USC Keck MGM vs. Ross/SGU?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drebeni

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm in one of the most confusing times in my life and I need some honest opinions. I'm going to dive right in: I applied this cycle to medical school in the states and to 2 Caribbean schools (Ross and SGU). I am graduating with a 3.1 GPA, have a lower science GPA (not really sure and don't want to depress myself). I took the "new" MCAT in July of last year and got a 495, which is around a 25 on the old MCAT. I'm really interested in writing and media (I would love to be a medical correspondent for a major news network) and am a published student writer for my schools health magazine, have my own lifestyle blog for pre-health students and medical professionals (check it out: stylemdblog.wordpress.com) and have really, really good ECs. Really what is lacking are my numbers which are also very important. I've only heard yes from Ross, am expecting an interview from SGU and have 2 more schools to hear "no" from in the states. Before I took my MCAT, I heard about and became very interested in USC's Masters of Global Medicine program and already applied to that, and am studying to take my GRE to supplement my lower MCAT. This is where you come in. Do you think going to a non-SMP like USC's is worth it? I would be taking classes with MS1s, would be able to travel, have more research and shadow experience, and would be able to study for my MCAT and possibly do better with my grad GPA and MCAT score. BUT, on the other hand I currently have an acceptance, keeping in mind I'll have to work my ass off to be successful (I want to do ER and eventually settle down in palliative care). Given only those options, what would you recommend? (Please don't suggest I do something completely different because that will make the confusion insurmountable! lol) I can't really decide what is better and my family especially is really pressuring me to go the Caribbean route because it's an acceptance "somewhere". Of course they wont be paying my loans or studying for me, so I'm still trying to make the best decision for me! Please be honest. I have tough skin! Thanks so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! I'm in one of the most confusing times in my life and I need some honest opinions. I'm going to dive right in: I applied this cycle to medical school in the states and to 2 Caribbean schools (Ross and SGU). I am graduating with a 3.1 GPA, have a lower science GPA (not really sure and don't want to depress myself). I took the "new" MCAT in July of last year and got a 495, which is around a 25 on the old MCAT. I'm really interested in writing and media (I would love to be a medical correspondent for a major news network) and am a published student writer for my schools health magazine, have my own lifestyle blog for pre-health students and medical professionals (check it out: stylemdblog.wordpress.com) and have really, really good ECs. Really what is lacking are my numbers which are also very important. I've only heard yes from Ross, am expecting an interview from SGU and have 2 more schools to hear "no" from in the states. Before I took my MCAT, I heard about and became very interested in USC's Masters of Global Medicine program and already applied to that, and am studying to take my GRE to supplement my lower MCAT. This is where you come in. Do you think going to a non-SMP like USC's is worth it? I would be taking classes with MS1s, would be able to travel, have more research and shadow experience, and would be able to study for my MCAT and possibly do better with my grad GPA and MCAT score. BUT, on the other hand I currently have an acceptance, keeping in mind I'll have to work my ass off to be successful (I want to do ER and eventually settle down in palliative care). Given only those options, what would you recommend? (Please don't suggest I do something completely different because that will make the confusion insurmountable! lol) I can't really decide what is better and my family especially is really pressuring me to go the Caribbean route because it's an acceptance "somewhere". Of course they wont be paying my loans or studying for me, so I'm still trying to make the best decision for me! Please be honest. I have tough skin! Thanks so much in advance.

OH, also, if this helps, I'm 21 and will be graduating in April!

Probably around 20-30% of carribean matriculants actually match in the US, and the majority of these people can only match primary care. The rest end up failing out or not matching, and then going back to the states with six figure debt and no job prospects.

Based on your GPA and MCAT (which is actually closer to a 22 than a 25), chances are high you will be among those who don't make it to graduation. If you really want to be a doctor, prove you can handle it by doing a postbacand acing your classes, scoring a 510+ on your MCAT and reapply to US schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Please read about the Caribbean before doing this. It is worth it to take 4 more years to get in than put up with the hell that is trying to match back in the states. "A doctor is a doctor" is a saying that gets tossed around in this type of situation by parents and others who really don't know what they are talking about (hell, I think it is even a carrib. school's slogan somewhere). Some may be successful out of these places, but aim to get that MCAT up. Also, go DO next round.

You want the truth? Here it is. You shouldn't go to Ross or SGU. Both schools have horrible attrition. Ross' is around 30% and SGU is around there as well. SGU reports a 10% attrition on their website but that's crap. They have this ingenious little ploy where they force students into a corner and make them withdraw, then don't factor that into attrition. Bottom line, your odds of becoming a practicing physician coming from either school are less than 50%. Even if you match, it'll be in primary care (really really unlikely you'll get EM) and you'll struggle to pay back that sky high tuition.

IDK much about Keck's program, but from briefly glancing at their website, I'm going to call it fluff. This degree will do little to nothing to get you to your ultimate goal of becoming a physician. You might be able to get a job in a health-related field with it though. Honestly, neither is a good option, but if you're set on 1 of the 2 like you said, go with the MS.

