UQ-Ochsner 2017 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ah I didn't know that, already did my fafsa.. I think you can specify what time you are applying for the fafsa.. for like feb-nov 2017.. Hope it's not an issue

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys

What's the gpa cut offs for UQ-O?
I have 2.89 I believe in amcas scale.

What MCAT would be good to get into this school?

Thank you!

Hey guys

What's the gpa cut offs for UQ-O?
I have 2.89 I believe in amcas scale.

What MCAT would be good to get into this school?

Thank you!

This is from mededpath:

For MCAT tests taken between February 2014 and February 2015, the minimum MCAT score for 2017 entry is a 26 with no lower than an 8 in any one section.

For MCAT 2015+ tests taken April 2015 and after, the minimum MCAT 2015+ score for 2017 entry is a cumulative score of 499 with no minimum requirement for any one section.

A "B" average in a bachelor’s or more advanced degree, earned no more than 10 years before the start of classes (from February 2007 on for February 2017 entry).

The "B" average is around a 2.67 according to the how to apply video. They look at your latest degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is from mededpath:

For MCAT tests taken between February 2014 and February 2015, the minimum MCAT score for 2017 entry is a 26 with no lower than an 8 in any one section.

For MCAT 2015+ tests taken April 2015 and after, the minimum MCAT 2015+ score for 2017 entry is a cumulative score of 499 with no minimum requirement for any one section.

A "B" average in a bachelor’s or more advanced degree, earned no more than 10 years before the start of classes (from February 2007 on for February 2017 entry).

The "B" average is around a 2.67 according to the how to apply video. They look at your latest degree.
I appreciate t very much. I couldn't tell what the B average was. Thought it was 3.0. Now I'm a little hopeful. You made my day

Ah I didn't know that, already did my fafsa.. I think you can specify what time you are applying for the fafsa.. for like feb-nov 2017.. Hope it's not an issue

I did my FAFSA as well, partly because I had it already filled out for another school I had been planning to attend in August until I got the acceptance from UQ-O. I just submitted a FAFSA correction less than a week ago to reflect UQ-O. I am also wondering if we would have to submit a 2016-2017 FAFSA or a 2017-2018 FAFSA. From What I understand there were some changes that are supposed to take effect with the FAFSA process this year, like being able to submit in October rather than January for the upcoming year.

Last edited:
I appreciate t very much. I couldn't tell what the B average was. Thought it was 3.0. Now I'm a little hopeful. You made my day
The 2.67 is the bare minimum for them to even consider your application, in your situation I would still aim for a higher than average MCAT though, 505+ at least, especially if you want to attend this upcoming year, you're in that part of the cycle where you are competing with the early summer MCAT taking cohort, so spots will be getting more and more competitive over the next few months.

The 2.67 is the bare minimum for them to even consider your application, in your situation I would still aim for a higher than average MCAT though, 505+ at least, especially if you want to attend this upcoming year, you're in that part of the cycle where you are competing with the early summer MCAT taking cohort, so spots will be getting more and more competitive over the next few months.

When is the application cycle open and end? Thanks for the advice. I will get my app submitted as soon as possible

When is the application cycle open and end? Thanks for the advice. I will get my app submitted as soon as possible

The application cycle started this past December, it is rolling admissions so it doesn't really "end", they just try to fill up the class with qualified students as soon as they can. From what I've read, the class filled up in September last year, but because the program is gaining recognition and more and more applicants every year, it seems to fill up earlier and earlier every year; my guess is the class fills up mid-late August at the latest this year. After August, acceptances will probably be going to the waitlist. This is just my guess though as an incoming student, I'm sure some current students who browse this thread have a better idea of the timeline than me.

The application cycle started this past December, it is rolling admissions so it doesn't really "end", they just try to fill up the class with qualified students as soon as they can. From what I've read, the class filled up in September last year, but because the program is gaining recognition and more and more applicants every year, it seems to fill up earlier and earlier every year; my guess is the class fills up mid-late August at the latest this year. After August, acceptances will probably be going to the waitlist. This is just my guess though as an incoming student, I'm sure some current students who browse this thread have a better idea of the timeline than me.

Ah okay... Hmm idk if I should apply now because I don't have MCAT yet. And I want the summer courses to get included in my gpa as well. Or I could just apply and update them later? What do you think? Sorry bothering you

Ah okay... Hmm idk if I should apply now because I don't have MCAT yet. And I want the summer courses to get included in my gpa as well. Or I could just apply and update them later? What do you think? Sorry bothering you

Go ahead and PM me, don't wanna spam the thread.

You can't apply before you have an MCAT score. Or rather, it won't make a difference because they won't look at your application until it is complete. Also, the answers you seek, like GPA and MCAT score can easily be found on the website.

Reactions: 1 users
Do we have classes mainly at the st Lucia campus or the herston campus?
And how are you guys deciding which clinical school preference to give?

Do we have classes mainly at the st Lucia campus or the herston campus?
And how are you guys deciding which clinical school preference to give?

