USC Pharmacy School – The Truth No One Will Tell You About

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im currently debating where i should school this upcoming fall minnesota vs usc. i was just curious as to why you would suggest someone cancel their interview all together?

It is the same reason why most people cancel their other interviews. For example, I cancelled my interview with Touro, CA once I got accepted into UOP. UOP is a better school despite its location (then again Touro isn't in the best location either). We all have our personal ranking of schools in our minds, and I think that Minnesota > USC but I still carry on my Trojan pride.

1. I don't want to spend extra unnecessary funds if I don't need to for travel and hotel to do another interview if I have gotten into a better school.
2. This allows other students to take up that interview spot.

If it's imperative that someone stays in California, then by all means interview at USC. It seems all my friends attending Minnesota seem to love it over there.

Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Will graduate within a month, how long after graduation you have to start pay the loan?

Depends on the loan, but most are 6 months grace. One of them starts immediately however. It was recommended to contact the loan provider after graduation. Many people consolidate, and use income based repayment.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are my chances?
GPA: 2.7 (graduating in December 2014)
I plan on taking a year off and re-taking some community college classes and maybe doing a master's program. Would that help my chances of getting into USC? Will re-taking and taking classes like microbiology that I have not taken at my undergrad university help my GPA? Any replies help. Thanks!

Not sure, but probably pretty poor. The minimum GPA is 3.0, but the entering class average is higer. I do not remember if they average your grades, best to call Jim Granderson and ask. He should be pretty honest. There is also a minimum 3.0 GPA average during pharmacy school, which is not that hard to meet, but you will have to study a lot.

Heard through the grapevine some time ago that Dr. Bisinque is leaving USC for Loma Linda. How is the new dean and faculty?

Reactions: 1 user
I think your number is within the ballpark figure but I think that's the minimum. Many students borrow more for other things like pharmacy conferences, professional working clothes, frats and clubs fee, eating out and even going on vacation. So it can easily be much more.

Lets say by the end of your pharmacy education, you owe between 335-400 k (including undergrad loans). The standard 10 year repayment plan (6.8% interest rate): http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

(1) $335,000 loan balance: $3850 a month or $46,200 a year
(2) $400,000 loan balance: $4,603 a month or $55,200 a year

If your pre-taxed salary is $120,000 a year: about $76,000 (after CA and federal taxes).

http://www.paycheckcity.com/calculator/salary/

$76,000 does not include money needed for your health and dental insurance and for your 401 k. So it is virtually impossible to pay it off within 10 years. You have to enroll in PAYE or IBR which allows you to pay less per month. The lower payment helps but since it is over a 20-25 year period you would end up paying a lot more interest. It's doable when you are single and do not have a family. However, it is not easy when you are older and you need to save money for a house, pay the mortgage and support your family. You will have to do all of those things while in the midst of still paying your student loans.

this is pretty interesting, although I understand that if you get into a cheaper pharmacy school to definitely go there
but USC pharmacy costs the same as most dental schools, why is it that nobody criticizes those that go to dental schools but if its for USC pharm its bad?
from what I've read dentistry is also getting saturated in california at least

this is pretty interesting, although I understand that if you get into a cheaper pharmacy school to definitely go there
but USC pharmacy costs the same as most dental schools, why is it that nobody criticizes those that go to dental schools but if its for USC pharm its bad?

Dentistry might be getting saturated, but pharmacy has been saturated in California since 2008 and getting is worse by the year as more schools graduate their first class. The typical dental school costs a lot, but the majority of the pharmacy schools cost nowhere as much as USC does. There are plenty of better options other than USC and pharmacy school altogether.

plenty complain about dental cost, visit the dental forum. however, dentists have no residency and have the potential to bring in 160K+ right out of dental school
as long as they are flexible with where they want to work (not california). This gives them a head start on physicians that require a minimum 3 year residency
and earning potential is much higher for dentists than pharmacists, so while tuition is still high for dental school, it is still manageable due to their
higher and faster income. USC pharmacy being the same price as dental school is ridiculous since pharmacists will not be making a comparable salary.

Reactions: 1 users
Dentistry might be getting saturated, but pharmacy has been saturated in California since 2008 and getting is worse by the year as more schools graduate their first class. The typical dental school costs a lot, but the majority of the pharmacy schools cost nowhere as much as USC does. There are plenty of better options other than USC and pharmacy school altogether.

since everything is saturated, as long as you avoid expensive pharmacy schools, and don't living in california, shouldn't pharmacy still be a decent option then?

since everything is saturated, as long as you avoid expensive pharmacy schools, and don't living in california, shouldn't pharmacy still be a decent option then?

Pharmacy might be a good choice if you are living in an undesirable area, i.e. in the middle of nowhere or in an economically depressed area. It is definitely not a good choice in a major metro area.

I wouldn't say that everything is saturated. I cannot confirm how saturated dentistry is (although it's supposedly much better), though I am quite sure that software engineering is far from saturated in most large metro areas.

Members don't see this ad :)

the difference is that a DMD is a valuable degree, which is why they can charge so much. everyone and their moms have a PharmD.

I hope you students have rich parents. There is no reasonable way these loans can be paid off on a declining pharmacist's salary.

Long afloat on careerless oceans

I did all my best to study

'Til your singing promises of six fugures

Drew me loving to apothecary isle

And you sang

Sail to pharmacy school

Sail to a pharmD

Let me loan you the coin

Here I am

Here I am

Waiting to enrich you

Did I dream you dreamed about me in debt bondage?

Were you Shylock when I was Antonio?

Now my fickle job is leaning

Broken per diem promises on your rocks,

For your sadist scheduler, "Touch me not, touch me not, come back tomorrow"

O my body, O my mind shies from the burden of a understaffed shift

I am puzzled as the rookie

I am troubled at the corporate callousness

Should I default on my notes?

Should I lie with death never to afford a bride?

Hear me sing, "Expunge my burden, relief for me, let me go

Here I am, here I am, suffering O great mistake of young life"

I hope you students have rich parents. There is no reasonable way these loans can be paid off on a declining pharmacist's salary.

or you can just marry someone for their money and have them pay your loans.

Pharmacy might be a good choice if you are living in an undesirable area, i.e. in the middle of nowhere or in an economically depressed area. It is definitely not a good choice in a major metro area.

I wouldn't say that everything is saturated. I cannot confirm how saturated dentistry is (although it's supposedly much better), though I am quite sure that software engineering is far from saturated in most large metro areas.

since you're currently in pharmacy school why don't you take your own advice that you have been posting for so long and go into technology field?

the difference is that a DMD is a valuable degree, which is why they can charge so much. everyone and their moms have a PharmD.

This is partly due to the treatment of pharmacy technicians. A lot of today's students were poorly treated and underpaid techs. They thought the only way out was pharmacy school.

do you mean the cost of a dental degree in general, or a dental degree from USC?
USC dental school costs $520,000 after annual accruing interest over 4 years of schooling, it is the most expensive dental school in the world.
There comes a point when even a dental degree is not worth it and USC crosses that boundary, the students that enroll at USC dental school
are those that could not get accepted anywhere else and are desperate for a dental degree.
their 520K debt will easily reach over $1,000,000 of debt over 20 years.
USC medicine, dentistry, pharmacy are all severely overpriced and accept only subpar applicants.

UCLA and UCSF dental school each cost 350K with interest, that is already ridiculously expensive especially in California where saturation is a serious problem.
A DMD is only valuable if your degree is not from USC and you work outside of California and New York.

Last edited:
This is partly due to the treatment of pharmacy technicians. A lot of today's students were poorly treated and underpaid techs. They thought the only way out was pharmacy school.
treated poorly by who? customers? doesn't make sense to become a pharmacist if they wanna avoid rude customers at a pharmacy.

do you mean the cost of a dental degree in general, or a dental degree from USC?
USC dental school costs $520,000 after annual accruing interest over 4 years of schooling, it is the most expensive dental school in the world.
I agree, what I meant is that 400K is becoming the average cost for a DMD now, and I feel that it is still worth it even at that cost. 500K+ is definitely not worth it.

Let's not even talk about the $55 k in tuition. Let's look at mandatory fees (aka tuition):

ImageUploadedBySDN1498920442.307565.jpg

What the hell is pharmacy exam fee? Computer fee?

If you are required to have health insurance and you can see your personal physician, why is there is an annual $667 "student health center" fee? Shouldn't the student health center be paid for by students who use it? If it doesn't generate enough money then shouldn't it downsize? This is just another excuse to add on more fees.

Cost of Attendance · USC School of Pharmacy

Why is the cost of attendance $81-84 k a year? Do you honesty think you will be able to pay it off on a pharmacist salary? Assuming you owe $400 k, including undergraduate loans, and interest rate is 7% a year....that is $400 x 0.07 = $28 k in interest alone. You are not even touching the principle!

A typical take home income (after taxes and healthcare expenses) is about $2800 every 2 weeks or $72,800 yearly. So almost 40% of your take home income will go to paying off the interest (only). If you add the principle, living cost you cant even afford a small studio in LA. How are you going to save for a down payment on a house when you have so much debt?

You are going to have this huge debt around your neck for the rest of your life. USC loves to talk about its network and alumni support but if you run into financial trouble, do you honestly think they will be there for you? They already got your money and all you got in return is a degree with "USC" on it. To you it might mean something now but to people who are in the profession...they know you made a stupid financial decision.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I wish I read this before I made USC my number one school and already attended for the year. They began the orientation by telling us how fraternities do scary things to students. The only reason people join frats is for tests unless they are from out of state. This apparently goes on even after graduation for the board exams. There are copies of emails going around with a professor who heads a fraternity threatening students grades for creating a new fraternity.

