Useful apps for med students and residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juliagoulia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to compose a list of useful apps for android and Iphone/Ipad devices that might be useful for med students and residents. There is a thread already for iPad but can't find one for android. Anyway I will start with some good ones I think are more innovative than versions of med calculators etc that already exist for free on epocrates.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_norasfinchs.Version_18&hl=en

This one is an abdominal pain algorithm app I found and downloaded to my Evo, and I actually found it somewhat helpful. Its pretty simple and not flashy (could use a better icon!) but I think its helpful, just wish they had some specific for chest pain or syncope etc. I am a medicine intern now so it works great on the floors to stratify my pts with c/o abdominal pain (like every 5th admission or so) and narrow my differential pretty significantly. It basically walks u through a series of questions and leads you through basic hx PE findings and then offers key lists of labs and imaging to consider also has the critical dx's on there that u do not want to forget about or miss . As I went through the decision tree I actually have honed my workflow more instead of the old " platinum package of rainbow labs, pan-scanning the pt and just :xf: and hope to find something-->which it seems like the routine its easy to fall into when pressed for time and don't feel like thinking too hard:idea: (unless you want to be a consultologist when you grow up:laugh:).

Members don't see this ad.

'Orthopedic OSCE' app available on app store, google play and windows app store.

The book is to develop orthopedic clinical skills and for OSCE exams. This app has chapters on communication skills, history gathering, clinical examination, Evaluation of imaging studies and Orthopedic procedures and implants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pocket PM&R. Has sports medcine, back/neck pain, neurology, spinal cord injury and traumatic brain injury

I use Epocrates (subscription) and medscape. Also, goodrx is amazing! Especially when you have both inpatients and outpatients who may not have insurance and are worried about costs of prescriptions- you can quickly look up the price of a certain med nearest you to give them an idea of cost. Has been very helpful as sometimes you may need to choose a different drug because the patient will not pick up the Rx because they can't afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile