US residency, Canadian fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently doing my peds residency in the US in an ACGME accredited program (3 years program). Planing to do a fellowship in Canada, I am originally from one the middle east countries where I did med school. I have my own funding by my government.

I have done all USMLEs, have also done MCCEE, I am not sure if I will be eligible to enter pediatric subspecialty fellowship in Canada with my status. I know many people from my country (because of funding) go to go clinical fellowships in Canada but are not eligible to take the royal college exam in their subspecialty because they have not done their residency training in Canada.

Will I be able to apply to pediatric subspecialty fellowship in Canada? Do I need to more exams?

Members don't see this ad.

If it's a true fellowship (or "finishing school" as it's sometimes called), you probably won't have a hard time. A sub-specialty is likely a different story, although having external funding takes care of the biggest headache. The issues around exam eligibility and credentials might differ between programs. Best thing to do is grab every spare moment you have to phone the programs you're applying to, and the Royal College, to identify what's allowed and what isn't well in advance.

Out of curiosity, why Canada vs. finishing training in the U.S.?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you FlameBroiledDoc.

Yes it is going to be a sub-specialty. I took a quick look in Carms website and it says:
"To participate in the Pediatric Subspecialty Match (PSM), you must be a Canadian citizen or hold a valid Canadian permanent resident card."

I am not a Canadian citizen neither I hold a valid Canadian permanent resident card. But since I have an external funding I don't think I will participate in Carms. Two reasons I want to apply to Canada: 1- The sub-specialty I am applying to is very competitive and wants to keep my chances open . 2- Although I am not from the 7 seven countries affected by the new US executive order, but I can feel that Visa is going to be an issue in the future.

I can certainly understand your apprehension around the visa issues. What a s**t-show.

As I said, your questions can best be addressed with some intense e-mailing and phone calls. Sometimes the biggest headache is finding the right starting point. The program says go through CaRMS, CaRMS says check with the Royal College, College needs paperwork from your government, and so on...it's a colossal pain in the rear.

Hopefully you're where you want to be at the end of it. Best of luck!

If it's a true fellowship (or "finishing school" as it's sometimes called), you probably won't have a hard time. A sub-specialty is likely a different story, although having external funding takes care of the biggest headache. The issues around exam eligibility and credentials might differ between programs. Best thing to do is grab every spare moment you have to phone the programs you're applying to, and the Royal College, to identify what's allowed and what isn't well in advance.

Out of curiosity, why Canada vs. finishing training in the U.S.?

The answer is always Trump