This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scotty17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm a US student who just completed my undergrad with degrees in Biology and Psychology. I am interested in going to the UK for med school and then consequently practicing in the UK. I know theres a lot of you who will tell me I'm crazy for wanting to pay international tuition fees/leave the US, but personally, I like the healthcare system better over there and feel that my learning style and lifestyle preferences fit better with UK training/practice. I know there are currently flaws with healthcare in the UK, but the core values of the NHS are more aligned with how I think medicine should be practiced.

Basically, I'm wondering if there are any US students in the UK currently (or within the last two or three years) that can speak about entry stats for internationals with degrees. Namely, whether schools look at your GPA to see if you have equivalent to 2:1 or 2:2 or if they analyze your class choices and exact grades you got in each class and things like US med schools do.

Also, if any US or international student at a UK medical school has a strong reason why they would not do it all again if they had the chance, I'd love to hear about it.

I know there are a lot of threads like this already, but I can't find any information for recent years. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I'm a US student who just completed my undergrad with degrees in Biology and Psychology. I am interested in going to the UK for med school and then consequently practicing in the UK. I know theres a lot of you who will tell me I'm crazy for wanting to pay international tuition fees/leave the US, but personally, I like the healthcare system better over there and feel that my learning style and lifestyle preferences fit better with UK training/practice. I know there are currently flaws with healthcare in the UK, but the core values of the NHS are more aligned with how I think medicine should be practiced.

Basically, I'm wondering if there are any US students in the UK currently (or within the last two or three years) that can speak about entry stats for internationals with degrees. Namely, whether schools look at your GPA to see if you have equivalent to 2:1 or 2:2 or if they analyze your class choices and exact grades you got in each class and things like US med schools do.

Also, if any US or international student at a UK medical school has a strong reason why they would not do it all again if they had the chance, I'd love to hear about it.

I know there are a lot of threads like this already, but I can't find any information for recent years. Thanks! :)

here is my 2 cents
I study pharmacy in the UK. I appreciate that you think your values align with the NHS. What I want to say is that NHS is falling apart and even though it has great values, NHS has a L.O.N.G way to go.

other factors to consider:
quality of life as well as pay seem much better in states and in Canada.
You need to write the UKCAT
once you start training and getting your specialty here, I think its going to be really hard to change your mind and go back to states to practice.

Look into a number of schools that have GEM programs, not all will take foreigners but about half of them will. Aim for a GPA over 3.7 as you basically need a 1st class honors to be competitive, a strong upper 2nd like a 3.6 will be fine as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look into a number of schools that have GEM programs, not all will take foreigners but about half of them will. Aim for a GPA over 3.7 as you basically need a 1st class honors to be competitive, a strong upper 2nd like a 3.6 will be fine as well.

Would you mind elaborating on what GEM programs are, please? Thank you so much!

Would you mind elaborating on what GEM programs are, please? Thank you so much!

GEM stands for graduate entry medicine, it is basically the same as med school in the states. 4 years and u need a bachelors + MCAT to apply.

GEM stands for graduate entry medicine, it is basically the same as med school in the states. 4 years and u need a bachelors + MCAT to apply.

Thank you! I have recently looked into medical schools in the UK so I still have alot to do research on. Do you know a basic timeline of the application process? I don't know if it is a bit late now to apply for Fall 2017.

Thank you! I have recently looked into medical schools in the UK so I still have alot to do research on. Do you know a basic timeline of the application process? I don't know if it is a bit late now to apply for Fall 2017.

Yes you are.

Process starts the summer of the year before. Applications are due early to mid October for the following year.

Applications are typically due Oct 15th for almost all programs. For a few select programs that aim to return graduates to North America, they are due Jan 1st I believe.