You want the truth? Here it is. You shouldn't go to Ross or SGU. Both schools have horrible attrition. Ross' is around 30% and SGU is around there as well. SGU reports a 10% attrition on their website but that's crap. They have this ingenious little ploy where they force students into a corner and make them withdraw, then don't factor that into attrition. Bottom line, your odds of becoming a practicing physician coming from either school are less than 50%. Even if you match, it'll be in primary care (really really unlikely you'll get EM) and you'll struggle to pay back that sky high tuition.

IDK much about Keck's program, but from briefly glancing at their website, I'm going to call it fluff. This degree will do little to nothing to get you to your ultimate goal of becoming a physician. You might be able to get a job in a health-related field with it though. Honestly, neither is a good option, but if you're set on 1 of the 2 like you said, go with the MS.
Thanks so much. I'm so grateful for your honesty! It's honestly refreshing. I know I'm deviating from my initial question, but if you were to throw me your "solution" to my issue, what would you suggest?

Agreed. Please read about the Caribbean before doing this. It is worth it to take 4 more years to get in than put up with the hell that is trying to match back in the states. "A doctor is a doctor" is a saying that gets tossed around in this type of situation by parents and others who really don't know what they are talking about (hell, I think it is even a carrib. school's slogan somewhere). Some may be successful out of these places, but aim to get that MCAT up. Also, go DO next round.
Thanks so much! I'm so grateful.

Probably around 20-30% of carribean matriculants actually match in the US, and the majority of these people can only match primary care. The rest end up failing out or not matching, and then going back to the states with six figure debt and no job prospects.

Based on your GPA and MCAT (which is actually closer to a 22 than a 25), chances are high you will be among those who don't make it to graduation. If you really want to be a doctor, prove you can handle it by doing a postbacand acing your classes, scoring a 510+ on your MCAT and reapply to US schools.
Thanks so much for your correction of my MCAT. That's good to know. I'm so grateful for your help, you are really helping reduce my anxiety.

first off, never go to the caribbeans with hopeful expectation to practice in the US unless you have deep pockets or truly no more willpower to withstand further application cycles, and even then this would forebode ominously. although there are good people that come out of the caribbeans and become successful physicians in the US, they are by far the minority of their initial matriculating class. it is a truly a gladiator's arena over there to weed out the weak, ignorant, and arrogant of their dreams and, of course, their money.

unless you have deep pockets or a significant scholarship to attend USC non-SMP, then don't bother attending the MGM program, especially if all you want to use it for is to alleviate your other issues in your application to medical school. if you do well in the non-SMP it will help, but not by a lot.

consider DO: retake courses, retake the MCAT, and whatever else you need in terms of EC/LOR/essay.

You don't even seem passionate about medicine in the first place besides writing about it. Go to journalism school or get an MPH so you're qualified to make comments about the healthcare system and forego medical school altogether.

It sounds like you're more interested in the science writing aspect than being a physician, anyway. The master's program might be a better fit.

Thanks so much. I'm so grateful for your honesty! It's honestly refreshing. I know I'm deviating from my initial question, but if you were to throw me your "solution" to my issue, what would you suggest?

Retake MCAT, retake any science courses that you scored a C or below, and apply DO.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't even seem passionate about medicine in the first place besides writing about it. Go to journalism school or get an MPH so you're qualified to make comments about the healthcare system and forego medical school altogether.
Thanks so much for your opinion. As someone who is quoting scripture about loving others, this is a pretty ironic response... A short paragraph quickly describing my situation to ensure people don't get bored reading my academic story shouldn't be enough to determine my passion or love for medicine. I'm not sure what I'd need to do to prove it to you (perhaps, to get your attention, say I'd be willing to sell my soul to the devil for an acceptance? LOL). As a future physician yourself, I hope you can learn that you can't label your patients (or anyone else you meet for that matter) by what you see on paper. Thanks again for your opinion. Be blessed.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you're more interested in the science writing aspect than being a physician, anyway. The master's program might be a better fit.
Thanks so much. It sounds like you didn't read my post or glean the point from it fully. I love medicine, lest I wouldn't have subjected myself to the piranhas on SDN. But you're right, I do love writing! Medicine doesn't have to be one track minded. I'm sure you already know that. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for your opinion. As someone who is quoting scripture about loving others, this is a pretty ironic response... A short paragraph quickly describing my situation to ensure people don't get bored reading my academic story shouldn't be enough to determine my passion or love for medicine. I'm not sure what I'd need to do to prove it to you (perhaps, to get your attention, say I'd be willing to sell my soul to the devil for an acceptance? LOL). As a future physician yourself, I hope you can learn that you can't label your patients (or anyone else you meet for that matter) by what you see on paper. Thanks again for your opinion. Be blessed.

I'm not sure in what tone you read my message but it really was not posted condescendingly. From what you said it sounds like your family is more interested in you going into medicine than you are. You also seem like you enjoy writing on healthcare and being involved in reforming it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure in what tone you read my message but it really was not posted condescendingly. From what you said it sounds like your family is more interested in you going into medicine than you are. You also seem like you enjoy writing on healthcare and being involved in reforming it.
Thanks for the clarification. I don't need your approval at all! I was just addressing the fact that you made assumptions based off of a very short paragraph describing myself. I, personally, would like to have a very multi-faceted career as a medical professional. I want to go to medical school but I also want to make an educated and calculated decision about it. One that suits me best (that's why I mentioned my family in the first place). That's why I'm here!

