UQ-Ochsner 2017 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed recently. This school would be my top choice for a number of reasons. Does anyone have any idea if they're still accepting applicants this cycle? Has anyone recently been accepted?

The FB group has about 100 fewer people than last year's -- not sure if that means anything since the school year hasn't started yet.

I wouldn't take the facebook groups as any indication of class size. 2019 has a lot of upper class students in it and 2020 has at least 30 current students from my quick perusal of it just now. I believe my 2019 Cohort of Ochsner students is around 120.

Members don't see this ad.

This question might be naive, but I am confused as the degree we receive upon graduation..is the MD considered from the US when we apply for residencies in the US? Or will be seen as international students ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your MD degree will be from Univ of Queensland.

Any thoughts on clinical school preference? I don't know how to determine which one is best for me.

Any thoughts on clinical school preference? I don't know how to determine which one is best for me.

Trolling through the last few pages of last year's forum might help answer a lot of questions. We had some great responses from upper classmen.

Clinical school placement should be based on where you want to live. They cut our clinical experience this year, meaning no patient contact first semester. I think we are allowed in the hospital this semester, but we're already at mid-sems... So, don't choose based on patient contact. You're really just sitting in a room talking/practicing on classmates.

I might be wrong on this, but there's a few required skill days that might only function out of Royal Brisbane because they have the teaching facilities (DVD recordings) so you'll be there a few days regardless. RBWH is a massive campus with the huge Pathology lab, multiple libraries, and you can steal the lux rooms in the Dental lounge to study in. I like RB, but I bet I'd like PA just as much if I lived in West End/Dutton Park.

Most, if not all, of your Y2 clinical skills workshops are at RBWH (Eyes, PIVC, Venepuncture, BLS, ALS, DVDs for breaking bad news and history, and I am probably missing a bunch of others), the exception this year was the Women's and Men's Health exams that was held at Mater. PA/TRI rooms are nice because they have controlled access, but RBWH is just fine too. It just depends where you live. I posted about this in detail in previous threads. If you don't care about going to class, don't even bother living near St. Lucia, it costs way to much. It also only matters during Y2 where you live if you want to shorten the commute 2-3x a week. You can be at Mater, PA, or RBWH for CC and CBL in Y2. You don't see patients Y1. I don't think you ever did, and I don't recall seeing any last year. All of Y2 is seeing patients though, which is pretty good.

how often during Y1 would you say we have to dress professionally? Is there ever a dress code?

how often during Y1 would you say we have to dress professionally? Is there ever a dress code?
No dress code. I wear gym pants and t-shirts to basically everything. The only time you need to dress professionally is for the video recordings of the history in Y1. They also tell you to dress in clinical dress for the clinical exams like neuro, GI, MSK, etc, but after the first one, you realize that someone has to be the patient so you all just end up wearing gym clothes.

Reactions: 1 user
Most, if not all, of your Y2 clinical skills workshops are at RBWH (Eyes, PIVC, Venepuncture, BLS, ALS, DVDs for breaking bad news and history, and I am probably missing a bunch of others), the exception this year was the Women's and Men's Health exams that was held at Mater. PA/TRI rooms are nice because they have controlled access, but RBWH is just fine too. It just depends where you live. I posted about this in detail in previous threads. If you don't care about going to class, don't even bother living near St. Lucia, it costs way to much. It also only matters during Y2 where you live if you want to shorten the commute 2-3x a week. You can be at Mater, PA, or RBWH for CC and CBL in Y2. You don't see patients Y1. I don't think you ever did, and I don't recall seeing any last year. All of Y2 is seeing patients though, which is pretty good.

how did you get CBL and CC at the hospital? Chance? I would LOVE to never have to go to St.Lucia if I could help it. They are changing next year so that CBL is on friday's, so it will blow even harder if i have to go out there in the middle of my 3-day weekend.

how did you get CBL and CC at the hospital? Chance? I would LOVE to never have to go to St.Lucia if I could help it. They are changing next year so that CBL is on friday's, so it will blow even harder if i have to go out there in the middle of my 3-day weekend.
You preference your hospital at the end of Y1. I selected RBWH. Almost everyone tries to get PA for some reason but there is literally no reason to be on St Lucia Y2, so I saw no reason to even go there (plus I live right next to RBWH). As far as CC goes, you'll get placed at your hospital you preferenced (RBWH, Mater, PA) + maybe but not always Prince Charles. Fortunately all of my CC was at RBWH. CBL is on floor 2 of the UQ Health Sciences Building - all of those rooms with the sliding glass doors that you see us studying in when you go to do your DVD review for history taking or if you ever go down to the 2nd floor after being on the 4th floor for CC. PA has CBL in the TRI.

And yeah, Y1 is Monday/Thursday, Y2 is Tuesday/Friday. Honestly it doesn't really matter when all you do is have 6 hours of commitment per week for UQ related stuff and the rest you can do on your own.

Not sure if someone asked this on here before, but do you guys think getting an iPad would be a good investment for classes?
I was considering the iPad Pro 9.7 but I've read on other threads that an iPad mini would be more useful in 3rd and 4th years...would that also be true for us?

Just got accepted this morning!!! which clinical school did you all choose?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if someone asked this on here before, but do you guys think getting an iPad would be a good investment for classes?
I was considering the iPad Pro 9.7 but I've read on other threads that an iPad mini would be more useful in 3rd and 4th years...would that also be true for us?

Scroll back and read the comments. I really, really love my ipad pro (large) + pencil + keyboard (you need all three to make it super amazing and functional). That being said, it won't replace a laptop. Certain things just aren't support by a mobile app. Streaming the lectures for one. But in general, my ipad pro + OneNote has been a godsend for classes and portability. Literally all of my texts, lectures, and notes are on one device that I can split screen and work on simultaneously. The ability to physically hand write notes without 'zooming' or any other BS was the deal breaker for any device. I wanted it to be as close to paper as I could get, and it is.

Naturally, you'll find a couple people who say it didn't work for them, and that's cool too.

Scroll back and read the comments. I really, really love my ipad pro (large) + pencil + keyboard (you need all three to make it super amazing and functional). That being said, it won't replace a laptop. Certain things just aren't support by a mobile app. Streaming the lectures for one. But in general, my ipad pro + OneNote has been a godsend for classes and portability. Literally all of my texts, lectures, and notes are on one device that I can split screen and work on simultaneously. The ability to physically hand write notes without 'zooming' or any other BS was the deal breaker for any device. I wanted it to be as close to paper as I could get, and it is.

Naturally, you'll find a couple people who say it didn't work for them, and that's cool too.
Thanks! That's really helpful!
What about what I heard about an iPad mini being useful during clinicals in 3rd and 4th year?

Hey everyone, does anyone have a weekly schedule break down of what classes + PBL looks like. Just trying to organize the scheduling in my head. Thanks

Hey everyone, does anyone have a weekly schedule break down of what classes + PBL looks like. Just trying to organize the scheduling in my head. Thanks

For EVERY first year each week:
Monday: morning CBL 2h + afternoon Lectures 4h
Tuesday: 8am Lectures 2h + (variable)
Wednesday: (variable)
Thursday: 8am Lectures 2h; CBL 2h
Friday: 8am Lectures 2h + (variable)

And depending on which group you are in you'll be scheduled for these classes on various days (either Tuesday, Wednesday or Friday):
Clinical coaching: 2 h/week - located at the clinical school rather than St Lucia campus.
Anatomy lab: 2 h/week
Pathology tute: 2 h approximately every 3 weeks - located at the clinical school rather than St Lucia campus.
Histology tute: 2 h approximately every 3 weeks
Physiology tute: 2 h approximately every 3 weeks (depends on the module)
Radiology tute: 2 h per module (approx every 6 weeks)

There are sometimes additional scheduled activities for various miscellaneous things, e.g. taking blood pressure, but these are one off classes.

