US States where you can practice Dentistry after completing a 2 yr Speciality Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys , it's really informative but could not find any current information so please let me know from wer can i download that Ada guide ... And anyone who is applying this year .. Please stay in touch

Members don't see this ad.

please anyone can u help me in the matter that i wnat to do omfs program in howard school of dentistry after my bds.
i want to ask according to their eligibility criteria they take students who are from accreditated institutes and who have taken national boards exams . but if a bds student takes their national board exams doesnt he become accredated already?
then they are saying u need to be eligibe for praticing in state of columbia and in us.
please i want to explain me the procedure step by step afetr bds please

please anyone can u help me in the matter that i wnat to do omfs program in howard school of dentistry after my bds.
i want to ask according to their eligibility criteria they take students who are from accreditated institutes and who have taken national boards exams . but if a bds student takes their national board exams doesnt he become accredated already?
then they are saying u need to be eligibe for praticing in state of columbia and in us.

I don't think there's any oral surgery program that takes foreign trained. Correct me if I am wrong. you can go search on the ADEA PASS search engine. Go check all oral surgery program's requirements. I remember it have to be DDS/DMS from accredited dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys, does anyone applied Washington State's dental license after completing 2 years of post doctoral training before? Thank you.

??????????????

Last edited:
hi all,
I am a pediatric dentist from india (though a greencard holder), with 2 years of work experience and currently am shadowing a dentist in USA. My GPA for undergrad was 3.7 and 3.5 for post grad. I was interested to apply for MS in Orthodontics. I was wondering if it is overtly ambitious of me to aim for Ortho since it is highly competitive. please share your opinion as to i should I aim for ortho or stay focused and try my best to get into the advanced standing prog

hi all,
I am a pediatric dentist from india (though a greencard holder), with 2 years of work experience and currently am shadowing a dentist in USA. My GPA for undergrad was 3.7 and 3.5 for post grad. I was interested to apply for MS in Orthodontics. I was wondering if it is overtly ambitious of me to aim for Ortho since it is highly competitive. please share your opinion as to i should I aim for ortho or stay focused and try my best to get into the advanced standing prog
Yes ortho programs are very competitive. but no harm to give a try. Most of them needs GRE. you can try to get a high score on that and maybe will increase your chance.
I have a friend was a foreign trained too. He start to preceptorship in UCLA and then do some volunteer research work there. Later he got in UCLA ortho program. Never know until you give a try.
Best of luck.

I don't think there's any oral surgery program that takes foreign trained. Correct me if I am wrong. you can go search on the ADEA PASS search engine. Go check all oral surgery program's requirements. I remember it have to be DDS/DMS from accredited dental school.
if you give nbde part 1 and 2 dont u become dds?

h
Hey,

Heres is some information from the ADA. I do know it limits you to a few states (18) but i guess it is still a much cheaper route and worth trying. If anyone has tried this let us know. Pls. also maintain this thread for only the related information.

You can practice Dentistry in Texas/ other 18 states if you do the following.

1. Complete a 2 yr. Specialty Program/ Masters degree. The Specialty Programs include
Pedodontics;
Orthodontia,
Prosthothetics,
OMFS and
Dental Public Health which will be relatively easy to get admission to. The clinical subjects are always hard to get admission to. If you are interested in the Clinical masters look into the websites of PASS and MATCH for further details.

2. Take National Dental Board Exams ( NDB Part 1 and Part 2)

3. Take another regional Exam

What this basically means is that if you get to Texas or any of the below mentioned 18 states and complete your MS, you can practice in Texas State without have to do Advanced Standing( the 2 -3 yr. program which is very expensive.) During Masters you will get University funding.( clinical and non clinical)

Here is the Url which has most of the links to the individual state boards

http://www.studentdoctor.net/dental/state_boards.html

( Taken from ADA International Student Handbook)

Eighteen states and the District of Columbia require graduates of unaccredited dental schools to obtain some additional training in dentistry in an ADA Commission on Dental Accreditation (CDA) accredited program.