All lectures are at St. Lucia. The only time you are at Herston is if you choose RBWH as your clinical school. The other two clinical schools are PA and Mater. It really doesn't matter which one you pick. Everyone ends up liking whichever one they choose, and the teaching and experience is the same at all of them. They are all really nice.

Some people prefer PA and Mater simply because they are closer to school. Some people like RBWH cause it is bigger. It also depends where you end up living. If you end up living in CBD (the north side of the river) RBWH would probably be closer. Roughly the same amount of students are equally allocated to RBWH and PA, and a smaller cohort of about 50 are at Mater. Like I said, everyone I talked to likes where they are so it really doesn't make too much of a difference. At the end of the day, Brisbane is a pretty small city so it doesn't take that much time to get to any of the clinical schools.

You can choose a different clinical school 2nd year if you end up moving or wanting something different so you aren't locked in forever. You only spend roughly 1-2 times a week first year at the clinical school (1x per week for clinical coaching for 2 hours, and path pracs (1x a week or every 2 weeks depending, also 2 hours). We also go to the clinical school for random skills workshops like blood pressure/CPR/nutrition once in a while, but generally first year we don't spend too much time at the clinical school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All lectures are at St. Lucia. The only time you are at Herston is if you choose RBWH as your clinical school. The other two clinical schools are PA and Mater. It really doesn't matter which one you pick. Everyone ends up liking whichever one they choose, and the teaching and experience is the same at all of them. They are all really nice.

Some people prefer PA and Mater simply because they are closer to school. Some people like RBWH cause it is bigger. It also depends where you end up living. If you end up living in CBD (the north side of the river) RBWH would probably be closer. Roughly the same amount of students are equally allocated to RBWH and PA, and a smaller cohort of about 50 are at Mater. Like I said, everyone I talked to likes where they are so it really doesn't make too much of a difference. At the end of the day, Brisbane is a pretty small city so it doesn't take that much time to get to any of the clinical schools.

You can choose a different clinical school 2nd year if you end up moving or wanting something different so you aren't locked in forever. You only spend roughly 1-2 times a week first year at the clinical school (1x per week for clinical coaching for 2 hours, and path pracs (1x a week or every 2 weeks depending, also 2 hours). We also go to the clinical school for random skills workshops like blood pressure/CPR/nutrition once in a while, but generally first year we don't spend too much time at the clinical school.
Thank you so much!! That was very helpful :)

Reactions: 1 user
@mcat_taker or any other current student:
Any thoughts about UniLodge for housing?

Don't do it. It is overpriced and poorly furnished. Everyone I know who lives in UniLodge apartments is trying to get out. The rent they charge is obscene, just for the convenience of being close to school. I understand it seems nice to set up housing before getting here but trust me, wait until you arrive before finding a decent apartment. You'll have a better sense of location and value, and photos never represent apartments well.

Yes, of course it is stressful arriving and trying to find a place to live, but in the end it's worth it because you find something you really want. I was homeless through most of orientation and it worked out fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Don't do it. It is overpriced and poorly furnished. Everyone I know who lives in UniLodge apartments is trying to get out. The rent they charge is obscene, just for the convenience of being close to school. I understand it seems nice to set up housing before getting here but trust me, wait until you arrive before finding a decent apartment. You'll have a better sense of location and value, and photos never represent apartments well.

Yes, of course it is stressful arriving and trying to find a place to live, but in the end it's worth it because you find something you really want. I was homeless through most of orientation and it worked out fine.

Thanks for the warning!! :)
Any recommendations on where/how to start looking?
You're right that the real work will be when I get there, but can't hurt to think ahead while waiting right?

Thanks for the warning!! :)
Any recommendations on where/how to start looking?
You're right that the real work will be when I get there, but can't hurt to think ahead while waiting right?

Hmm, you could start familiarizing yourself with a map of Brisbane and looking at various neighborhoods online and maybe bus/ferry routes but there isn't much to think about until you get here. Also, once you get here you'll know your clinical school which could also shape how you look.

Once you get here you can hop on realestate.com.au which is a really easy website/mobile app that lets you filter for what you are looking for (also domain.com), you can use the website gumtree to look for spare rooms in people's apartments, and the UQMS marketplace which is a UQ Med Facebook group that people post in looking for roommates or apartments.

Honestly it's a pretty straightforward process. You find something online, you email or call and set up an inspection, you say yes or no.

Just to give you a better idea, MOST Ochsners gravitate towards St. Lucia, West End, South Bank/South Brisbane, Toowong, Milton, CBD, Woolangabba neighborhoods so you can start looking at those. MOST Australians in the class tend to commute from all over because a lot of them have cars.

Last edited:
Hmm, you could start familiarizing yourself with a map of Brisbane and looking at various neighborhoods online and maybe bus/ferry routes but there isn't much to think about until you get here. Also, once you get here you'll know your clinical school which could also shape how you look.

Once you get here you can hop on realestate.com.au which is a really easy website/mobile app that lets you filter for what you are looking for (also domain.com), you can use the website gumtree to look for spare rooms in people's apartments, and the UQMS marketplace which is a UQ Med Facebook group that people post in looking for roommates or apartments.

