UQ-Ochsner 2018 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's not happening. I know what the video says, and I know what they've been telling us for years - they have as recently as last year put together a proposal to try and change it. The idea is just not even entertained by them. Honestly they should stop repeating it, and if it ever happens they can talk about it. It has to do with the AMC accreditation process. Our degree is awarded by UQ, which means we have to complete a minimum amount of clinical time in Australia.

Members don't see this ad.

I was told (from the dean via the orientation video) that this part of the program will likely be phased out.

Nothing to do with Ochsner. This can't be phased out because we need a certain amount of clinical time in the Australian healthcare system in order to get a UQ medical degree, this has everything to do with Australian accreditation as someone mentioned. For the same reason we need to do 8 weeks of observership after first year instead of 4 weeks like everyone else.

Altho, in fairness a lot of people enjoy coming back to Australia for the 2 month rotation in 4th year to see old friends, do some travel, etc one last time. I know I'll enjoy coming back after 1-2 years away without the looming presence of step1.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a random question: How is the social life/dating scene at UQ? Do people generally date/marry others in the program? Do people date the Australian students?

To be honest, I haven't really dated much in college and was wondering what it's like over there.
I don't know about dating, but it seems like everyone is hooking up with everyone

Reactions: 1 user
I have a random question: How is the social life/dating scene at UQ? Do people generally date/marry others in the program? Do people date the Australian students?

To be honest, I haven't really dated much in college and was wondering what it's like over there.

There are quite a few relationships between students. Also quite a few hook ups. That's to be expected when you spend most of your time with the same cohort for 4 years, probably in any program it will be similar. There are also a fair few students who have significant others they brought here or that they have back home that they are maintaining a long distance relationship with.

Just got my acceptance email yesterday. If any others in the same boat want to get in touch, feel free to PM me!

Woo hoo, I accepted my offer and submitted my payments. I'm so excited! Are there ways of connecting with 2018 entering class people for those of us who don't have a Facebook? Also, do any current students want to weigh in on how to simplify the process of finding the right housing for people who have no clue about the local area? All I've seen so far are the UQ Ochsner recommended housing properties that are geared toward students.

Last edited:
Woo hoo, I accepted my offer and submitted my payments. I'm so excited! Are there ways of connecting with 2018 entering class people for those of us who don't have a Facebook? Also, do any current students want to weigh in on how to simplify the process of finding the right housing for people who have no clue about the local area? All I've seen so far are the UQ Ochsner recommended housing properties that are geared toward students.

See previous threads on housing topics because we have all posted extensively on this or search back through the 2018 and 2017 entering class threads. My advice continues to be:

do not look for housing until you arrive in Australia.
Arrive around 2 weeks before orientation to give yourself time to find housing and understand the area
Sign a 6 month lease if possible because then you have the flexibility of moving elsewhere after getting yourself acclimated to Brisbane after 1 semester or staying
Use the fb class group to look for roommates or wait until you arrive
Use normal realestate websites to secure housing like realestate.com.au, gumtree (for sharehouses/random roommates), and domain.com.au. Email/call brokers they will show you listings.
It does not take long to find housing in Brisbane

West End, South Brisbane, CBD, Toowong, Milton and areas around these neighborhoods are the most popular based on proximity to campus and clinical schools.

Congrats on the acceptance!

If you don't have Facebook, open one now. A majority of all student communication at UQ is done through Facebook. An official Facebook group has been created by your OMSA reps and they will add you to it once they receive your names and emails. It's still early so this may not happen for a while.

Housing is easy to find and you'll have lots of options. Don't stress about that now. I found a place and moved in within two days of landing in Brissy. Make friends with the second years by joining the appropriate Facebook groups when the time comes and talk to your mentor when one gets assigned to you. A lot of us will be away on observership when you land and will rent out rooms to incoming students. Many will also be moving to be closer to their clinical site for second year so you may be able to take over a lease.

Try to enjoy your last summer of freedom!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just graduated from UQO and matched into EM.

Read through this and there is a lot of good information and advice, but some things I would like to clarify.

The match rates are misleading IMO because a lot of people did not enter the match. That is a reflection of the students UQO let in and the way the school prepares you. It also doesn't tell you if people actually matched into specialties they wanted.