ALABAMA
ARIZONA
FLORIDA
GEORGIA
ILLINOIS
LOUISIANA
MAINE
MICHIGAN
MISSISSIPPI
NEW YORK
OHIO
OREGON 2
SOUTH DAKOTA
TEXAS 4
UTAH 3
VERMONT
WASHINGTON
WISCONSIN
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

Currently two states, California and Hawaii, require foreign graduates to first pass the written National Board Dental Examinations and then a special preclinical exam known as a ?bench test? prior to qualifying to take the state or regional clinical exam. Those in California who fail the bench test three times are required to attend a two year program at a CDA accredited dental school. Starting in 2004, California will no longer administer the bench test. Only applicants who have graduated from a foreign dental school approved by the Dental Board of California or applicants who have completed two years additional training in a dental school approved by the Dental Board of California will be eligible for a California dental license. Applicants in Hawaii who do not pass the exam after the first attempt must graduate from an accredited or approved dental school as required of all other applicants. Wisconsin and the District of Columbia also require passage of a bench test, but only in addition to completion of additional education or training in accredited U.S. dental programs as well as the national and clinical exams. Some states, such as Louisiana, will license an international dental graduate by credentials after having been licensed and practicing in another state for some period of time.

1 Delaware--Applicants for licensure must complete a general practice residency or 3 years of practice in another state.
2 Oregon has created a pathway to licensure for international dentists in addition to completion of a 2-year pre-doctoral accredited program. An international dentist, who has completed an ADA accredited specialty program and has passed the Western Regional Board Examination, will qualify to sit for the Oregon specialty exam. Interested persons must contact the dental board for specific information.
3 Utah--If International Credentialing Associates, Inc fails to certify that the foreign school from which the applicant graduated met CDA?s accreditation standards at the time of attendance the applicant will be required to graduate from a CDA accredited dental program.
4 Texas ?International dental graduates can complete a 2-year ADA CDA recognized dental specialty program to qualify for clinical exam.
5 Minnesota Must allow foreign-trained graduates to take licensure exam if the Board determines their training is equivalent to that provided by an ADA CDA accredited dental school.

Source: ADA Department of State Government Affairs August 2002
:p
hello its an old thread want to know if it still applicable or rules have changed
i am student of bds in pakistan. so that means i am graduate from un accredated institute. tel me if i want to do pursue omfs as a career and want to do training what steps i have to follow . do i need to be us resident? when a person give ndbe 1 and 2 does he become dds? or he has to take 2 years of dds after that? please tell me everything step by step em v confused
thank u

h
hello its an old thread want to know if it still applicable or rules have changed
i am student of bds in pakistan. so that means i am graduate from un accredated institute. tel me if i want to do pursue omfs as a career and want to do training what steps i have to follow . do i need to be us resident? when a person give ndbe 1 and 2 does he become dds? or he has to take 2 years of dds after that? please tell me everything step by step em v confused
thank u
According to my knowledge almost all the OMFS programs in US only take graduates from accredited school. You need to get in advanced standing program to get your degree from accredited school. Some schools requires part 1 and some requires part 1 and part 2. And then you can match for OMFS programs. OMFS programs are still very competitive even for US graduates. It is one of the more competitive specialty to get in.

Guys,

Heres what you need to do to apply for Masters.

1. Take TOEFL Exam

2. Take GRE Exam ( yes required for most dental masters programs)

3. Get all your Marks cards evaluated by an Organization like ECE.

4. Apply for Schools . When you go thru most schools they talk about participating in PASS and MATCH. Well schools which do this make it harder for you to get in. Again keep in mind this is mostly for the clinical subjects and not for subjects like Dental Public Healh or Oral Biology.

5. After getting admission (I-20), the School will inform you and have to take that to the US Consulate to get a Student Visa called F-1. ( assuming you are outside the US)
which programs accept a gre score? do i also need to give national boards?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there!
Does somebody know if getting a specialty recognized in Canada will be valid to practice in States as well?
Thanks

Hi!! I'm currently in final year of dental school at the university of leeds, UK. I would like to pursue a masters in the US - orthodontics at the Harvard school of dental medicine to be precise but my husband lives in Louisiana. Would anyone know if I can apply to a masters program while I'm still in university? Does doing a masters program mean I don't need to the conversion program for a year? Thanks in advance

Hi colleagues,

Now I have some new information (at least new for me :)) about getting dental license in USA. I understand that there are 3 ways to get license:

1. To complete one or two year AEGD or GPR residency program.... You can get license to work as a general dentist in Virginia, Wisconsin and Florida (2 years)..