Honestly it's a pretty straightforward process. You find something online, you email or call and set up an inspection, you say yes or no.

Just to give you a better idea, MOST Ochsners gravitate towards St. Lucia, West End, South Bank/South Brisbane, Toowong, Milton, CBD, Woolangabba neighborhoods so you can start looking at those. MOST Australians in the class tend to commute from all over because a lot of them have cars.

How convenient is the commute from wherever you live off campus? Would getting a car be the best route?

How convenient is the commute from wherever you live off campus? Would getting a car be the best route?

Most Ochsner's do not have cars. It is pretty standard to commute from various parts of the city via the bus. I do know a few people who bought cars here but that was more so for the flexibility to make weekend trips/road trips and trips around the city, and not so much for the commute to class. Definitely not a requirement.

Last edited:
It seems like they have been a little more selective in giving offers this year compared to last.. like last year it seemed like everyone who got an interview got accepted

Yeah I'm still waiting to hear back as well. I got the email a couple of weeks ago that my interview results and completed app had been sent to UQ for review.

My post is delayed... I interviewed early this year and I received my acceptance offer on May 9th. Just finished sending all required payments documents and currently awaiting CoE. Hopefully it doesn't take that long!

Reactions: 2 users
A friend of mine went to UQ a couple years ago and recommended that I take a medical school prep course because UQ doesn't teach too well and doesn't prep for the Step 1. Past students, is this really true, should I look into take a med school prep course?

I bet a good amount do doctors in training or the likes. Most med schools, self study is the name of the game no matter how well they teach or how good the professor is. First aid + uworld + pathoma is all you need for a balling step 1 score. It's up to you if you're willing to do the work to get it, however.

When you buy OSHC through NIB policy, which Visa type did you guys put? Is it the "Higher Education Sector"?

When you buy OSHC through NIB policy, which Visa type did you guys put? Is it the "Higher Education Sector"?

Check the How to Accept guide. It contains details on this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

A friend of mine went to UQ a couple years ago and recommended that I take a medical school prep course because UQ doesn't teach too well and doesn't prep for the Step 1. Past students, is this really true, should I look into take a med school prep course?

Any idea on what courses to consider?

A lot of people use doctors in training.. I think there's a Kaplan one too if I'm not mistaken

Just finished up first semester of second year. Can confirm that UQ doesn't teach very well, especially STEP1 specific material. Some may disagree with me on that, but I find UQ's teaching pretty abysmal. It's loads better than it was first year though, as I think they are finally working out what they are trying to do with this new MD program.

Doctors in Training would be a good spot to start studying with. Their videos are pretty good, and while I wouldn't recommend it to do REAL study for USMLE, it is a good place to start during your first year.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know anyone from previous years who's gotten the endeavor scholarship mentioned in the Facebook group?
Seems like a good deal, but was just wondering how competitive the application is...

Just finished up first semester of second year. Can confirm that UQ doesn't teach very well, especially STEP1 specific material. Some may disagree with me on that, but I find UQ's teaching pretty abysmal. It's loads better than it was first year though, as I think they are finally working out what they are trying to do with this new MD program.

Doctors in Training would be a good spot to start studying with. Their videos are pretty good, and while I wouldn't recommend it to do REAL study for USMLE, it is a good place to start during your first year.

I really appreciate your input. Could you please shed some light what material is provided for us through the program and what more aid materials we ought to invest in?

Is everyone mostly signing up for OSHC through UQ because of the refund? Or is everyone looking into other insurance providers? Thank you!

I really appreciate your input. Could you please shed some light what material is provided for us through the program and what more aid materials we ought to invest in?

Don't invest in anything until you get into the first few months of your first year. There's material that gets passed around so you can see what you like. *I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND paying for a Firecracker subscription starting soon after your first mid-semester exam.*

The school started giving out subscriptions to the Becker System to first years along with a copy of First Aid. I don't find it nearly as good as Kaplan or as USMLE-Rx. I ended up buying USMLE-Rx myself.

Second year access to UWorld and practice tests.

Edit: I say giving, but you are really paying about $30,000/year more than normal international students to get that material.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Anyone interviewing in NOLA on friday?

I have a bad feeling I'm supposed to be getting things done now which I haven't been doing
Is the required paperwork just on the UQ website or will mededpath send it to us? And when is everything due?
I guess it's still early but don't want to miss anything

I have a bad feeling I'm supposed to be getting things done now which I haven't been doing
Is the required paperwork just on the UQ website or will mededpath send it to us? And when is everything due?
I guess it's still early but don't want to miss anything

Files are posted in the Facebook group

Files are posted in the Facebook group

Yup. They specify that these 7 documents must be completed by August 1st.

Yup. They specify that these 7 documents must be completed by August 1st.

I know those are due by August 1st and they are posted on FB, but what if someone doesn't have FB. How are they supposed to get the documents? They haven't sent me the documents yet, been accepted for a month now. I know, for myself, I got it done using the documents posted on FB. I would still like them to send the documents.