A non-SMP like above will not have much impact on GPA, nor will the accomplishment of earning a masters. Since your weakness is GPA and MCAT you must direct address those via an SMP or Postbacc grade enhancer, or retakes (for DO). As for Caribbean, you are the kind of student I desperately try to prevent from going. To be very blunt, your brief background of GPA and MCAT indicates that you are a consistently mediocre student with a desperate desire to be a doctor. This is exactly the kind of student that the off-shore schools target as you are their profit margin. You get down there, you get overwhelmed by the medical school course load and you leave, they take your loan money, and now you have even more debt. The residency situation is becoming so tight of a squeeze, a Caribbean student has to work twice as hard to have one-half the opportunities. You need to have that work ethic and ability before you start.

I advise all students, doing at least two full application cycles for both MD and DO, with a break in between for application repair and enhancement before even considering off shore schools. I find reapplicants with larger issues do not take a year or two between cycles to do this repair and enhancement. With DO this is especially important as grade replacement exists and can enhance many students chances. Redoing an MCAT, post-bacc, SMP, additional EC, volunteering, etc are all available to applicants to increase their chances and should be attempted where needed.

It also serves to bolster an applicant's work ethic if they eventually choose an off shore school where you will have to work so hard to be on top and get a decent residency. But the risk of not getting one, leaving you hundreds of thousand dollars in debt is why I truly hesitate to recommend this path to most applicants.

Please PM me if you want to discuss specifics of your situation
I'm so grateful for your extensive and extremely helpful response. THANK YOU! You've given me a lot of good stuff to chew on.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Advance-Data-Tables-2016_Final.pdf (see page 7, Table 4)

A decade or more ago, the Caribbean was a reasonable path to medicine It isnt the quality of the education in the Caribbean , which is questionable, that is the issue here at all. It is solely the reported (or discernible) match rate of the the graduates and the underlying (and mostly unreported) attrition rate for matriculants which leads to what I call the success rate. That is, if you start medical school, what are the chances you will get a residency slot. I have discussed this at length is several other threads (links below). Essentially, in US MD schools, 94% of students graduate in 5 years going to 97% in 8 years (accounts for dual degree students). Graduating US MD seniors match into residency at 94% with likely 2%-4% getting SOAP slots. Lets say 97% total get positions. So if you start a US MD school, you have an overall 94% chance of earning your degree and getting a residency slot, thus allowing you to eventually practice medicine and pay your loans back. It should also be noted that about 75% of graduating seniors get into one of their top three ranked choices.

Bloomberg has cited (see link below) that Ross, for example, has about 52% of their students who complete the program and earn a degree. Of these about 85% receive a residency slot. SGU has previously reported about 30% of it graduates go to non-match slots via SOAP, off-cycle, or other mechanisms which essentially means what is ever left open at the end of the match. So if you start Ross, for example, you have an under 45% chance of earning a degree and getting any residency slot. Big risk for several hundred thousands of dollars in loans and less than a 45% chance of practicing medicine.

Additionally, in the table in the link at the top of this post there are some other numbers to be noted that tend to be overlooked: the withdrew and no rank, which are not included of the match/unmatched percentages discussed above (NRMP mixes two totals and two percentage groupings) These are applicants who apply for residency but either withdrew from selection (often for not passing boards) or did not complete the process by submitting a ranking list (often cause they did not get an interview). For the US Seniors, withdrew was 2% and no rank was 0.3%. Adding that to unmatched a total of 7.9% of the applicants who originally applied did not match into a spot. For IMG-US Citizens, if we take all who applied to residency but did not get a slot either by unmatched, withdrew, or no rank, it comes to a whopping 61.5% or nearly 8 times the US percentages.

Just a decade ago, going to the Caribbean was a reasonable path to medicine. Now with the growing number of US-MD graduates and the lack of any real growth in residency slots, squeezes the off-shore grads. With the debt that a student must risk for the losing odds on getting a residency slot, I can no longer recommend off shore schools.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...an-medical-schools-use-federal-funds-loophole
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...pre-med-matriculate-in-the-caribbean.1183556/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/us-md-for-320k-or-img-for-100k.1130221/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/good-chance-at-getting-into-st-georges-should-i-do-it-3-4-overall-gpa-3-55-science-gpa.1133776/#post-16443492
Wow... thanks so much for the extensive response. I'm so grateful you took the time to help me! What makes this situation even trickier is that my sister goes to Ross currently... I personally don't think it's for me, and since I'm pretty young I'm willing to wait. Thanks for the eye opening information. Also very grateful that you conceded that the Carib did used to be a good option and it still can be - just not sure it's right for me. Thanks again!

Retake MCAT, retake any science courses that you scored a C or below, and apply DO.
Pretty much this.

