Urban Underserved Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chicago2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm (hopefully :xf:) going to be starting residency this June/July and want to eventually open up my own clinic in an underserved area of Chicago. Obviously I cannot open up a clinic straight out of residency as I am not independently wealthy, so what type of pay could I expect to get as a Family Physician in an established practice or University setting in the inner city (preferably an area that is majority Latino)?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on the city, most urban primary care positions are going to pay on the low end of the spectrum 100-150K. That is, unless you take a post that is going to work you until the life is sucked out of you. If you are interested in urban underserved medicine, I would strongly look into FQHC and established indigent care systems in your area. Helping underserved populations properly requires grants, government assistance, and partnerships with local health systems. Unless you can come in with a multimillion dollar foundation backing, creating another indigent care clinic without aforementioned resources is not likely going to serve many urban communities. If your willing to go rural however, there are thousands of places that can hugely benefit from opening such a clinic as they currently have no medical services.

I'm (hopefully :xf:) going to be starting residency this June/July and want to eventually open up my own clinic in an underserved area of Chicago. Obviously I cannot open up a clinic straight out of residency as I am not independently wealthy, so what type of pay could I expect to get as a Family Physician in an established practice or University setting in the inner city (preferably an area that is majority Latino)?
Keep in mind that many of these underserved clinics might qualify for federal loan repayment...

Members don't see this ad :)
depends on the city, most urban primary care positions are going to pay on the low end of the spectrum 100-150K. That is, unless you take a post that is going to work you until the life is sucked out of you. If you are interested in urban underserved medicine, I would strongly look into FQHC and established indigent care systems in your area. Helping underserved populations properly requires grants, government assistance, and partnerships with local health systems. Unless you can come in with a multimillion dollar foundation backing, creating another indigent care clinic without aforementioned resources is not likely going to serve many urban communities. If your willing to go rural however, there are thousands of places that can hugely benefit from opening such a clinic as they currently have no medical services.
100-150K? OUCH! Unless they were paying off all of my loans, giving me a 4 day work-week with no weekend and no call… there's no way I'd do it. I'm not sure many would.