2. To complete a 2-3 years speciality residency program (OMFS, Endo, Prosthodontics, Pedodontics etc..).. You can get license to work as a general dentist in TX, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, Virginia, NY, Washington, Ilionis??...

3. And I think the longest and most expensive way is to get DMD/DDS degree and work everywhere in USA.

Am I right? Any additional information or correction will be appreciated. I have to choose my way as a permanent resident in USA.

Thank you..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
FL only with DDS/DMD or 2 years AEGD/GPR... not any other specialties..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
You mean that Florida does not accept special residencies, right? Thank you.

You can get the training in FL as far as endo, prostho, perio, Ortho, pedo, but you can't get licensed unless you have done prior or after DMD\DDS\AEGD\GPR... I'm starting prostho this year here in FL, once graduated I have to go somewhere else or maybe suck it up and do 2 more years of an aegd or Gpr in order to stay

You can get the training in FL as far as endo, prostho, perio, Ortho, pedo, but you can't get licensed unless you have done prior or after DMD\DDS\AEGD\GPR... I'm starting prostho this year here in FL, once graduated I have to go somewhere else or maybe suck it up and do 2 more years of an aegd or Gpr in order to stay

Really.. Congratulations for your acceptance.. For example from which state do you think to get license after Prostho residency?
And how much do you pay for it for one year?

Really.. Congratulations for your acceptance.. For example from which state do you think to get license after Prostho residency?
And how much do you pay for it for one year?

I know for sure Texas and a couple of the ones you mentioned...I have to do more research... a lot of money its around 120k per year (including living expenses, school expense and everything)... at the end of the 3 years I'll end up with 350k in debt approximately.. they don't offer any type of stipends or scholarships... if your credit is decent Finacial aid pretty much takes care of it while you are in school.. when I graduate, I'll worry about the 350k.. after trying for so long ( I've been applying since 2013) applying everywhere, tons of rejections, money and time invested, interviews, bench tests and no results, this opportunity came up so I took it.. ( I love prostho don't get me wrong) but I thought twice because of the amount of money...it is NSU in ft Lauderdale (private school) that's why is so expensive.. but what the heck, most dental school students end up with even higher debt.. I know with God's help I'll pull trough.

I know for sure Texas and a couple of the ones you mentioned...I have to do more research... a lot of money its around 120k per year (including living expenses, school expense and everything)... at the end of the 3 years I'll end up with 350k in debt approximately.. they don't offer any type of stipends or scholarships... if your credit is decent Finacial aid pretty much takes care of it while you are in school.. when I graduate, I'll worry about the 350k. it is NSU in ft Lauderdale (private school) that's why is so expensive.
Really too much! But almost all of the programs are expensive. I love prostho, too. And could you please share your exam scores and any other tricks for cv? How did you get the position? Best wishes for you.

It was pretty bad... I did NBDE I five times, NBDE 2 twice, the max I could score in toefl after 3 attempts was 89.. I have 1 misdemeanor conviction of DUI in record ... I guess the only thing that helped me was the 10 Plus years of dental assisting, and a 3 month prosthodontics internship I did in university of Puerto Rico.
I work from time to time in my home country to work as a dentist with a partner where we own this practice,
Also the practice here in the US where I do dental assisting, they focus more about implant dentistry (overdentues, hybrids, dentures) where I participate a lot on the try in appointments to restore.. I had good recommendation letters, and this particular program was looking for more clinical experience than anything else. They did not focus on my grades or why my curriculum was the way it was.. I did a good bench test, they saw that my English had nothing to do with my score in the toefl, plus they asked a few questions about occlusion which I responded well.
So in 2016 I applied trough CAAPID to 8 schools and not even a call for interviews, also with PASS, i applied to 3 AEGD programs and only the one in Prosthodontics. Just for 2016 I received ed 10 rejections (not counting few rejections from 2013,2014,2015),Luckily this one was the one that accepted me.
My recommendation is to be patient, be yourself, practice for then bench test.
I you like prosthodontics, I would give more chances to apply to these programs rather than the IDP's for DDS\DMD. The requirements for prostho in most of the schools are more flexible, and not many ppl want to do Prost. So more opportunity!

It had never been easy for you, but you finally did it. I hope it gets easier for you after this time..
And what are your responsibilities in your current position? Research, lectures, clinical cases etc.? I mean, what do they want us to do in residency programs in a special department of dentistry?

