Use part of PS for Secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timmah2k

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Some of the secondary questions ask for answers that were addressed in my PS. I wanted to know if it's okay to use part of the PS word for word in the secondary. I feel that my PS was pretty good and would be hard to reword it better for the secondary.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same problem. Specifically on the Western secondary, so I e-mailed them to find out if it's OK. I will post here when they get back to me.

timmah2k said:
Hello,

Some of the secondary questions ask for answers that were addressed in my PS. I wanted to know if it's okay to use part of the PS word for word in the secondary. I feel that my PS was pretty good and would be hard to reword it better for the secondary.

Thanks.

did you guys talk alot about why you are interested in Osteopathic medicine in your AACOM ps (as opposed to just medicine in general)? I think that creates the problem of being redundent in your secondaries

Members don't see this ad :)
ruck said:
did you guys talk alot about why you are interested in Osteopathic medicine in your AACOM ps (as opposed to just medicine in general)? I think that creates the problem of being redundent in your secondaries

i did not mention osteopathic medicine at all in my personal statement

ruck said:

I didn't write much about why osteopathic medicine in my PS, but wrote about how I was exposed to it via shadowing.

KCOM's secondary asks for what exposure have I had to osteopathic medicine so naturally I'd write about my shadowing experience. I wanted to know if I could use what I wrote in the PS because I wrote it pretty well there.

I contacted admissions of one of the schools that I am applying to, and I was told that it's OK to use the same idea, but you should elaborate more on the secondaries than you did on AACOMAS.

timmah2k said:
I didn't write much about why osteopathic medicine in my PS, but wrote about how I was exposed to it via shadowing.

KCOM's secondary asks for what exposure have I had to osteopathic medicine so naturally I'd write about my shadowing experience. I wanted to know if I could use what I wrote in the PS because I wrote it pretty well there.

bigfatk said:
I contacted admissions of one of the schools that I am applying to, and I was told that it's OK to use the same idea, but you should elaborate more on the secondaries than you did on AACOMAS.

I'm guessing them frown on word word copy of some paragraphs?

i don't know. but the specific school i contacted was Western, and they said that one admissions person is going to read both the primary and the secondary app. so in this case i wouldn't want to use the same sentences.

timmah2k said:
I'm guessing them frown on word word copy of some paragraphs?

bigfatk said:
i don't know. but the specific school i contacted was Western, and they said that one admissions person is going to read both the primary and the secondary app. so in this case i wouldn't want to use the same sentences.

I have copied/pasted a few sentences from the PS into my secondaries. Nothing more. I hope that's OK!

Hey all...

As someone who interviews potential candidates I can tell you that as long as the school has open file interviews, they will have your PS sitting right alongside your secondary essay. NOW, it is up to you whether or not use portions of your PS, but do you really want someone interviewing you to see that you are cutting corners already?

I know that I would feel that someone who used a significant portion of their PS to answer questions on the Secondary was wasting an opportunity to tell the committee more about themselves. Come on now...when they make those essay questions, they know you have already written your PS. If they wanted you to put your PS there, it would say to do so.