If you need a lot of direction and hand holding this is NOT the program for you. You will have to be extremely disciplined and self sufficient to do well on step 1, which as an IMG is extremely important to match.

If you have aspirations to do competitive specialties, or match in competitive areas of the the US (Cali, NC, the north east) you will need to excel. Being an IMG is like having two strikes against you, and some residency programs will not even look at your application regardless of what is on it. That being said, there are still plenty of programs that will consider you.

Often times you will need to do more work, be more organized, and spend a lot more money than US students if you want to give yourself options.

I loved my experience at UQO, but I don't think Meded path does the best job telling people what to really expect. With tuition being so high now, and with it being likely to increase while you're in school, you have to weigh up if this is the program for you.

Read through this and there is a lot of good information and advice, but some things I would like to clarify.

The match rates are misleading IMO because a lot of people did not enter the match. That is a reflection of the students UQO let in and the way the school prepares you. It also doesn't tell you if people actually matched into specialties they wanted.

If you need a lot of direction and hand holding this is NOT the program for you. You will have to be extremely disciplined and self sufficient to do well on step 1, which as an IMG is extremely important to match.

If you have aspirations to do competitive specialties, or match in competitive areas of the the US (Cali, NC, the north east) you will need to excel. Being an IMG is like having two strikes against you, and some residency programs will not even look at your application regardless of what is on it. That being said, there are still plenty of programs that will consider you.

Often times you will need to do more work, be more organized, and spend a lot more money than US students if you want to give yourself options.

I loved my experience at UQO, but I don't think Meded path does the best job telling people what to really expect. With tuition being so high now, and with it being likely to increase while you're in school, you have to weigh up if this is the program for you.

This is a really great insight. Thank you!!!
This is exactly the reason why I am still applying to 20+ US MD schools right now.
Is anyone else applying through AMCAS this year as well?

I'm also applying to US med schools this application cycle. A little worried that I won't hear back before heading to Australia end of Jan, but decided to take the chance and apply anyway.

I'm also applying to US med schools this application cycle. A little worried that I won't hear back before heading to Australia end of Jan, but decided to take the chance and apply anyway.
I heard some students go to Australia and then when they hear back from US Schools they move back to the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard some students go to Australia and then when they hear back from US Schools they move back to the US.

I've thought about it. Just worried about making such a big commitment and move, only to come back a few months later. Guess I'll just see how it goes.

It would be a $40k-ish semester for you, and I doubt your US med school would allow you to transfer any credit. Would also be sure to read the contract and make sure they don't stick you with a full year tuition or something like that.

If you haven't applied to US schools before I personally would wait to hear back from them, not start UQO, and if you don't get in send in your UQO application first day of the next cycle. However, it's a personal question that only an individual can decide knowing their circumstances.

What percent of

What percent of the students would you estimate did not enter the match? What happens to the ones who don't?

When do we start hearing back from US MD schools?
I am leaving for UQO in early January. Hopefully I will hear back from at least one school before I leave...

You can have interview invites anytime between late summer all the way to February. After interviews, you hear back in about 2-4 weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Docta21

My class started with 90-95 people, and there were 70 something that entered the match.

A few dropped out in Australia because they didn't like it/couldn't handle being away from home. A few failed a semester and had to redo a year (thus dropping down to the 2017 class). That ALSO happened the opposite way, meaning my class inherited so people who failed a class who were originally class of 2015.

One or two people actually got hard core into research and took a year off to do that at UQ. Also, despite it being more difficult now we had 6 people stay in Australia to pursue their medical careers there.

Unfortunately more than a few people did not pass step 2 in time and therefore could not enter the match. The school makes it very clear that if you don't take step 1 before phase 2 you are shooting yourself the foot, but still a lot of students make that very bad decision, then get behind, and never catch up.

For those that do not match most will try to do research for a year (Ochsner can help with this) and then they will reapply next year. They will most likely try to find a community IM or FM program but if you do not match your first time around it's much harder to match a second. The people who failed a rotation, did not take step 1 or 2 on time, etc who do not enter the match will also be at a significant significant disadvantage when they try to match next year. (If you have any time off in medical school residency will know about it and they will want a really really good explanation as to why).

