US MD (Canadian Citizen) Statement of Need

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drss1997

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Canadian citizen who doesn't have a Green Card, but I have done my high school and undergrad in the US. I am currently doing MD in a LCME accredited US Medical school. I have not lived in Canada for last 10 years.

Since I am a Canadian citizen, what would be the best avenue for me to plan and choose my country of residency.

1) There is a two year home country physical presence requirement stated on the ecfmg website:
  • All J-1 physicians sponsored by ECFMG for clinical training are subject to the two-year home country physical presence (foreign residence) requirement of §212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended. A Statement of Need from the physician’s country of last legal permanent residence is a J-1 sponsorship requirement and serves to evidence home country support for the U.S. training and provide assurance of an applicant’s commitment to return home.
Does this mean that if for any reason I am unable to get a SoN, I will have to move back to Canada for two years?

At what point can I apply for SON. Health Canada website says:
  • you cannot submit an application before the match to guarantee a Statement of Need. You can submit your application as soon as the match results are released.
2) After completing MD ( and completing USMLE 1 & 2), I assume that I can also match for residency spots in Canada as well. Do Canadian schools consider USMLE adequate or do they expect US MD (Canadian citizens) to write Canadian licensing exam?

3) I read somewhere residency in Canada is not based on exam scores - but is based on who you know and letters of recommendation. Is that true? How would I overcome "who you know" as I don't know anyone in Canadian medical system.

I appreciate your guidance.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user