URM Pharmacy student apply to DO/MD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axelz165

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year pharmacy student looking to apply to med school once I graduate. I routinely reflect on my decision to go to pharmacy school as the biggest mistake of my life. I don't think I'd be happy the next 40+ years of my life being a pharmacist.

I just wanted some insight on what I'd need to do to strengthen matriculation into a DO/MD school. I'm an URM (black/LGBTQ) and have a decent backstory for my personal statement (parents died from HIV, motivated me into pharmacy. PharmD wont allow me the level of patient involvemnt i want in this field).

My undergrad sGPA: 3.25, cGPA: 3.01, pharmD gpa: ~3.1 once i graduate. I'm looking to get into my state MD schools or DO programs (I live in Florida) and I already attend UF.

What would I need to improve my chances? I don't believe i'd be able to improve my GPA without taking on a SMP (which i'd like to avoid). Would I even have a good chance with these stats? Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.