Other options for those who don't match - someone got a job with firecracker or one of those step studying companies. You can try to get a job with a pharmaceutical company, medical device, etc. Having an MD give you options, but remember you will have that debt hanging over your head no matter what and the job security/compensation if you don't go into residency is scary.

All of this being said, if you put in a modicum of effort and sustain that for 4 years then you should never be in that position of not passing rotations, graduating, and/or matching. There is always an exception to the rule (death in family, your own health problems, etc), but those extreme circumstances obviously do not account for the majority of the 20 or so people who started with my class but did not match with us.

(Just wrote this all on the phone so excuse any weird autocorrect, will go back and edit if I see any)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
No problem. Happy to answer any and all questions.

If you are an "average" student in this program you will have no problem matching into FM, IM, and a few others.

If you want to do a more competitive specialty, or match in a specific location, then you need to be well above average - and even then you will get less opportunities as an IMG. That's the way it is, but the last two matches have shown that plenty of people can overcome it and accomplish their goals.

Does anyone know how long the break is between 1st and 2nd semester. I am trying to get more info for planning to come back to the states for a wedding. Old calendars look like there could be around 2 weeks. Current students- please give feedback on what happens during last couple of weeks of semester- any feedback is appreciated!

Does anyone know how long the break is between 1st and 2nd semester. I am trying to get more info for planning to come back to the states for a wedding. Old calendars look like there could be around 2 weeks. Current students- please give feedback on what happens during last couple of weeks of semester- any feedback is appreciated!

Week 16 is followed by swotvac (revision week), then there are two weeks scheduled for final exams, and a week of vacation before second semester starts. Usually the exams for us are in the first week of the two-week exam period after swotvac, meaning we get two weeks off in between semesters (second exam week + vacation week).

However, having all exams the first week of the two week exam period isn't guaranteed, since the exam schedule is made up centrally by UQ and not specifically by the Faculty of Medicine. So it is possible to get screwed and have nothing the first exam week, exams the second week, and then the week of vacation, but so far that hasn't happened and we've had exams the first exam week and two weeks of vacation before second semester.

Week 16 is followed by swotvac (revision week), then there are two weeks scheduled for final exams, and a week of vacation before second semester starts. Usually the exams for us are in the first week of the two-week exam period after swotvac, meaning we get two weeks off in between semesters (second exam week + vacation week).

However, having all exams the first week of the two week exam period isn't guaranteed, since the exam schedule is made up centrally by UQ and not specifically by the Faculty of Medicine. So it is possible to get screwed and have nothing the first exam week, exams the second week, and then the week of vacation, but so far that hasn't happened and we've had exams the first exam week and two weeks of vacation before second semester

thanks for the information! How far in advance are the exams scheduled?

thanks for the information! How far in advance are the exams scheduled?

We usually get our exam schedule around 4-6 weeks before exams. I'm a second year and we've had all our exams the first week of exam period each time I've taken them, but no guarantees.

So we need to be First aid certified but it seems like it has to meet certain standards and all the recommended list of accredited providers for certification is in Australia.
Which provider are you guys going with to get certified??

They'll take an American certificate. Just go with something they'll recognize as international, like the Red Cross.

They'll take an American certificate. Just go with something they'll recognize as international, like the Red Cross.
Okay good to know!!! I thought i had to go to australia for just that lol....:bucktooth:

Hello.
First Post on SDN

Hey my community college GPA (A.A degree) - 2.71
BS Health Care Admin : 3.61

Predicted MCAT score from Practice Test scores : 504 - 510

Planning to Apply next cycle.( Just want to work for 1 more year and allow my wife to atleast 2 year experience(New RN grad)

1)Will they combine my GPA or use just my BS GPA. I also plan to take Human Anatomy , Physiology and Immunology class FALL 2017 just to Prepare for the program .

2) If i get that MCAT score do I have a shot at this program, I am quit stoked to study medicine in Australia.

3) Does anyone know what my wife's chances are to get a nursing Job while we are there. I know it says spouse of student can work while in Australia.

Congrats to Everyone that got in already.
cheers.

Has anyone been invited to the facebook group yet?

