USCE or research? which one is better for radiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ragnaroksdp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a last year medical student at a foreign medical school. I am planning to apply for radiology residency in the USA. I am in a desperate dilemma and I want to hear your reflections on it.

As you already know USCE is said to be a 'must' for IMGs and I have been trying to get one but it is challenging. 2 places offered me research rotations rather than elective and at this point I am confused. There are sources that says USCE in case of radiology is trivial, waste of money and time, since you will only be observing anyway. But some other sources say that you should get 1-2 LOR from clinical departments and 1-2 LOR from radiology. Which one would you agree and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say both are fine. Since you were offered research rotations i would recommend to go with it.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the normal duration of research in Radio programs especially acc to your personal experience ?
I also wanted to go for research in Radio but was under dilemma over the number of months I invest in it versus spending time studying for Step 3.
Sincere thanks.
Hello, I am a last year medical student at a foreign medical school. I am planning to apply for radiology residency in the USA. I am in a desperate dilemma and I want to hear your reflections on it.

As you already know USCE is said to be a 'must' for IMGs and I have been trying to get one but it is challenging. 2 places offered me research rotations rather than elective and at this point I am confused. There are sources that says USCE in case of radiology is trivial, waste of money and time, since you will only be observing anyway. But some other sources say that you should get 1-2 LOR from clinical departments and 1-2 LOR from radiology. Which one would you agree and why?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same question. Can anyone else respond?

Talking about the Match for FMGs, it is scores + connections!

So you will be okay with either as long as you get a strong LOR and may be an interview slot at the same place.

Reactions: 1 user