It had never been easy for you, but you finally did it. I hope it gets easier for you after this time..
And what are your responsibilities in your current position? Research, lectures, clinical cases etc.? I mean, what do they want us to do in residency programs in a special department of dentistry?

Pretty much what you said... I know the school I'm going they would want you to gain vast clinical experience. Definitely a prostho program would have A LOT of after hours lab work involved... I'd say prostho and Oral survey programs require a lot of extra time in comparison to other specialty programs.

Pretty much what you said... I know the school I'm going they would want you to gain vast clinical experience. Definitely a prostho program would have A LOT of after hours lab work involved... I'd say prostho and Oral survey programs require a lot of extra time in comparison to other specialty programs.
mobile
Really?.. Than I wish you good luck, patient and success. If I get my exam scores I'll need your recommendations while applying for the programs..

Hi I am applying for residency in Prosthodontics in 2017 cycle. Any suggestions regarding the CV or the SOP? And do the universities require a bench test for the residency program or only an interview?

Hi I am applying for residency in Prosthodontics in 2017 cycle. Any suggestions regarding the CV or the SOP? And do the universities require a bench test for the residency program or only an interview?

I guess it depends of how important the debt would be for for you... you can apply to programs that offer stipends ( which I think is that you get paid to actually go and do the residency, but you have to get most of your instruments ) or apply to programs where you have to pay tuition and stuff... In my case I applied to a private university where the cost is high.. I think there are more chances in a private because of the cost, and not many ppl apply..
as far as your CV I can't not tell you much because mine was crappy except my clinical experience...
I'd say most of the programs would have a bench (I don't know) , just to see if you can prep a tooth properly for crown/bridge, where you can show the appropriate reduction, margins and draw..
In my opinion, our goal as foreign trained dentists is to practice dentistry here in the US, I would not care what university because I think you are responsible that make the best out of the residency regardless of what school you go too..
All I can say is just be yourself, have clear knowledge about occlusion, fixed and removable, ( that may ask basic stuff about it, if you took NBDE 2 you'll be set) practice prepping teeth and draw of the preparations for bridge.

I guess it depends of how important the debt would be for for you... you can apply to programs that offer stipends ( which I think is that you get paid to actually go and do the residency, but you have to get most of your instruments ) or apply to programs where you have to pay tuition and stuff... In my case I applied to a private university where the cost is high.. I think there are more chances in a private because of the cost, and not many ppl apply..
as far as your CV I can't not tell you much because mine was crappy except my clinical experience...
I'd say most of the programs would have a bench (I don't know) , just to see if you can prep a tooth properly for crown/bridge, where you can show the appropriate reduction, margins and draw..
In my opinion, our goal as foreign trained dentists is to practice dentistry here in the US, I would not care what university because I think you are responsible that make the best out of the residency regardless of what school you go too..
All I can say is just be yourself, have clear knowledge about occlusion, fixed and removable, ( that may ask basic stuff about it, if you took NBDE 2 you'll be set) practice prepping teeth and draw of the preparations for bridge.

Doing residency in prostho wont make u eligible for license roght? U have to do AEGD of 2 years?

Doing residency in prostho wont make u eligible for license roght? U have to do AEGD of 2 years?

Depends of the state.. for instance, in FL where I live you have to do 2 years of aegd or IDP... but I'm aiming for Texas after graduation... I look at it as the goal of being back in school... once there, many other opportunities and doors could open for you.. I love Prostho and I would not mind to do an extra year or 2 in order to practice in FL

Last edited:
Instead of doing a residency, isn't it better going for a IDP (2 years) in order to get a DDS/DMD ? Is it hard to get into a IDP ?

There are pros and cons t each route..it depends on what your ultimate goal is. Do you want to equalize your foreign degree and be able to practice in any state in USA or would you want to limit your practice to a specialty and just want to practice in whichever state aplows you to practice after a US specialty program. I have written a blog post on this topic if you want to check it out..
How can a foreign trained dentist practice in USA?

There are pros and cons t each route..it depends on what your ultimate goal is. Do you want to equalize your foreign degree and be able to practice in any state in USA or would you want to limit your practice to a specialty and just want to practice in whichever state aplows you to practice after a US specialty program. I have written a blog post on this topic if you want to check it out..
How can a foreign trained dentist practice in USA?
Great! I'll check it out!IMHO I'm more for the former...