Hi, guys. I have a few questions about the admission process. I tried to read through as much as I can so that I can avoid asking frequently asked questions. Forgive me if these topics have come up before...

1. I read about the gpa weight system Australian schools have (Last year gpa are multiplied by 2, etc). Does UQ do the same for international students?

2. Some people are saying the minimum is 3.0, some are saying 2.7. Which one is it? And is this overall gpa requirement or sgpa?

3. Would applying early October be too late for the 2018 cycle? I was planning on taking the MCAT in September. I don't mind applying for 2019, but I just thought I should ask. I'm aware it's rolling admissions and it depends on the space available. Have anyone had success applying on or after October?

Thanks in advance, guys.

Hi, guys. I have a few questions about the admission process. I tried to read through as much as I can so that I can avoid asking frequently asked questions. Forgive me if these topics have come up before...

1. I read about the gpa weight system Australian schools have (Last year gpa are multiplied by 2, etc). Does UQ do the same for international students?

2. Some people are saying the minimum is 3.0, some are saying 2.7. Which one is it? And is this overall gpa requirement or sgpa?

3. Would applying early October be too late for the 2018 cycle? I was planning on taking the MCAT in September. I don't mind applying for 2019, but I just thought I should ask. I'm aware it's rolling admissions and it depends on the space available. Have anyone had success applying on or after October?

Thanks in advance, guys.
I'm just an applicant at this point, but after calling/emailing everyone at mededpath, I feel like I can offer answers.
1) they don't use weighted GPA. The GPA used is the final one listed on your transcript from your degree granting school.
2) the minimum GPA to be offered an interview is 2.67, and the minimum MCAT is 499. Applicants with a 502 and above are offered acceptances on a rolling basis, and under 502 is further reviewed.
3) they say last year's class was full by September but people were rolling in off the waitlist into october. But, there is the possibility that they can offer an early acceptance to the following years class, and now that the mcat minimum was raised from 499 to 502 who knows how this year's admissions cycle will fill up. But remember, if you take your mcat in September, scores are released in October, and you'd interview sometime in oct or nov, then it takes UQ 6wks to process your application, so you may be late for this cycle since I think orientation starts the end of January.

I'm just an applicant at this point, but after calling/emailing everyone at mededpath, I feel like I can offer answers.
1) they don't use weighted GPA. The GPA used is the final one listed on your transcript from your degree granting school.
2) the minimum GPA to be offered an interview is 2.67, and the minimum MCAT is 499. Applicants with a 502 and above are offered acceptances on a rolling basis, and under 502 is further reviewed.
3) they say last year's class was full by September but people were rolling in off the waitlist into october. But, there is the possibility that they can offer an early acceptance to the following years class, and now that the mcat minimum was raised from 499 to 502 who knows how this year's admissions cycle will fill up. But remember, if you take your mcat in September, scores are released in October, and you'd interview sometime in oct or nov, then it takes UQ 6wks to process your application, so you may be late for this cycle since I think orientation starts the end of January.

Thank you for answering, Zifish! It clears up a lot of my confusion.
So are you saying that the cutoff MCAT score for the 2018 cycle for is 499 but it will go up to 502 in the 2019 cycle? I'm just confused because on on your answer for Q2 you said the minimum was 499 but on Q3 you mentioned that it went up to 502. Or perhaps you meant that last year, applicants with 499 and above were offered acceptances on a rolling basis, and under 499 were further reviewed, instead of 502?

Also, the program's MCAT expectation is increasing every cycle so it's best to get your application in as early as you can. Who knows the interview could also get more selective as well??

Also,
If you apply October it is most likely that the cohort will be full. I applied in October 2016 for the 2017 cohort. I interviewed and my application was complete, but the admissions told me they will not review my application until the next application cycle because 2017 cohort was already full by late October and early November.
The good thing is that if they push you over to the next cycle, you are one of the first to hear back!:D

Also, the program's MCAT expectation is increasing every cycle so it's best to get your application in as early as you can. Who knows the interview could also get more selective as well??