EM is common for DOs and you could start in as early as 2 years depending on how things go. No need to add on debt with expensive SMPs this way either. Get those GPAs above 3.2 and a 505+ MCAT and apply day one. Good luck!

I'm going to SGU med this August and I have no regrets about it. I know several doctors that went to SGU med, in specialties ranging from family medicine to interventional cardiology. The head of this major hospital in my hometown went to SGU. I have 3 friends that are there right now and one just got matched at NYU for residency--all 3 of my friends love it. I honestly beg them to tell me negatives but the only things I've heard are most people tend to drop out first semester for various reasons, and international med students, on average, need to score higher than US Step 1 average to try and secure a residency. I believe the US average is 224, so shoot for a 230. Great thing about SGU is their students on average, are scoring at, or higher (by 1%) than the US average.
If you put in the work, just like at any other medical school, you will be fine. SGU grads are approved to practice in all 50 states--have all the same approvals as US MD. 53.9% International US med students get a residency--however, there are a lot of international medical schools, and as you know, they aren't all created equally. SGU is the #1 US residency provider for international medical students. If you can't get into anywhere in the US, then I'd say SGU is a solid back up.

Yes, and they love suckers like you. Flip a coin, because those are the odds that you will ever become a doctor.

The point here isn't that there are successful Carib grads. The point is how many additional obstacles to success you face by going to a Carib school.

The pool of US applicants from the Caribbean is viewed differently by Program Directors. The DDx for a Caribbean grad is pretty off-putting: bad judgment, bad advice, egotism, gullibility, overbearing parents, inability to delay gratification, IA's, legal problems, weak research skills, high risk behavior. This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to, or can afford to take risks too! So, some do get interviews.

Bad grades and scores are the least of the deficits from a PD's standpoint. A strong academic showing in a Caribbean medical school does not erase this stigma. It fact it increases the perception that the reason for the choice was on the above-mentioned list!

Just about everyone from a Caribbean school has one or more of these problems and PDs know it. That's why their grads are the last choice even with a high Step 1 score.

There was a time when folks whose only flaw was being a late bloomer went Carib, but those days are gone. There are a number of spots at US schools with grade replacement for these candidates.

It's likely you'll be in the bottom half or two thirds of the class that gets dismissed before Step 1. The business plan of a Carib school depends on the majority of the class not needing to be supported in clinical rotations. They literally can't place all 250+ of the starting class at clinical sites (educational malpractice, really. If this happened at a US school, they be shut down by LCME or COCA, and sued.

The Carib (and other offshore) schools have very tenuous, very expensive, very controversial relationships with a very small number of US clinical sites. You may think you can just ask to do your clinical rotations at a site near home. Nope. You may think you don't have to worry about this stuff. Wrong.

And let's say you get through med school in the Carib and get what you need out of the various clinical rotation scenarios. Then you are in the match gamble. I don't need to say a word about this - you can find everything you need to know at nrmp.org.

You really need to talk to people who made it through Carib into residency, and hear the story from them. How many people were in their class at the start, how many are in it now? How long did it take to get a residency, and how did they handle the gap year(s) and their student loans? How many residencies did they apply to, how many interviews did they get, and were any of the programs on their match list anything like what they wanted?

A little light reading:

Million $ Mistake

Medical School at SGU

I'm going to SGU med this August and I have no regrets about it. I know several doctors that went to SGU med, in specialties ranging from family medicine to interventional cardiology. The head of this major hospital in my hometown went to SGU. I have 3 friends that are there right now and one just got matched at NYU for residency--all 3 of my friends love it. I honestly beg them to tell me negatives but the only things I've heard are most people tend to drop out first semester for various reasons, and international med students, on average, need to score higher than US Step 1 average to try and secure a residency. I believe the US average is 224, so shoot for a 230. Great thing about SGU is their students on average, are scoring at, or higher (by 1%) than the US average.
If you put in the work, just like at any other medical school, you will be fine. SGU grads are approved to practice in all 50 states--have all the same approvals as US MD. 53.9% International US med students get a residency--however, there are a lot of international medical schools, and as you know, they aren't all created equally. SGU is the #1 US residency provider for international medical students. If you can't get into anywhere in the US, then I'd say SGU is a solid back up.

Yes, and they love suckers like you. Flip a coin, because those are the odds that you will ever become a doctor.

The point here isn't that there are successful Carib grads. The point is how many additional obstacles to success you face by going to a Carib school.

The pool of US applicants from the Caribbean is viewed differently by Program Directors. The DDx for a Caribbean grad is pretty off-putting: bad judgment, bad advice, egotism, gullibility, overbearing parents, inability to delay gratification, IA's, legal problems, weak research skills, high risk behavior. This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to, or can afford to take risks too! So, some do get interviews.

Bad grades and scores are the least of the deficits from a PD's standpoint. A strong academic showing in a Caribbean medical school does not erase this stigma. It fact it increases the perception that the reason for the choice was on the above-mentioned list!

Just about everyone from a Caribbean school has one or more of these problems and PDs know it. That's why their grads are the last choice even with a high Step 1 score.

There was a time when folks whose only flaw was being a late bloomer went Carib, but those days are gone. There are a number of spots at US schools with grade replacement for these candidates.

