US Atlantic Bridge 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received my rejection from Trinity today :(

Was it by email? Sorry to hear that. Keep pushing forward and don't give up, you will get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Was it by email? Sorry to hear that. Keep pushing forward and don't give up, you will get in somewhere.
It was by post. The letter arrived sometime this weekend. And thank you. Of course I am disappointed, but it is a bit of a relief to stop wondering and worrying about it.
Has anyone heard anything recently from UCD or UCC?

Also, is this everyone's first application cycle with APB? I was wondering if they keep all of your application information to help streamline the process next year. Would be lovely to not have to go through all of the ordering of transcripts etc again.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was by post. The letter arrived sometime this weekend. And thank you. Of course I am disappointed, but it is a bit of a relief to stop wondering and worrying about it.
Has anyone heard anything recently from UCD or UCC?
Asked about this via email today. Told there was no timeline for future offers from UCC or UCD at this time, just that future offers were still possible.

Got Trinity rejection yesterday by post. Letter dated June 17th.

UCC rejection came in via post this morning for what it's worth.

Hey guys,
I'm considering applying for 2017. Are all schools eligible for US federal loans? What kind of options are there if a school is not eligible for US fed loans?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,
I'm considering applying for 2017. Are all schools eligible for US federal loans? What kind of options are there if a school is not eligible for US fed loans?
I know that RCSI UCC and UCD are all eligible for full fafsa support. Not sure about the others, but if not there are many private loan options. Ive heard good things about discover student loans in particular

Just withdrew my TCD acceptance this week! Hope the spot goes to one of you :)

I recently got accepted into the 5 year program at RCSI and was wondering what type of phone plan people have. Should I just switch the SIM card on my current phone or wait until I get to Dublin to get a new phone and plan?

I recently got accepted into the 5 year program at RCSI and was wondering what type of phone plan people have. Should I just switch the SIM card on my current phone or wait until I get to Dublin to get a new phone and plan?
I did my MSc in Ireland. If your current phone is unlocked you should be able to get a new SIM card when you get there. Otherwise a lot of people operate on pay as you go plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you share your stats? are you eligible for the 5 years programs?
Sure! I just graduated from high school this May with a 4.0 GPA and co-curricularly I graduated from medical assisting school which has enabled me to be a certified medical assistant right out of high school. I took all honors or AP courses. I am also involved in a lot of clubs such as Healthcare Occupation Students of America (HOSA), RedCross, National Honor Society, and Society of Women Scholars. I have also been shadowing an OB/GYN doc for about a year. I applied for the 5 and 6 year programs not really knowing if I was eligible or not for the 5 year, but I learned I would only be eligible for the 5 year programs if I had AP scores for Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone hear anything from any GEM programs recently? Emailed ABP about a week ago and was told my application was still open at UCC and UCD and that decisions should be expected in a few weeks.

Anyone hear anything from any GEM programs recently? Emailed ABP about a week ago and was told my application was still open at UCC and UCD and that decisions should be expected in a few weeks.
Just received an email about 5 minutes ago saying that I was not accepted to UCC. Still waiting to hear from UCD about the final decision, but I am assuming at this point it will be the same.

Just received an email about 5 minutes ago saying that I was not accepted to UCC. Still waiting to hear from UCD about the final decision, but I am assuming at this point it will be the same.
Same. Got a rejection from UCC about an hour ago. At any rate, I'm waiting on UCD as well.

If anyone is still interested, emailed ABP about UCD GEM and RCSI GEM and was told it was unlikely they would offer anymore spots, however they will release final decisions in August.

Can I ask about your stats? I was as well but I had a low MCAT.
I actually like these programs versus US DO programs. but frankly it seems like they are looking for a 30+ MCAT now (The interviewer pretty much told me, my sub 3.5 GPA was fine they only care about high MCATs) at UCD.

Can I ask about your stats? I was as well but I had a low MCAT.
I actually like these programs versus US DO programs. but frankly it seems like they are looking for a 30+ MCAT now (The interviewer pretty much told me, my sub 3.5 GPA was fine they only care about high MCATs) at UCD.
My undergraduate GPA was a 3.4 so not ideal then I got a 3.7 in my masters. But only a 29 on my MCAT. I am retaking it on the 20th but that will not do me any good with this round of applications.