Also,
If you apply October it is most likely that the cohort will be full. I applied in October 2016 for the 2017 cohort. I interviewed and my application was complete, but the admissions told me they will not review my application until the next application cycle because 2017 cohort was already full by late October and early November.
The good thing is that if they push you over to the next cycle, you are one of the first to hear back!:D

Ah, thanks for the info! That's actually really neat. Most schools would just tell you that you're late and you'll have to apply again for the next cycle. It saves a lot of time and energy if they just carry the application over to the next year! I guess I'll be aiming for the 2019 cohort, then. I think that's fine, since there's no guarantee I'll get the score I want on the September MCAT, anyway LOL If it doesn't work out, I'll just take the January one and apply.

Do they let you submit new MCAT scores after your application is in? For example, if I apply around Nov/Dec with a 505 or something, would they let me update the score in Jan/Feb (assuming the score improves LOL) to improve my chances?

Last edited:
Hey, everyone! A little late to this thread, but feel free to ask me any questions you have about the program. I'm currently a third year student there!

Reactions: 3 users
Ah, thanks for the info! That's actually really neat. Most scores would just tell you that you're late and you'll have to apply again for the next cycle. It saves a lot of time and energy if they just carry the application over to the next year! I guess I'll be aiming for the 2019 cohort, then. I think that's fine, since there's no guarantee I'll get the score I want on the September MCAT, anyway LOL If it doesn't work out, I'll just take the January one and apply.

Do they let you submit new MCAT scores after your application is in? For example, if I apply around Nov/Dec with a 505 or something, would they let me update the score in Jan/Feb (assuming the score improves LOL) to improve my chances?

I am almost certain that you can update them with the scores because they asked me to send my mcat code(?) again for the next cycle, which will show all your mcat scores :)

Thank you for answering, Zifish! It clears up a lot of my confusion.
So are you saying that the cutoff MCAT score for the 2018 cycle for is 499 but it will go up to 502 in the 2019 cycle? I'm just confused because on on your answer for Q2 you said the minimum was 499 but on Q3 you mentioned that it went up to 502. Or perhaps you meant that last year, applicants with 499 and above were offered acceptances on a rolling basis, and under 499 were further reviewed, instead of 502?
from what I understand from mededpath, a GPA 2.67+ and a 499-501 mcat gets you an interview, and upon a satisfactory interview, you basically go on a wait list. whereas a GPA of 2.67+ and 502+ mcat and satisfactory interview will receive an acceptance in a first-come-first-served manner. Example: a person with a 2.67 and 502 who is the first applicant on opening day and the first to interview will get an acceptance before someone who applies with a 4.0 and 528 but is the last to apply, since the acceptances are on a rolling basis and don't look at the entire applicant pool before offering acceptances. Why I think you're confused is that this year, the change for the rolling admissions is now a 502 mcat, whereas a 499 gets on a waitlist. Essentially they try to fill the class with 502+ applicants first and then consider the 499-501's after, so that's why I'm not sure how the application cycle this year will go, because a 502+ is a decent mcat for US-DO acceptances. My guess is you'll have 502+ applicants getting acceptances from UQ-O from May-September, and then they'll find out in Oct/Nov that they got a US-DO/MD acceptance and possibly drop UQ-O, which could open spots later into the cycle that didn't happen last year for late applicants.

Ah, thanks for the info! That's actually really neat. Most scores would just tell you that you're late and you'll have to apply again for the next cycle. It saves a lot of time and energy if they just carry the application over to the next year! I guess I'll be aiming for the 2019 cohort, then. I think that's fine, since there's no guarantee I'll get the score I want on the September MCAT, anyway LOL If it doesn't work out, I'll just take the January one and apply.

Yes, I believe they take the highest MCAT score into consideration no matter how many times you took it.

Also, to answer your earlier question. October would be very late to apply. 2 years ago I applied with scores back from a July MCAT in August, interviewed in September and they told me I would be on the waitlist due to a full class. I luckily got off the waitlist in November, but I don't think that is typical. You should go in thinking that if you apply in October its safe to assume you're going in for 2019.

anybody reach out to mededpath recently to see how many spots are remaining?

To update everyone, I received a reply from mededpath and it appears that this cohort is almost halfway full, but only time will tell how quickly the next half fills.

Officially have my COE and now trying to figure out flights and such. If anyone wants to connect, feel free to PM me!

Docta21

My class started with 90-95 people, and there were 70 something that entered the match.

A few dropped out in Australia because they didn't like it/couldn't handle being away from home. A few failed a semester and had to redo a year (thus dropping down to the 2017 class). That ALSO happened the opposite way, meaning my class inherited so people who failed a class who were originally class of 2015.

One or two people actually got hard core into research and took a year off to do that at UQ. Also, despite it being more difficult now we had 6 people stay in Australia to pursue their medical careers there.

Unfortunately more than a few people did not pass step 2 in time and therefore could not enter the match. The school makes it very clear that if you don't take step 1 before phase 2 you are shooting yourself the foot, but still a lot of students make that very bad decision, then get behind, and never catch up.

For those that do not match most will try to do research for a year (Ochsner can help with this) and then they will reapply next year. They will most likely try to find a community IM or FM program but if you do not match your first time around it's much harder to match a second. The people who failed a rotation, did not take step 1 or 2 on time, etc who do not enter the match will also be at a significant significant disadvantage when they try to match next year. (If you have any time off in medical school residency will know about it and they will want a really really good explanation as to why).

Other options for those who don't match - someone got a job with firecracker or one of those step studying companies. You can try to get a job with a pharmaceutical company, medical device, etc. Having an MD give you options, but remember you will have that debt hanging over your head no matter what and the job security/compensation if you don't go into residency is scary.

All of this being said, if you put in a modicum of effort and sustain that for 4 years then you should never be in that position of not passing rotations, graduating, and/or matching. There is always an exception to the rule (death in family, your own health problems, etc), but those extreme circumstances obviously do not account for the majority of the 20 or so people who started with my class but did not match with us.

(Just wrote this all on the phone so excuse any weird autocorrect, will go back and edit if I see any)
If you aren't passing rotations you are either phoning it in or you have some other circumstances that are preventing you from doing it. Honestly it's far easier dealing with rotations than it is dealing with UQ idiocy in Australia. As far as I know from those few that didn't match it wasn't so much that they did poorly but planned very poorly and didn't apply correctly. If you are among the group that didn't even enter the match that is more of a reflection you than the school. It means that either you didn't have the time for whatever reason (family emergency, lack of effort, other unforeseable issues) or you were taking step 2 completely unprepared. If you put in the work you should have no issue getting where you need to. This is from speaking to previous graduates including those that are currently residents at ochsner.

I am in the process of applying to this program right. I have an interview at oschner in August.

Anyone that is going through the program now or just knows these things, I have a few financial questions maybe you could help me with:

1. What can be the expected total cost of attending this program? Can someone break down an estimate for me based on what they are spending?
including tuition, living expenses, air plane tickets, health insurance...etc.

2. Do most of the students at this program have some other means of financial assistance outside of student loans? I cant imagine the amount of debt I would have if I attended this program without some type of financial assistance besides student loans.

3. Is it reasonable to attend this program if you have to take loans for all of your expenses? I have no student debt right now but would be taking loans for the entire program I believe.

Do student loans cover things like plane tickets?

Thank you for the help!

Accepted today!!! :D

This was very fast considering I interviewed last week. Like others said, feel free to pm me if you've been accepted too and would like to get in touch!

My stats: 3.2ish gpa, 511 MCAT

Congrats bud. You'll have a blast

If you aren't passing rotations you are either phoning it in or you have some other circumstances that are preventing you from doing it. Honestly it's far easier dealing with rotations than it is dealing with UQ idiocy in Australia.

I'm not sure what this means to be honest? You deal with 'UQ idiocy' in New Orleans and Australia. The best example I can think of in New Orleans is surgical specialties where a few people fail the ortho test a year.

As far as I know from those few that didn't match it wasn't so much that they did poorly but planned very poorly and didn't apply correctly.

This is one and the same. Med school is not just the accumulation of knowledge but then applying that to real world scenarios. Part of being in the the real world is meeting deadlines, planning in advance. Also it should fall on UQ-Ochsner to help students apply correctly, which sometimes they do a great job with but often times they don't. As an incoming student, you need to know that there is a lot of research and planning that you will need to do on your own - which some people refuse to do or are horrible at doing, and therefore suffer the extreme consequences.

If you are among the group that didn't even enter the match that is more of a reflection you than the school. It means that either you didn't have the time for whatever reason (family emergency, lack of effort, other unforeseable issues) or you were taking step 2 completely unprepared. If you put in the work you should have no issue getting where you need to. This is from speaking to previous graduates including those that are currently residents at ochsner.

I agree and disagree with this at the same time. There is roughly a 10% to 20% attrition rate which, to my understanding, has been pretty constant throughout the years. With that being such a large percentage, I think that's unfair to place all the blame on individuals. Of course there are individual rare circumstances, but you also have to look at how the school accepts students, prepares them, and guides you through the residency matching process.

All of this being said, I completely agree with your last point that if you put in the work you should be able to get where you need to. 100%. My purpose of posting here is just to let people know what they're getting into before they go. Some people thought they would show up and have the medical school hold their hand through the entire process, and that's not the case. These are not all dumb and/or lazy people that don't match, but they are people that have difficulty managing their time.

This program is an awesome opportunity, but you need to be realistic with yourself before you accept your spot.

1. What can be the expected total cost of attending this program? Can someone break down an estimate for me based on what they are spending?
including tuition, living expenses, air plane tickets, health insurance...etc.

2. Do most of the students at this program have some other means of financial assistance outside of student loans? I cant imagine the amount of debt I would have if I attended this program without some type of financial assistance besides student loans.

3. Is it reasonable to attend this program if you have to take loans for all of your expenses? I have no student debt right now but would be taking loans for the entire program I believe.

Do student loans cover things like plane tickets?

It's impossible to answer #1 because there are a million variables. Tuition changes slightly but the most recent number will be on the mededpath website. Rent in Brisbane and New Orleans can vary wildly depending on location, number of roommates, etc. When I got the entire amount of federal loans allowed it was about $30k more than tuition, and I lived very comfortably on that plus having money for a few trips throughout the year while in Aussie and conferences while in New Orleans. Plane tickets are roughly $1000 round trip from Cali to Aussie. Can definitely find them for cheaper though, just have to look way in advance.

#2 - almost everyone I know in the program gets their money 100% from federal loans (unsubsidized stafford loans and grad plus loans). You will rack up one HELL of a student debt coming here, but crazy as it is it's still cheaper than some private US med schools.

#3 - Yes. You can live totally off students loans (unless something has changed). That includes everything. You do have to save (can't eat every meal out and go out regularly) to be able to cover all your step exams, interview expenses, etc.

I'm not sure what this means to be honest? You deal with 'UQ idiocy' in New Orleans and Australia. The best example I can think of in New Orleans is surgical specialties where a few people fail the ortho test a year.

This is one and the same. Med school is not just the accumulation of knowledge but then applying that to real world scenarios. Part of being in the the real world is meeting deadlines, planning in advance. Also it should fall on UQ-Ochsner to help students apply correctly, which sometimes they do a great job with but often times they don't. As an incoming student, you need to know that there is a lot of research and planning that you will need to do on your own - which some people refuse to do or are horrible at doing, and therefore suffer the extreme consequences.

I agree and disagree with this at the same time. There is roughly a 10% to 20% attrition rate which, to my understanding, has been pretty constant throughout the years. With that being such a large percentage, I think that's unfair to place all the blame on individuals. Of course there are individual rare circumstances, but you also have to look at how the school accepts students, prepares them, and guides you through the residency matching process.

All of this being said, I completely agree with your last point that if you put in the work you should be able to get where you need to. 100%. My purpose of posting here is just to let people know what they're getting into before they go. Some people thought they would show up and have the medical school hold their hand through the entire process, and that's not the case. These are not all dumb and/or lazy people that don't match, but they are people that have difficulty managing their time.
This program is an awesome opportunity, but you need to be realistic with yourself before you accept your spot.

Your quote of 10-20 percent attrition rate seems high. My understanding from phase 1 is that roughly 30 students from the 500+ take supplementary exams and that includes the entire class not just the ochsner cohort. So that would mean less than 30 students fail each semester after the supp passing rate is included. Factor in passing after repeating the semester, and it seems that the attrition rate would be far lower than your quoted numbers.