It's likely you'll be in the bottom half or two thirds of the class that gets dismissed before Step 1. The business plan of a Carib school depends on the majority of the class not needing to be supported in clinical rotations. They literally can't place all 250+ of the starting class at clinical sites (educational malpractice, really. If this happened at a US school, they be shut down by LCME or COCA, and sued.

The Carib (and other offshore) schools have very tenuous, very expensive, very controversial relationships with a very small number of US clinical sites. You may think you can just ask to do your clinical rotations at a site near home. Nope. You may think you don't have to worry about this stuff. Wrong.

And let's say you get through med school in the Carib and get what you need out of the various clinical rotation scenarios. Then you are in the match gamble. I don't need to say a word about this - you can find everything you need to know at nrmp.org.

You really need to talk to people who made it through Carib into residency, and hear the story from them. How many people were in their class at the start, how many are in it now? How long did it take to get a residency, and how did they handle the gap year(s) and their student loans? How many residencies did they apply to, how many interviews did they get, and were any of the programs on their match list anything like what they wanted?

A little light reading:

Million $ Mistake

Medical School at SGU

I understand your point--and every point about Caribbean MD. I've heard it all. But I personally know successful doctors who went to SGU and they told me to pursue it--maybe because they know me and know my work ethic. However, I am going there on a 50% scholarship, I am a co-founder of a new research institution I and my PI will be starting there when I begin SGU in August and I am not worried about numbers, as crazy as that may sound. I am extremely confident in my academic abilities, I graduated with a 3.74 Biochemistry from UF. Large drop out numbers because 1. people realize medicine isn't for them 2. Caribbean MDs accept people with lower GPA/MCAT on average which means the students may or may not be able to handle the material and course loads 3. Larger Caribbean class sizes can make it more difficult to learn 4. People don't have social support needed to succeed

These are obstacles I've already overcome while in undergrad--large classes, weed out classes with 70% fail rates, etc.

I am aware of all of the pros and cons. I am an optimist, for better or for worse, but considering I have friends there now doing well, and looking at SGU 2017 Match list, I am not worried. I think the stigma is true regarding MOST Caribbean MD, but the thing is people DO make it and become successful doctors. Plus, I want to do internal medicine so seeing as that is not that difficult of a residency to land, I am not too concerned.

In 2013, SGU (the only school on Grenada) had 792 US Citizens who completed applications for NRMP match program with 534 obtaining positions and 258 who did not, for a match rate of 67%. This does not include any of those applicants who did not rank or withdrew from the match which was 25% 2013 across US Citizens from all International schools, nor does it capture any information on attrition rate. For comparison, 2% US Seniors in 2013 withdrew or didnt rank in NRMP . Additionally, US students have a final attrition rate of 3% (94% graduate in 5 years growing to 97% in 8 years accounting for dual degree). Also, the post-Match placement, SOAP for those who did not match, placed only 74 US Citizens from all international schools out of 3,745 participants or just 1.9% .

In sum, in US schools, you have a 97% graduation rate and in 2013, you had a 97% residency placement rate (Match+SOAP). If we combine these into a "success rate" measuring the rate in which a student starts medical school, graduates, and obtains a residency slot, would be 94%

In 2013, SGU had a match rate of 67%, little opportunity for post-match placement, and no information on attrition and graduation rates. Its success rate, from starting student to eventual graduation and residency placement, would be under 67% and likely considerably lower

View attachment 216489

View attachment 216490

Thanks for the numbers! It's definitely a good thing to know, but it doesn't mean matching is impossible, just more difficult. I believe if you want something, you work your ass off for it--and I will happily do that for what I am passionate about.

A little light reading:

Million $ Mistake

Medical School at SGU
We should sticky that. Its been said here soo many times.

10 years ago I would have agreed with you. However now there is a shrinking set of opportunities for IMGs so even the level of hard work does not make doors open for you. While the level of US-IMGs gaining residency has remained steady over several cycles in a direct percentage of match/non-match, the level of withdrawals and no-rank have steadily increased (I am still working on presenting these numbers). Additionally, I have trouble accepting or making sense out of enrollment and attrition numbers at SGU.

They currently report 5300 enrolled in 4 year MD. Does their total enrollment break down evenly to 1325 a year? Or does it break down differently. The total number of both US and non US IMGs for SGU in the 2013 match is 1050 (US IMG 534 match, 438 non-match, non US IMGs 155 match, 103 dont). Assuming an even breakdown of enrollment, that is 1325 total enrollment minus 1050 for match participation would be 275 that are non-match or no rank, which 20% of total assumed enrollment and is also 10 time the US MD Senior withdrawal and non-rank. It also lowers the effective match rate and this is before attrition rate is taken into account.

My point being is that as advisor I cannot recommend a school (and a large risk of debt) where the success rate (starting school, graduating and getting any residency slot) is hovering near 50% by any reasonable estimate

Based on the numbers and someone who clearly didn't have to revert to a Caribbean MD as an option, that makes a lot of sense and I respect your advising. All in all, people are still obtaining residencies from SGU (SGU - Residency Appointment Directory) therefore, there is still hope for people who are intelligent and determined enough to be successful in medical school and on Step exams. US-IMGs matching has remained pretty constant over the years, as you said, and with the doctor shortage that is so frequently referred to, I am curious to see if/how the numbers will increase--considering they open up more spots for residencies.

Well, this thread is depressing. Like seriously gatorgirl23 is thinking with Trump-esque level logic here. How can you reason with someone who thinks this way??? Maybe OP can comment and tell us if they went to the carib and dropped out, then we can have a countervailing anecdote, which seems to be the only argument gatorgirl23 is willing to accept.

Well, this thread is depressing. Like seriously gatorgirl23 is thinking with Trump-esque level logic here. How can you reason with someone who thinks this way??? Maybe OP can comment and tell us if they went to the carib and dropped out, then we can have a countervailing anecdote, which seems to be the only argument gatorgirl23 is willing to accept.
The only depressing thing is the negativity from all of you people. I personally know doctors who attended SGU and have friends who attend right now. Not sure what your condescending comments are trying to get across, and thanks for the Trump comparison, the man is very successful and did indeed win the Presidency. Carib MD isn't for everyone, but it is for me and I have zero problems with it. Also, the one with the faulty logic here is all of you. I know the pros and the cons, I'm not naive and ignorant lol. But you people cannot simply accept any pros because of the "stigma and lower numbers when compared to the US." But, you are missing the fact that still many people become successful from attending carib MDs. The director of this major hospital in my hometown, went to SGU. I know interventional cardiologists, ER docs, pediatricians--all went to SGU. Yes, it makes it more difficult to obtain residencies, but it happens.

I'll let you know where I match in 4 years.

Last edited:
I am not sure I would go to that extreme just yet, but my job is that people enter this with eyes very widely opened. The opportunities for graduates of off-shore schools are shrinking quickly, even for someone who works hard and does well. Applicants need to realize that they may be stuck with a specialty that they dont care want in a less than desirable residency program and location or worse, that is no clinical opportunities. Several of the gross anatomy lab instructors in a nearby medical school are off shore grads who couldnt obtain residency slot and therefore cant practice medicine,

as I've said often, before considering any offshore school applicant must go through at least two application cycles for both MD and DO with at least a year break in between (ie skip a cycle) for application repair and/or enhancement. the break is necessary to analyze and understand the weaknesses in an application. Repair may be as simple as reorganizing rewriting application or it may require postbacc, SMP, MCAT, or additional extracurricular such as clinical volunteering and other items. I strongly advise that no student should consider off shore schools until the above has been done. At that point reconsideration of career direction must be done.
Thanks for the heads up and insight. I will give it my best shot and see what happens. Those people who did not match probably had low GPA and Step scores. People are still matching and those who do obviously have good enough GPA and Step. Yes spots are limited, but people match from SGU every year and I'd rather look at the cup half full than empty to be honest. If numbers scared me, I would have never wanted to be a doctor in the first place, as less then 1% of the population is even in the field.

Actually, if someone can't get into anywhere in the US (MD and DO), they should pursue a different career altogether.
Say that to all the doctors who went to carib med schools and made it back into the US: SGU - Residency Appointment Directory

I never applied to DO, I know I could get in (3.74 and 503), but I want the MD.

oh and one more thing: Quality of care delivered by general internists in US hospitals who graduated from foreign versus US medical schools: observational study | The BMJ

Last edited:
It's been real fun guys, won't be replying on this forum anymore because this is out of hand. If you're that salty/weird and want to know where I match in 4 years, message me then.

It's been real fun guys, won't be replying on this forum anymore because this is out of hand. If you're that salty/weird and want to know where I match in 4 years, message me then.

You may or may not see this, but all I want to advise you on is the big MD/DO merger that will be occurring in 2020, which is going to be before you apply for match. The current thought is with that is that with one centralized residency application, your bias will be MD > DO > MD international (lumping them all together here). That even further decreases your chances of getting a residency. Now, if you are hellbent on primary care as a means to be a physician, then maybe it is higher than 50%, but it seems you have made up your mind. Just throwing this additional thing out here for consideration.

Thanks for the heads up and insight. I will give it my best shot and see what happens. Those people who did not match probably had low GPA and Step scores. People are still matching and those who do obviously have good enough GPA and Step. Yes spots are limited, but people match from SGU every year and I'd rather look at the cup half full than empty to be honest. If numbers scared me, I would have never wanted to be a doctor in the first place, as less then 1% of the population is even in the field.

Also, my N=3, when I was working in a hospital and had EPIC training, the tech support guys were people who went to SGU and Ross for medical school who didn't make it to match. The one dude hit the national mean for his year and the other 2 hit 230 for their years respectively (~4 years ago). All 3 applied for rural primary care and didn't get it.

Who actually knows where the future of US-IMG's will be after the merger... If I knew about the "merger" before the fact, I may have actually thought twice. I used the success of my peers as the only vantage point I had into the Caribbean. As an insider, I would say stop, drop and roll the eff out. Not worth it. Gonna hope that a high board score propels me to the top of some list, somewhere. I'm maintaining an optimistic attitude, but you probably shouldn't. So, retake the MCAT or do whatever you need to and go to a US school. You just don't need this extra grief man. PM me and I can give you more info.

