US to UK via carribean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJ2007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm a US/UK citizen who completed med school in decent Caribbean school. I completed step 1+2, but due to family health issues never applied to residency in USA. Lots of research + clinical experience, currently working in pharmaceutical industry.

Im now in position to apply but US residencies won't take me as I completed circa 2010. My UK doctor buddies are telling me to apply in UK.

Any thoughts of chances of getting in, and how to go about doing it? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What type of pharmaceutical work are you doing? I ask since you may be able to increase your chances for a foundation year position and US residency if you leverage your experience the right way, such as through a post-graduate fellowship and/or MSc. One of my classmates is a UK physician doing the above to increase their chances for matching a competitive US residency (neurosurgery somewhere prestigious), another is an FMG trying to enter FY1 in the UK, and I imagine that IMGs/FMGs whom are US, UK, EU, and/or Canadian citizens could do the same thing; other classmates of mine are UK registrars, dual US/EU citizens working at US pharmaceutical companies, practicing US physicians whom went to medical school in and outside of the US, etc.

However, given your background and goals, you might consider pharmaceutical medicine specialty training (PMST) https://www.fpm.org.uk/aboutus/whatispharmamed), although it takes 8 years + after graduating medical school, as do most other UK medical specialties aside from general practice https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medic...m#Specialty_training_and_postgraduate_studies. I was planning to do PMST after attending medical school in the UK, but due to the length of training and finding a shorter equivalent (pp 2 attachment)/doing what I'm currently doing which will still allow me to match a US residency, decided against it.

Attachments

• pmst_faq_booklet_2015.pdf
    359.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited: