UQ-Ochsner 2018 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a friend who also applied and she's sitting at 503. She's considering on retaking the exam next month. It sounds like a good idea. However, I don't know when exactly we will receive updates to our application. Im not sure if that email we got means our applications would be considered only at the very last month of the cycle or after each batch. So, if I retake it in June, I wouldn't get the results until July. I wouldn't want to spend money on the MCAT only to get the decision before I get my new MCAT results back.

Ugh I take it back. I'm actually really really sad. Not "a little sad." haha
lol paying for the MCAT is going to be a drop in bucket if you're going to UQO.
what matters more to you? the risk of not getting in v.s. effort and cost of a re-sit?
I lost track long ago of how many 'small' unexpected costs came up here and there, on top of the really annoying 'inconveniences'. which going to be the rest of the life in this career. most of the time I end up just copping it. but that's me.

decisions
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also - what jdawg said. Some really good advice.

Lol. "JDawg".
Reminds me of Yo Dawg
a41fb863db719662db7dea6d7aa6b6a5.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don't give up! If I were in this situation, I would hope for the best on UQ-O program and in the meantime, study my butt off for the June or July MCAT. Get a decent MCAT score and apply to US MD schools and DO schools, which is the better option to go if accepted, than UQ-O honestly :)
When I first took my MCAT I didn't even have a 500. It's really embarrassing
lol paying for the MCAT is going to be a drop in bucket if you're going to UQO.
what matters more to you? risk of not getting v.s. effort and cost of a re-sit?
I lost track long ago of how many 'small' unexpected costs came up here and there. on top of really annoying 'inconveniences'. this going to be the rest of the life in this career. most of the time I end up just copping it. but that's me.

decisions
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also - what jdawg said. Some really good advice.

Lol. "JDawg".
Reminds me of Yo Dawg
a41fb863db719662db7dea6d7aa6b6a5.jpg

Yeah you and @jdawgydawg are right. When you put it that way, it puts more perspective. So.... I guess back to MCAT studies again

Messed up my earlier reply and don't know how to fix it from my phone. But this was my original reply:

Yeah you and @jdawgydawg are right. When you put it that way, it puts more perspective. So.... I guess back to MCAT studies again

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little sad. I just meet the minimum MCAT at 500. The email we got today however says that MCAT scores above 504 are being considered and will receive acceptance on a rolling basis. The ones below are being held for continued consideration. I guess it safe to say I don't have a chance and should move on? My only advantage was my early application. :(

@stdavisdr @kkj Don't give up hope. A lot of the 504+ applicants will most likely get offers somewhere else as well, so you definitely have a shot once people move on, a lot apply here as a backup. I'm not sure what the applicant profile is for this year, but I got in with a 500 two years ago. I think the school is most likely just trying to take the strongest applicants it can now because there is a correlation with MCAT score and step1 score and they want us to do well on step1 (they have had issues in the past with people not taking it on time and not being prepared for it) so they figure a higher score on the MCAT is predictive of good standardized test taking skills, that and maybe the program's profile is getting stronger year to year.

But don't give up hope on that acceptance!

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone interested, I interviewed in March and got this email yesterday:

"We are pleased to inform you that the entrance requirements for the February 2018 cohort have been confirmed by the University of Queensland Faculty of Medicine.

Your application meets the requirements for the 2018 cohort and has been sent to the University of Queensland for review. Decisions will be issued on a rolling basis until the class is filled. We expect to hear back with a decision in 6-8 weeks, at which time I will contact you promptly."

Congrats to those who got in!

For those who got the email about MCAT scores at 504 being considered first, could someone copy and paste it for us? I'm curious as to what their official statement was.

Congrats to those who got in!

For those who got the email about MCAT scores at 504 being considered first, could someone copy and paste it for us? I'm curious as to what their official statement was.

I think it was copied and pasted on the comment above you.

Hi everyone,

I've read through this thread in hopes of finding some tips on the interview (via Skype). I am interviewing tomorrow and, admittedly, I am becoming increasingly anxious. While I have reviewed the domains and spoken with a MedEd advisor, I am still stressing about the vagueness of potential questions pertaining to the domains covered.

Could anyone offer any resources/tips/advice on the interview (other than what has already been presented)? I.e. Links to good medical school questions to practice/videos/etc. It would be greatly appreciated!

Note: I've searched for sample medical school questions; however, the examples I find seem to be out of scope for UQ-O's 5 domains. Looking to add some context to these domains...

Again, any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I've read through this thread in hopes of finding some tips on the interview (via Skype). I am interviewing tomorrow and, admittedly, I am becoming increasingly anxious. While I have reviewed the domains and spoken with a MedEd advisor, I am still stressing about the vagueness of potential questions pertaining to the domains covered.

Could anyone offer any resources/tips/advice on the interview (other than what has already been presented)? I.e. Links to good medical school questions to practice/videos/etc. It would be greatly appreciated!

Note: I've searched for sample medical school questions; however, the examples I find seem to be out of scope for UQ-O's 5 domains. Looking to add some context to these domains...

Again, any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Don't overthink it too much.

They tell you the five domains, or they should have linked you to a YouTube video showing the domains. If you've spoken to MedEdPath, you should probably be pretty well prepared. Come up with examples for each of the domains - the more examples the better, and just realize that since it's a semi-structured interview, it's not that conversational, and your interviewers (there should be two) will not respond to your comments one way or another, so it may be hard to gauge how you are doing.

Other than that, I don't think anyone can comment specifically, since I'm pretty sure we all signed a NDA or something to that effect.

Best of luck to you!

Can we hear more from people who have gotten in and your numbers? Also, anyone interview and not get in so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we hear more from people who have gotten in and your numbers? Also, anyone interview and not get in so far?

I recently was accepted & 504 mcat, 3.78 gpa with 3.8 science gpa :)

did anyone that interviewed in feb or march this year get accepted?

I interviewed in February. I got this email on May 5th:

""We are pleased to inform you that the entrance requirements for the February 2018 cohort have been confirmed by the University of Queensland Faculty of Medicine.
Your application meets the requirements for the 2018 cohort and has been sent to the University of Queensland for review. Decisions will be issued on a rolling basis until the class is filled. We expect to hear back with a decision in 6-8 weeks, at which time I will contact you promptly."

I'm still waiting for an answer, I'm really hoping they get back to me before 6 weeks.

Scratch that just got my acceptance email 5 minutes ago!

Reactions: 3 users
Everyone in this thread with an acceptance has competitive stats! Are any of you still planning to apply to US MD/DO this cycle or have you chosen to accept the acceptance to UQ-Ochsner?

Everyone in this thread with an acceptance has competitive stats! Are any of you still planning to apply to US MD/DO this cycle or have you chosen to accept the acceptance to UQ-Ochsner?
I'm still applying to other US MD schools! I recently retook the MCAT to be a stronger applicant:happy::xf:
But I am also paying the deposit to secure the spot for UQ...;)

I'm currently waitlisted at a few school in the us. If I don't get off I'm heading to Australia. I'm paying my deposit now just in case

For my stats I had a 3.4 and a 514

Was just offered a seat in the 2018 entering class!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got accepted.
Interview via Skype April 20
MCAT 513
GPA 3.0
Applied US this round, a few interviews, no acceptances, looks like it's going to stay that way.

For anyone else that has been accepted or will be accepted and soon, what will you be up to until February? Do people go early to do research at UQ? I found the Facebook page, who is in charge of it, current students in our class or those above us? Where are you guys going to live? Let me know how things proceed from here on out. We got to stick together more so than other US students.

Also when do we know if we get into St. Lucia/Ipswich?

Last edited:
How long from everyone's interview did they receive their acceptance/denial? Email says 6-8 weeks for a decision; curious as to whether it came earlier.

Last edited:
Just got accepted.
MCAT 513
GPA 3.0
Applied US this round, a few interviews, no acceptances, looks like it's going to stay that way.

For anyone else that has been accepted or will be accepted and soon, what will you be up to until February? Do people go early to do research at UQ? I found the Facebook page, who is in charge of it, current students in our class or those above us? Where are you guys going to live? Let me know how things proceed from here on out. We got to stick together more so than other US students.

Hey - currently a 2nd year here. I haven't really heard of people coming early to do research at UQ. Some people come over early (like early January or December maybe), but they usually just travel and explore Brisbane & Australia. Most people arrive 1-3 weeks before orientation, which is the first week in February as you most likely know, to go on inspections and find a place to live (+/- roommate(s)), set up utilities, set up banking, and figure out their way around. There are class specific Facebook pages for both the greater cohort, and the Ochsner cohort within the class, so the most recent entering class is UQ MD Class of 2020 & UQ-Ochsner Class of 2020. Your class would be 2021.

Regarding where to live, I'd check the previous UQ-Ochsner threads, or possibly earlier in this thread. First year, most of your scheduled lectures, practicals, and CBLs will be at St. Lucia, aside from your clinical coaching and pathology tutorials, so some people like to live in St. Lucia for that reason. Second year, most of your timetabled stuff is at your clinical site, e.g. Royal Brisbane & Women's Hospital, Princess Alexandra Hospital, or Mater Adult Hospital. Public transportation is generally good, so there are a lot of options to choose where to live, but it's arguably easier if you live somewhere along the 66 bus route, as that covers St. Lucia, PAH, Mater, and RBWH.

Hey - currently a 2nd year here. I haven't really heard of people coming early to do research at UQ. Some people come over early (like early January or December maybe), but they usually just travel and explore Brisbane & Australia. Most people arrive 1-3 weeks before orientation, which is the first week in February as you most likely know, to go on inspections and find a place to live (+/- roommate(s)), set up utilities, set up banking, and figure out their way around. There are class specific Facebook pages for both the greater cohort, and the Ochsner cohort within the class, so the most recent entering class is UQ MD Class of 2020 & UQ-Ochsner Class of 2020. Your class would be 2021.

Regarding where to live, I'd check the previous UQ-Ochsner threads, or possibly earlier in this thread. First year, most of your scheduled lectures, practicals, and CBLs will be at St. Lucia, aside from your clinical coaching and pathology tutorials, so some people like to live in St. Lucia for that reason. Second year, most of your timetabled stuff is at your clinical site, e.g. Royal Brisbane & Women's Hospital, Princess Alexandra Hospital, or Mater Adult Hospital. Public transportation is generally good, so there are a lot of options to choose where to live, but it's arguably easier if you live somewhere along the 66 bus route, as that covers St. Lucia, PAH, Mater, and RBWH.
Do people usually get roommates or suitemates?? I haven't lived with someone since freshman year so that kind of makes me nervous....

Just got accepted.
MCAT 513
GPA 3.0

There is no Ipswich campus anymore. Everyone is at St. Lucia. No one goes early to do research, they go 1-3 weeks early like @akinetopsia said to get themselves set up.

@jdawgydawg this isn't college anymore haha, "roommates" is just a broader term that classmates will use when they want to live together with others either in a 2, 3, 4 bedroom apartment or house to cut down on cost. No one shares a room anymore haha. If you feel more comfortable in your own place, there are plenty of 1 bedroom apartments around too, they will just be pricier. Most ochsners are concentrated in the south bank and west end area. A few others in Toowong, CBD, and Woolangabba, and of course some in St Lucia. Best advice is arrive first and get a feel for the different areas before committing to a place to live, maybe talk to some people on the fb page who are also looking to share a place to live. Cheers.

Reactions: 2 users
just got accepted! 3.3, 511, march interview

Reactions: 2 users
Can any current UQ/OCS students comment on their experience with the clinical school preference in AUS? What is it like at Mater vs Royal Brisbane vs Princess Alexandria? Which is better if I wish to do a specialty residency (ortho vs gen surg, etc). I'm going through the descriptions on the UQ website now, but I would love to hear anecdotes. Please go into as much detail as you can. Thanks!

Specifically, which is closest to the St. Lucia campus?

Last edited:
Can any current UQ/OCS students comment on their experience with the clinical school preference in AUS? What is it like at Mater vs Royal Brisbane vs Princess Alexandria? Which is better if I wish to do a specialty residency (ortho vs gen surg, etc). I'm going through the descriptions on the UQ website now, but I would love to hear anecdotes. Please go into as much detail as you can. Thanks!

Princess Alexandira is the closest to the St. Lucia campus. TBH I think they're all fairly similar. All lectures are recorded and uploaded within a few hours so I would say less than 30% of people go to lecture. My point is don't base your decision assuming you'll be on campus all day.

It really doesn't matter which you clinical school you pick, the experience is the roughly the same regardless for first year.

You're there for roughly 2 hours per week for your clinical coaching, where you have a group of about 10 students with a tutor (physician), and you learn history taking and physical examination skills on your peers under the guidance of your tutor. You're also there another 2 hours or so the weeks in which you have a pathology tutorial.

If you pick RBWH, you're there for clinical coaching and pathology tutorials.

If you pick PAH, you're there for clinical coaching and pathology tutorials.

If you pick Mater, you're there for clinical coaching and you go to PAH or RBWH for pathology tutorials.

As the previous poster said, first year lectures are at St. Lucia, and they're all recorded, and most are streamed as well (95%). Second year lectures are available streaming or delivered at whatever clinical site is convenient for the lecturer (usually PAH or RBWH/Herston).

PAH has a Starbucks in the lobby. Some people like that. Regardless of clinical site, you'll have to go to RBWH/Herston when you have DVD recordings as that's where the simulation center is by the UQ Health Sciences building - first semester you have a peer history/interview DVD recording, and second semester you have a history/interview DVD recording with a standardized patient.

Second year is a little bit different, because you have clinical coaching on the wards seeing actual patients with your tutor (physician, usually an intern or advanced trainee/registrar) and portfolio assignments to do, which you means you spend more time on the wards at your clinical site seeing patients with a classmate or two.

All are on the 66 Bus line. None of it matters for residency. All classes are recorded, you only need to attend tutorials/CBL/clinical coaching. PA has Starbucks, RBWH has a coffee place + Subway. PA/RBWH close their CBL rooms ~7pm, Mater gives you 24hr access. PA is next to the school, Mater is in the city, RBWH is on the other side in Bowen Hills (where I lived for 2 years).

In your first 2 years the hospital doesn't matter-- you are just learning the basic knowledge so strength of hospital in certain depts doesn't matter (all are good) . You generally have a preference based on where you live so it becomes more of an issue 2nd year when you are living in certain parts of town and want to make things easy for yourself (altho the commute isn't bad on any since they are all on the 66 line).

Many people switch hospitals after a year, many also stay at the same one. I personally don't like RBWH as much because its such a big campus. But other people like it. Mater only takes 50 students in each year so it's nice in that its small and has a brand new CBL building for students (PA and RB take 250 each)

NIB oshc was about half the price of UQs recommended one and covers the same. Haven't had an issue using it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

We can't use credit cards for the $3000 tuition deposit...? and we have to pay for insurance with the tuition deposit to hold our seats? Oooof how am I going to come up with $6000 in 42 days haha

Just got accepted!

Although, why do we need 51 months of oversea coverage for 3k if we're only there for 2 years?

Just got accepted!

Although, why do we need 51 months of oversea coverage for 3k if we're only there for 2 years?

Because your student visa is for 4 years and you need coverage for the length of your visa. Your student visa covers 4 years because of the rotation you do in 4th year back in Aus.

Your student visa covers 4 years because of the rotation you do in 4th year back in Aus.

I was told (from the dean via the orientation video) that this part of the program will likely be phased out.

I was told (from the dean via the orientation video) that this part of the program will likely be phased out.

They have been trying to do away with the 4th year Australia rotation (along with the extra 1st year observership) but this has not happened yet. It is an issue with accreditation trough the Australian government and not UQ, so it has been an ongoing battle. Ochsner has made several proposals to the accrediting body, but none have been accepted to date.

Just got accepted!

There are other options than what the school recommends. I paid around $1400 for 4 years. You also can apply for a refund for the two years you aren't in Australia during 4th year.

We can't use credit cards for the $3000 tuition deposit...? and we have to pay for insurance with the tuition deposit to hold our seats? Oooof how am I going to come up with $6000 in 42 days haha

You can pay for the OSHC on a credit card, just not the tuition deposit (you can pay for tuition on a credit card, however).

They have been trying to do away with the 4th year Australia rotation (along with the extra 1st year observership) but this has not happened yet. It is an issue with accreditation trough the Australian government and not UQ, so it has been an ongoing battle. Ochsner has made several proposals to the accrediting body, but none have been accepted to date.

Adding to what jb271 said, it's been an ongoing battle for at least 4-5 years.
I really wouldn't hold your breath that it will change anytime soon. Great if it does for UQO, but don't expect that it will in your time.

Most UQO students end up using that rotation in Australia to study for the Step 2 if they can time it well. Those not interested in say surgery, will aim to get surg spec (4th year surg rotation) back in Australia as it's far less demanding on time than a surgical rotation in the US.
Just try not to have that Australian rotation as the final rotation of your time in medical school - because it will collide with interview season with how the Australian school year is.