The professionalism class is a complete joke. It feels like the first year of school is just a repetition of undergraduate and honestly now enough knowledge for 55k to be worth it. I heard second year is the same. If you go to the library or student computers on the third floor after exams, you can see groups of students creating google docs of test banks. It's just embarrassing and nobody in the faculty care. Sobriety of some professors during lectures is questionable. Some students barely show up to any classes unless there is a threat of quiz or exam.

Many lecturers are residents or alumni who really have no teaching skills. I go to class, but like most others I question why everyday.

Reactions: 2 users
I completely agree with your Cons and Pros list at USC pharmacy school. I attended the pharmacy school for 2 years and learned first hand how they treat their students. I was dismissed for their mimumum GPA to matriculate of 3.0. They have since changed that rule, however I had endure a rather hard life afterwards. That being said, I am actually thankful for the experience. USC pharmacy school under delivered to many of my friends who matriculated and have had the hardest time getting employment in the area.

I had to restart my pharmacy career at another school because USC Pharmacy simply refused to help transfer or assist. Granted I was dismissed after for having a B- average and passing all of my classes. It was a blessing to use the USC pharmacy school dismissal paperwork to prove depression and dismissal of over $200,000 in student loans citing major depression caused by USC pharmacy school, specifically Dr. Weissman. USC does not help with residency assistance or in my opinion furthering the pharmacy profession.

That being said I could not be in the position that I am now if it wasn't how crappy USC pharmacy school is. Especially, when it comes to helping their students. Everything they have done to me has elevated me to become a better person. I am back in pharmacy school and my GPA is 3.9, assisting faculty with research, and excited about the residency opportunities that I have. USC pharmacy school had a huge tuition and did not assist in very many scholarships. Going to another pharmacy school has allowed me to take advantage of a better education and given me lots of scholarship opportunities. I am in position to graduate debt free and with the possibility of doing a residency. Those two things were simply not a possibility at USC. Your not alone in how you feel about USC. Lots of the people that attend my pharmacy school were offered admissions to USC and turned them down because of the same reasons you listed here.

a few years ago. I wish someone had told me these things before I started. This is my honest review…For being one of the most expensive programs in the nation, USC has under delivered. By the way I stayed in pharmacy school in California

Cons

Students are treated poorly

crappy facilities - overcrowded, old building

no place to study after 10pm. library closes (except for during finals week). not a single place to study in the building, everything is locked down. med students get office space. you have to drive 15-20 min to the main campus or find somewhere else to study

poor management - good professors are not given promotions while the bad run the place

more poor management - miscommunication and lack of organization - rotation sites being lost due to not following up with preceptors. Ask any of the third years when it comes time to rank their rotations and wait for the results. Certain faculty members should be fired but continue to run the school.
you’d think there would be more partnerships with local hospitals/businesses to hire interns but there isn’t

very slow to change – feedback from students mostly ignored

fraternity politics is detrimental to all students (seriously)

lack of flexibility in curriculum - few electives, shove clinical down your throat. USC has different paths for students to take

almost no job placement help including residency preparation

Those who went to usc for undergrad will tell you that undergrad was run infinitely better. Or if you start the program, compare it to the other grad programs at usc

feeling that you are being taken advantage of – such as being free labor for the county system

admissions committee increasingly selects “book smart” people

crappy location (east LA), high cost of living in decent areas

yes, a lot of successful people came out of this program. this was mostly due to self motivation and not that the school helped you . at times you may feel that the school is an obstacle

very little scholarship money (unless you have perfect grades or you are a minority). Seriously unless you are rich, consider other cheaper schools first. Even if you are scared of leaving California, you won’t regret it

I won’t be completely negative….. Pros – nationally recognized program, good alumni network, you come out competent in pharmacy, football

Really consider going to a cheaper alternative.. in fact there are higher ranked public schools out of state that will save you a fortune and you will probably be a lot happier

I really expected a lot more for mortgaging my future. I guess I was too optimistic. At the very least, the USC brand and knowledge acquired is somewhat of a consolation

People make fun of the new schools in California, but USC better watch out. They have nothing to lose and trying to differentiate themselves. Will usc remain competitive? I don’t know.. for now, I’d still hire usc grads over some of the no name schools but for how long?

Many of my classmates and I always wondered where our money really goes. And good luck ever getting donations from your recent grads.. I am not alone in feeling this way. I seriously hope change is made soon[/QUOTE]

Also wondering about class of 2024 interviews, anyone interviewed and heard back yet? What was the interview day like? I applied in Sept and still haven't heard anything yet, is that normal or should I prepare for a rejection?

Has USC improved recently? Deciding between USC or WesternU.
The only thing you can count on pharmacy schools improving each year (and by improving I mean go up) is the cost of tuition and unemployment % of its new grads.