URM Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oscar b

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I know this is my first post, so please do not take me as a troll. This is a sincere thread, and I need some advice.

I just recently received my MCAT score (492) hideous I know, and now I am panicking. I wanted to apply early, but now it seems like I wont even get a chance to apply.

What are my chances if any by applying with my current score?

Should I retake it this current cycle and apply late, or take more time and apply early next cycle?

What if I apply wide in hopes that I land something, if I do not I retake it and apply next cycle, is this stupid?

Please any advice helps.

Here is more information about myself: (URM) Mexican American
sGPA of 3.8, a cGPA of 3.74
1000+ employed patient exposure hours as a tech (CNA/EMT) in behavioral health unit, and in the emergency department.
90 hours of physician shadowing.
A little over 100 hours of non healthcare volunteer service.
Leadership role as an anatomy lab instructor. Where I preformed dissections and led them.
Research project that may potentially be published.
Strong letters of recommendation.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is excellent - however, your MCAT is terrible.

I highly suggest you do not rush this at all. Do not apply this cycle, it would be suicide. Take a year off, study MCAT for 3-4 months while gaining some work experience. Make sure you can absolutely kill the MCAT before you take it again.

I wish you best of luck.

Reactions: 4 users
My MCAT is terrible. I do not know what happened... I was scoring 505's on nextstep tests and on the AAMC test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not retake. @Goro would probably label this as test day anxiety. Follow the advice of @mistafab and take a year off, really focus on your studying and identify what went wrong. Then retake and apply with as strong as an application as you can.

With a previous score of 492, you will need to really nail the MCAT. I would suggest 510+, but maybe some of the more well versed adcoms have other advice.

Reactions: 3 users
Say I apply with this low score and I do not get in. How will admissions look at it next cycle when I apply again?

Would any DO schools consider me with this MCAT score?

The short answer is yes, you may be considered for DO. But look, you're a URM with an amazing gpa, and good EC all you need is a higher MCAT and you're GOOD. Even getting a 508 would open many doors. I know it may seem like it sucks to not apply right away, but if you just put it off for a year and really take the time to study, you will have no regrets, and with hard work you can break a 510. I'm talking about what would you rather have, the option to choose between mid and top tier med schools or scrambling for DO, your future self will thank you. I know I did, originally I was getting close to 500 mcat score in my practice tests and with a below average gpa I would have to be scrambling for DO, but I pushed it back for a year, killed the MCAT and am now going to attend a top 20

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
What do you think my chances would be if I retook the MCAT late July, scored in the low 500's, and applied late? I truly do not know why I scored so low when I was scoring constant 505's on my practice tests, including AAMC test 1 and 2. I have never had test anxiety outside of the normal nervousness. During my test however, my computer shutdown on me on three different occasions before starting the C/P portion. Perhaps that psyched me out more than I thought it did? I do not know, I do not want to point any fingers since the test score ultimately comes down to my own ability to know the material and remain calm.

I know everyone keeps telling to take sometime off and restudy the material. Ultimately, I know that is the wiser choice. It is just hard because I was banking on applying this cycle. I "technically" graduated fall 2016 and studied for the MCAT spring semester of 2017. My fear is how admissions would view my application next cycle after being absent from school this long.

What do you think my chances would be if I retook the MCAT late July, scored in the low 500's, and applied late? I truly do not know why I scored so low when I was scoring constant 505's on my practice tests, including AAMC test 1 and 2. I have never had test anxiety outside of the normal nervousness. During my test however, my computer shutdown on me on three different occasions before starting the C/P portion. Perhaps that psyched me out more than I thought it did? I do not know, I do not want to point any fingers since the test score ultimately comes down to my own ability to know the material and remain calm.

I know everyone keeps telling to take sometime off and restudy the material. Ultimately, I know that is the wiser choice. It is just hard because I was banking on applying this cycle. I "technically" graduated fall 2016 and studied for the MCAT spring semester of 2017. My fear is how admissions would view my application next cycle after being absent from school this long.
You will be fine waiting for the cycle after. Take the right amount of time to prep for the MCAT. You don't want to rush it and get another sub 500 score since that will make it almost impossible to get accepted anywhere.

Take the time to study appropriately for the MCAT. Score above 508. You will be in a good spot for MD at that point. Use the McAT forum here as a resource to help you better prepare for the test

Lol there is no problem with taking 1yr, 5yrs, or 10yrs to apply to med school as long as when you do it your app is at it's strongest. If anything time off signifies maturity in terms of experiences. Applying early in the cycle is often shrouded by premed neuroticism. You don't need to be complete by July, I was complete beginning of September and I don't think it hurt me. Of course there is an advantage to being early with rolling schools but even so I don't think It's significant enough that many premeds like to blame their entire cycle to applying late (unless you submit in November or something), up to Labor Day you're fine. That being said, taking the mcat in July, you will have your score in August and if you do well, you will be ok. However, rushing to take the mcat while in the middle of having to tackle secondaries seems like too much stress that could affect your score negatively. Again, waiting one year will in now way hinder your chances, it will probably make them better for admission to medical school. But if you believe you can do much better by July, and have your app ready, then it's your call, being complete end of August won't stop you

Also wtf? Why was your computer shutting down during the exam that should not have been happening, you should have reported that, could have messed you up

Reactions: 1 user
Remember the average matriculant age is 24 years old. It will do absolutely no harm to push it off a year.

Remember the average matriculant age is 24 years old. It will do absolutely no harm to push it off a year.
I know, I am 25 right now. If I wait for the next cycle I will matriculate at 28. I am not getting any younger, hahaha. Reason why I am debating taking it July. @dr.Breezy, I agree. I don't know what was up with the computer. It restarted on my every time I would "sign" the agreement before starting the test. At which point, they had to re-register me all over again (take my finger prints, picture, etc). I didn't take any action since it did not freeze up on me during the actual test.

it's too late to tell you that you should've cancelled, but now you know and a lesson for others....

i'll leave the age thing alone because that's just r00d.

your best bet is to wait, volunteer some more, pick up a hobby, retake in sept or jan for 2018 cycle.

that said, in theory, a late appy with a good MCAT could work. but you need to be 16196161% sure before you decide on that route.

I know, I am 25 right now. If I wait for the next cycle I will matriculate at 28. I am not getting any younger, hahaha. Reason why I am debating taking it July. @dr.Breezy, I agree. I don't know what was up with the computer. It restarted on my every time I would "sign" the agreement before starting the test. At which point, they had to re-register me all over again (take my finger prints, picture, etc). I didn't take any action since it did not freeze up on me during the actual test.

Well you're not getting in this year if you apply, so its moot whether you matriculate at 28 or not. Don't waste money. Don't make yourself a reapplicant.

And an MCAT that is anything other than stellar will likely keep you out permanently.

Well, I truly do appreciate everyone's input. Time to start that MCAT grind again, and figure out what I did wrong during my last approach. Previously, I used a combination of SN2ed's and MCATjelly's study plan to formulate my own. Do you guys have any other study schedule recommendations or last minute tips to avoid another disastrous MCAT score?

Well, I truly do appreciate everyone's input. Time to start that MCAT grind again, and figure out what I did wrong during my last approach. Previously, I used a combination of SN2ed's and MCATjelly's study plan to formulate my own. Do you guys have any other study schedule recommendations or last minute tips to avoid another disastrous MCAT score?
Don't retake any practice tests that you've already taken.

If you already studied all the material up to the last MCAT you took and if it wasn't long ago since you took the MCAT I would focus EXCLUSIVELY on practice exams, practice passages & practice questions. I did this for a month the 2nd time I took the MCAT and I approved by almost 30%tile. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users