Ill be sure to send you applications for lab assistant positions then.

Reactions: 2 users
Probably around 20-30% of carribean matriculants actually match in the US, and the majority of these people can only match primary care.

Fact check:
It's right around 53% actually and the majority is in PC. However, definitely not impossible, just more difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Wait, you went to the Carib? Or MD/DO?

Actually, it is considerably lower than that. The matching percentage that you cite is only for those who actually applied to NRMP and ranked programs. It does not account for the total of those who initially applied and either withdrew or did not rank any programs. There is a stark difference here that applicants must understand in order to make an informed decision about the off-shore schools.

Lets first look at US Allopathic Seniors in Table 4. While 93.8% matched in those who ranked programs, if we were to account for those who did not rank or withdrew, the match rate would drop to 91.4%. So that is 8.6% of those who applied to the NRMP, did not match into a program. To extend this further, we can account for the 635 seniors who got a residency placement by SOAP. That would make the effective residency placement rate via NRMP and SOAP to 94.8% and the placement failure rate to 5.2%. Lastly, we can take into consideration the graduation rate of US seniors of 82% in 4 years, 94.1% in 5 years and 96.6% in 8 years (accounts for dual degrees) for what I call the overall success rate (see https://www.aamc.org/download/37922...onratesandattritionfactorsforusmedschools.pdf ) That is the rate in which a student starts medical school, graduates, and gets placed into residency. So we have 96.6% graduates x 94.8% placed into residency for an overall success rate of 91.6%.

It is a much different story for the off shore schools. If we look at US-Citizens IMGs, of the 7,364 who initially applied for the match, only 2,869 successfully matched into a residency slot, for a rate of 39.0%. So with 2,454 not matching, 650 who withdrew and 1,391 who did not rank for 4,496 who werent successful in matching or 61.0%. If now add in those who found a slot via SOAP, which was only 92 of the 4,020 who were deemed eligible, the effective residency placement rate via NRMP and SOAP would be 40.2% and a placement failure rate of 59.8%. What about the overall success rate, that is starting medical school, earning a degree, and gaining any residency slot? Well, we have no numbers to use as there isnt any centralized data to utilize. Can we estimate? Well in response to an article from Bloomberg news, Ross medical school did not dispute that 52% of students graduate in 4 years (see RUSM Responds to Bloomberg Article). It didnt dispute this nor did it provide any other numbers . If we were to apply the US "spread" of graduation rates, we would expect 15% more to ultimately graduate. Lets be conservative and say 70% ultimately graduate. Ross also states that they have 85% "residency attainment." But we dont know how many are discounted from this total as no rank or withdrew. Using the overall estimate from all US Citizen IMGs of 25% who didnt rank or withdrew, Ross 85% "residency attainment" rate would be lowered to an effective residency placement rate via the NRMP and SOAP of 60.0%. So using this model we have 70.0% graduates x 60% placed into residency for an overall success rate of 42.0%.

In this model that I laid out, you have 91.6% chance of starting a US medical school, earning a degree, and getting a residency slot. In Ross, one of the largest and "best" off shore medical school, your chances of starting school, earning a degree, and getting a residency slot is 42% or less than half of US students.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2016.pdf

View attachment 217597

View attachment 217599

Bless you.
Like,for that post. Or maybe you sneezed.
Either way, this is a good summary of why you shouldn't do offshore-even if it theoretically possible to succeed.

Actually, it is considerably lower than that. The matching percentage that you cite is only for those who actually applied to NRMP and ranked programs. It does not account for the total of those who initially applied and either withdrew or did not rank any programs. There is a stark difference here that applicants must understand in order to make an informed decision about the off-shore schools.

Lets first look at US Allopathic Seniors in Table 4. While 93.8% matched in those who ranked programs, if we were to account for those who did not rank or withdrew, the match rate would drop to 91.4%. So that is 8.6% of those who applied to the NRMP, did not match into a program. To extend this further, we can account for the 635 seniors who got a residency placement by SOAP. That would make the effective residency placement rate via NRMP and SOAP to 94.8% and the placement failure rate to 5.2%. Lastly, we can take into consideration the graduation rate of US seniors of 82% in 4 years, 94.1% in 5 years and 96.6% in 8 years (accounts for dual degrees) for what I call the overall success rate (see https://www.aamc.org/download/37922...onratesandattritionfactorsforusmedschools.pdf ) That is the rate in which a student starts medical school, graduates, and gets placed into residency. So we have 96.6% graduates x 94.8% placed into residency for an overall success rate of 91.6%.