My undergraduate GPA was a 3.4 so not ideal then I got a 3.7 in my masters. But only a 29 on my MCAT. I am retaking it on the 20th but that will not do me any good with this round of applications.
That still sounds rough, my friend had a 30 MCAT but 3.1 GPA.

Are you Canadian?

Oh out of curiosity why dont you try DO?
I actually did my masters in Ireland and loved it there, so I figured while I am applying to medical schools I may as well apply there.
I haven't applied to any MD or DO schools in the states yet, still working on this current application cycle.

Hi guys just wanted some advice on what my chances are for Ireland med school. I have a bachelors degree got a GPA of 3.02, mcat of 485 planning to re-write it.

Hi guys just wanted some advice on what my chances are for Ireland med school. I have a bachelors degree got a GPA of 3.02, mcat of 485 planning to re-write it.
Based on my scores and the fact that I didn't get in I would advise you to have some stellar extracurriculars. And definitely rewrite the MCAT.
Irish schools do look more holistically at their candidates, but I would work on getting the best MCAT score possible and fluffing up your resume to show them that you care and that you are striving to be the best you can.

Hey there! sorry for my late reply but I have been busy! I am a Canadian in the the 6 year program. I applied in November and was accepted in i think march? unfortunately you are on your own for funding. TBH the school is not big and I pre much know ALL of the international students (from canada atleast) in first second and third year. The match rate of NUIG is really good last year everyone except 1 person didn't match back and i happened to know the person. In my year currently there is 8 of us Canadians and zero americans. I know there is 3 americans in first year and a couple in 2nd year. Like I said the uni is small and if you do end up coming here I will most likely end up meeting you!
Hi
Did u apply with Canadian high school grades or with IB or AP courses?

How are all you guys fairing for this year? Are any of you guys currently enrolled at any of the Irish schools currently?

When did you guys hear back about schools? How's your first years going so far? :)

This is so weird! RCSI Bahrain offer, but no response from any of the other 6 Irish schools... No rejection or anything. Going to have to accept RCSI soon if I don't hear back from this next early-June round o_O

Hi, are you attending in Bahrain? can you give an idea how is it there? thanks

http://www.atlanticbridge.com/medicine/faq/

What kind of financial aid is available?
Financial aid in the form of US student loans and Canadian lines of credit are available to cover education expenses such as tuition fees, books and supplies, travel, etc. Currently the schools themselves cannot make scholarships available to international students.

Note: The University of Limerick is not eligible for US Federal Financial Aid or Canadian Government Loans. Additionally, RCSI-Medical University of Bahrain is not eligible for US Federal Financial Aid.

Each school has a dedicated Financial Aid Administrator. Contact details are available from [email protected]

Are loans covering living expenses as well?

Thank you,,, I had a second thought since non of the clinical two years done in the US
you can do up to 4 months of clinical electives in the US between summer vacations and allowed electives.

you can do up to 4 months of clinical electives in the US between summer vacations and allowed electives.

Yeah, but with other programs having an option of doing the last 2 years of the 4 in the US is more advantageous. thanks

Yeah, but with other programs having an option of doing the last 2 years of the 4 in the US is more advantageous. thanks

You should look into where in the US you'll be doing those rotations. With some hospitals in the US you're better off doing your rotations in Ireland/UK/Australia etc.

Last edited:
You should look into where in the US you'll be doing those rotations. With some hospitals in the US you're better of doing your rotations in Ireland/UK/Australia etc.
agreed. I nearly fell into the St. George's of London trap a year or two ago and then I looked at the reputation of their single affiliated US hospital in the heart of Chiraq for those promised two years of clinical rotations and ran for the hills. I've been told that the vast majority of residencies don't care where you do your core clinical rotaitons as long as the hospital is accredited to a standard equivalent to US standards and have done the minimum required elective rotations in the US.