Also there may be at least 2 hours of online lectures per week.

Year 2 - CBL 2x a week T/F mornings. Clinical coaching basically up to when your doctor is available in hospital. Yep, that's it. I think there's like lecture or something Monday mornings, and maybe some more spread out through mid week. Ain't got no time for that.

Year 2 - CBL 2x a week T/F mornings. Clinical coaching basically up to when your doctor is available in hospital. Yep, that's it. I think there's like lecture or something Monday mornings, and maybe some more spread out through mid week. Ain't got no time for that.

What about Anatomy pracs? They seem to be cracking down on attendance.

And Hopeful123, I couldn't tell you about how useful a mini is during clinical. I'm not there yet :)

Scroll back a page and I wrote a detailed response about this. Basically first year it doesn't matter because you are only there an average of 1-2 x a week for CC and sometimes path. Bottom line is that everyone likes where they end up. Everyone can change their mind and preference a different hospital second year. Choose a clinical school based on where you live if you need to decide. Granted that is tough before you figure out living situations, but Brisbane is small enough where it's never going to be that much of a pain in the ass to get to first year. If you are thinking of living close to campus in Saint Lucia then PA is probably your best bet. If you are thinking of living more in the city area then Royal might be better. Honestly they are all good. I'm at PA and I like it, but I've had history taking at Royal, and I've studied with friends at Mater so I've been to them all.

I've never liked the mini. I like my 9.7 inch pro though. Bigger screen to read off of, pencil support to write stuff, etc. I find it useful, but its not a requirement by any means.

hey guys, I'm looking at applying for 2018 cohort. Do they look at science gpa or just your overall gpa? Should I bother applying with a 3.02 cGPA?

hey guys, I'm looking at applying for 2018 cohort. Do they look at science gpa or just your overall gpa? Should I bother applying with a 3.02 cGPA?

I think they just look at overall and then just as a minimum. Apply and see what happens. I think the MCAT score is more important to them anyway.

Is the application for the 2017 class still open? According to their website (http://www.mededpath.org/admissions.html#Application Timeline), applications are still being accepted, but there are only three more interview dates that are coming up. Do I still have time to get all my transcripts and mail everything in?

according to the presentation last night, the 2017 class is full. They are accepting applications for 2018

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I wasn't able to watch the presentation last night.
according to the presentation last night, the 2017 class is full. They are accepting applications for 2018

I wasn't able to watch the presentation last night. Does anyone know if it was recorded?

I wasn't able to watch the presentation last night.

I wasn't able to watch the presentation last night. Does anyone know if it was recorded?

yes it was recorded. check on the mep webpage or send them an email and they can provide a link to it

Don't do it
You just posted this same remarkably unhelpful comment on the Atlantic Bridge and Duke-NUS threads. Care to explain, or are you simply trolling?

You just posted this same remarkably unhelpful comment on the Atlantic Bridge and Duke-NUS threads. Care to explain, or are you simply trolling?
its a bad idea

For those of you with an iPad pro, what made you decide between that and the Surface pro 4?

For those of you with an iPad pro, what made you decide between that and the Surface pro 4?

Apple > Microsoft

In reality though, it's a personal preference. I prefer Apple products because they are more reliable, have better apps, and have great continuity. Haven't had as good of luck with MS. Either one will get the job done though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are you currently using a surface pro?

I would agree with your opinion, but the apps on the iPad that are medically relevant such as visible body and complete anatomy are better on the iOS system. but everything under the hood is much better on the SP4 aside from the screen.

I'm currently playing around with an iPad pro, and i like it, but for the money the SP4 looks like a better investment. I just wanted peoples opinions with the SP4 since most use the ipad.

Plenty of both around here, be mindful that the SP4 battery doesn't last as long as the iPad so take that into consideration if that matters to you. I have an iPad pro and I always make fun of a guy in my CBL for running out of battery on his SP4. To me I like staying in apples ecosystem as I have an iPhone and Mac so that drove my purchasing decision.

