Notebook

-Best Practice

-Patient.co.uk

Radiology

-iCXR

-RealWorld Radiology

-Radiology 2.0 One Night in the ED

OSCE/Clinical Skills

-OSCE Trainer

-MyMedTutor

-Heart Murmur Pro

Medical Calculators

-QxMD Calculate

Prescribing

-BNF

-BNF for Children

-Student Formulary

-Epocrates

Acute

-Patient Safety Manual

-iResus

Test Yourself

-Resuscitation!

-Pastest

-On Examination

-ECG Challenge

-ECG Guide

Staying up to date

-Student BMJ

-BMJ
Great list! I've been using only few of them but will definitely check out more!

Unfortunately, I have an android.

As a practicing physician. I use doximity dialer everyday. It is free and saves you from giving out your real phone number.