It is a much different story for the off shore schools. If we look at US-Citizens IMGs, of the 7,364 who initially applied for the match, only 2,869 successfully matched into a residency slot, for a rate of 39.0%. So with 2,454 not matching, 650 who withdrew and 1,391 who did not rank for 4,496 who werent successful in matching or 61.0%. If now add in those who found a slot via SOAP, which was only 92 of the 4,020 who were deemed eligible, the effective residency placement rate via NRMP and SOAP would be 40.2% and a placement failure rate of 59.8%. What about the overall success rate, that is starting medical school, earning a degree, and gaining any residency slot? Well, we have no numbers to use as there isnt any centralized data to utilize. Can we estimate? Well in response to an article from Bloomberg news, Ross medical school did not dispute that 52% of students graduate in 4 years (see RUSM Responds to Bloomberg Article). It didnt dispute this nor did it provide any other numbers . If we were to apply the US "spread" of graduation rates, we would expect 15% more to ultimately graduate. Lets be conservative and say 70% ultimately graduate. Ross also states that they have 85% "residency attainment." But we dont know how many are discounted from this total as no rank or withdrew. Using the overall estimate from all US Citizen IMGs of 25% who didnt rank or withdrew, Ross 85% "residency attainment" rate would be lowered to an effective residency placement rate via the NRMP and SOAP of 60.0%. So using this model we have 70.0% graduates x 60% placed into residency for an overall success rate of 42.0%.

In this model that I laid out, you have 91.6% chance of starting a US medical school, earning a degree, and getting a residency slot. In Ross, one of the largest and "best" off shore medical school, your chances of starting school, earning a degree, and getting a residency slot is 42% or less than half of US students.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2016.pdf

View attachment 217597

View attachment 217599

So, I'm not disagreeing with you and there has to be some error in reporting these numbers, somewhere. The reason I say that is because, as an insider in the game, I see the people graduating. In fact, several of my friends are graduating with good residencies even in this years match. Would I repeat this path? Absolutely not. Not just because of the how we get portrayed in front of SOME PD's, or that I have effectively made it near impossible to get a competitive specialty in a top academic hospital, but because I didn't like the island living and being away from friends/family/SO. I'm just sayin, if 42% success rate = 800+ NOT matching per year that apply? There would be a WHOLE lot more pissed off ppl, and given that Ross gets federal funding through Title IV loans, there would also be some pissed off DoE regulators. Do I think it happens? Yea, sure. But do I think its grossly exaggerated on SDN? F**k yes.

I presented the numbers with the best available data and modeled estimates leaning favorably towards Ross at all steps. If you would like to suggest where this model is lacking, I will gladly rework it. However, since Ross is now geared to a class of up to 1800 a year (3 terms of 600), 800 rather getting residency would be approximately what my model would predict. If we look at data from NRMP in for year 2013 for international graduates in Chart 15, for US citizens IMG from schools on Dominica, 532 matched, while 438 did not. Additionally non-US citizens 63 matched and 67 did not. So total 575 matched and 505 did not. In Table 19 below from 2013 NRMP main data, only 74 US Citizen IMGs got SOAP positions, so very few of the these non-matched applicants got placed anywhere. These numbers are not grossly exaggerated on SDN but are supported by data from the NRMP themselves. The gross exaggeration here is from the off-shore medical schools where their spin and numbers are worthy of a comment from our current president "Fake News."

As for the political aspects, representatives some the major off shore schools have been actively lobbying and full expert members on DOE and HHS committees in this for years. I will save that for another chapter

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uplo...edical-Graduates-Revised.PDF-File.pdf#page=23

View attachment 217608

www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/resultsanddata2013.pdf#page=55
View attachment 217609

Ya, definitely not true that they have class sizes that big. 400 max!!! I was there for 5 semesters and no class ever exceeded 400. Also, another med school exists on that island called all-saints

You figure that Ross gets roughly 1200 new students per year + 800 who matriculate off the island and go on to clinical semesters, at 22k a pop. Ya, it's a nice chunk of change. Also, devry owns AUC which would mean doubling that number bringing the total north of 200M on those two schools alone. Idk about chamberlain so I guess they cycle through more nurses...

For every successful Carib grad you can cite, SDNers can also cite Carib grads who are Uber drivers, lab tech, s and Walmart workers.

The only depressing thing is the negativity from all of you people. I personally know doctors who attended SGU and have friends who attend right now. Not sure what your condescending comments are trying to get across, and thanks for the Trump comparison, the man is very successful and did indeed win the Presidency. Carib MD isn't for everyone, but it is for me and I have zero problems with it. Also, the one with the faulty logic here is all of you. I know the pros and the cons, I'm not naive and ignorant lol. But you people cannot simply accept any pros because of the "stigma and lower numbers when compared to the US." But, you are missing the fact that still many people become successful from attending carib MDs. The director of this major hospital in my hometown, went to SGU. I know interventional cardiologists, ER docs, pediatricians--all went to SGU. Yes, it makes it more difficult to obtain residencies, but it happens.

I'll let you know where I match in 4 years.

You do realize that the Carib schools are under no obligation to be truthful? US advertising laws don't apply to them.

Say that to all the doctors who went to carib med schools and made it back into the US: SGU - Residency Appointment Directory

I never applied to DO, I know I could get in (3.74 and 503), but I want the MD.

oh and one more thing: Quality of care delivered by general internists in US hospitals who graduated from foreign versus US medical schools: observational study | The BMJ