The SP4 is a computer that can function as a tablet. the iPad is just a tablet so you'll need a computer as well. The iPad has been great for me but I already had a good computer so I didn't need it to replace my laptop.

Completely different purchasing decisions based on your needs.

Plenty of both around here, be mindful that the SP4 battery doesn't last as long as the iPad so take that into consideration if that matters to you. I have an iPad pro and I always make fun of a guy in my CBL for running out of battery on his SP4. To me I like staying in apples ecosystem as I have an iPhone and Mac so that drove my purchasing decision.

The SP4 is a computer that can function as a tablet. the iPad is just a tablet so you'll need a computer as well. The iPad has been great for me but I already had a good computer so I didn't need it to replace my laptop.

Completely different purchasing decisions based on your needs.

That's a good point about the battery and staying within the ecosystem. I have a fully spec'd out MacBook, so I won't be replacing my laptop for a little while.

Is there anything you feel you the iPad pro could've done better?

Thank you

That's a good point about the battery and staying within the ecosystem. I have a fully spec'd out MacBook, so I won't be replacing my laptop for a little while.

Thank you
I have both an iPad and a MBP that literally has everything in it you could buy. I found the iPad useful for bringing in to the anatomy lab, but not a 500 dollar convenience. I could have just printed the anatomy notes. The iPad ended up staying in my bag 95% of the time, or just at home. I guess it depends if you want to handwrite notes onto the powerpoint slides or not with the iPad Pro Pencil. If you don't need to do that, then it's probably not worth it to get one.

The iPad ended up staying in my bag 95% of the time, or just at home. I guess it depends if you want to handwrite notes onto the powerpoint slides or not with the iPad Pro Pencil.

yeah that's my worry as well. I'm getting the iPad pro mostly to go paperless, have all my files on one device, and readily handwrite notes on the apps. How have people found using the pencil to handwrite notes in class? Is it as quick as using a pen/pencil?

yeah that's my worry as well. I'm getting the iPad pro mostly to go paperless, have all my files on one device, and readily handwrite notes on the apps. How have people found using the pencil to handwrite notes in class? Is it as quick as using a pen/pencil?

I use the iPad Pro 12" with pencil and keyboard and am completely paperless. All of my textbooks, notes, PowerPoints, lecture videos, etc are all digital. I find the quality of my notes are better on the iPad than paper and pen, and easily just as fast. I use notability, which syncs all of my notes between my iPhone, MBP, and iPad so no matter where I'm at I have access to everything. It also records audio for those lectures that aren't recorded. It may not be for everyone, but I wouldn't go back to handwriting notes and carrying textbooks for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you

Not really, I like everything it does, but be aware I'm not really a power user. I like the convenience of solely bringing my iPad to class and pracs to keep the weight down in my bag. I usually don't take too many notes in class so I just use the pencil to occasionally jot down notes on the slides. I find it useful in Clinical Coaching for having the physical exam checklist readily available when we practice our clinical exams and I like it in anatomy and path so I can just have the notes up on the iPad without worrying about bringing my computer. For CBL I only bring my iPad as I just need a screen in front of me with the case up as we discuss it.

This allows me to keep my laptop at home where it functions more as a "desktop" or I'll bring it when I know that I'll be somewhere for several hours studying and I need to type etc. Just gives me more flexibility because I don't need a fully functioning laptop most of the time.

I also like it for dual screen purposes as I'll usually listen to lectures at home on my laptop and then mark up the slides on my iPad simultaneously.

*But the SP4 is certainly popular here as I'm sure it is at most med schools so you wouldn't be out of place with either one. And the majority of students still do just fine getting by with just a laptop so it is by no means necessary, just convenient to have a tablet.

Last edited:
Has there already been a page started for those who have been accepted? I am currently going to try to start looking for people to meet up in early January. If there hasn't I think I am going to start a page.

Hello Guys,

I hope to apply for UQ-O next year for 2018 entering class. Would it be too late if I apply late May? I signed up for MCAT for April 22nd, but if I see spots open earlier, I am going to take that spot.