US born, UK trained PMR consultant with Canadian Board Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notna

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Complicated question, so apologies in advance...
Would a US passport-holding physician with ECFMG who has completed postgraduate specialty training in the UK, followed by PMR Board Certification in Canada, be recognised as 'Board Certified' when applying for positions back in the US? If not, would that person be able to sit the US Boards at that
point?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends. By "board certification in Canada" I assume you are talking about the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Canada. Individual hospitals can decide whether they consider RCPSC an acceptable credential. Many do, so it usually shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends. By "board certification in Canada" I assume you are talking about the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Canada. Individual hospitals can decide whether they consider RCPSC an acceptable credential. Many do, so it usually shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks very much for answering! This is the first time I have posted on here and I was uncertain it would be fruitful.
And yes, I do mean RCPSC certification.
Becoming credentialed in my home country is posing a massive challenge!
Thanks again

Reactions: 1 user
They could be eligible; someone in my network completed medical school outside of the US/UK/EU and their postgraduate specialty training in the UK (2001), after which they did a US fellowship in obstetric anesthesia (2002) and became board certified in anesthesia in 2014. So, doing what you want to do is possible, but how you'd go about it is something I don't know. For ref, the above person is a Professor at Stanford and was during 2002-2014.

Last edited: